Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Living in Israel/Applying for Green Card to U.S.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:58 am
Anyone know who to contact in Israel in terms of green card issues?

My Canadian daughter started the process of applying for a green card (her husband is from the states) last December. They wanted to save money and not use a lawyer, thought they can do it on their own. But every time they submit their forms, there are mistakes and sets them back more and more. Every time it's costing them time & money. I think it's time to talk to someone, be it a lawyer or some professional to help them along. I know that if you apply from one of the frum communites in the states ie. Monsey, there is a free organization that helps you navigate the system. There must be something similar in Israel, no?

It's really getting to her now. She just had a baby and is terribly home sick.

Any advice would be really appreciated!!

Thank you!

shabbatiscoming

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 6:05 am
I could be wrong, but I dont think you can apply for a green card while living in Israel for america.
We asked about that for my husband (I am american, he south african) and were told that in order to apply for a green card you have to be living in america.
Again, I could be wrong, but not sure.

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 6:22 am
She did find out before she began the process and she was able to apply in Israel.

but she cannot enter the states while her application is still being processed.

Teomima

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:16 am
Perhaps she should try contacting AACI, maybe someone there can help.

amother
Cyan

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:27 am
She might not really want the green card unless she plans on living in the US. Once you have a green card, you have to "maintain residence" in the US, or you lose it. If she's getting her green card through marriage, it would take her at least 3 years to naturalize (at which point she would be a US Citizen so she wouldn't have to worry about abandoning her status). But until then, she would have to work very hard to maintain her status in the US, including living in the US.

Please read the first link (sparse information) about abandoning status, and the second link all the way to the end. This is important. She should not waste her time and money on this if she does not plan to live in America for an extended period of time. And any competent immigration attorney should be advising her of this.

http://www.uscis.gov/green-car.....dence

http://www.immihelp.com/greenc......html

edited to add: Unless she wants to live in the US, she can look into nonimmigrant visa options for entering the US: http://canada.usembassy.gov/visas.html

amother
Mauve

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 2:20 pm
What's AACI ?

She most definitely wants to live in the u.s. As soon as she can. So she wouldn't be wasting her time applying.....

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 3:51 pm
Hire a lawyer. An immigration lawyer on the US who is willing to talk by phone is probably a better bet than anyone in Israel. Yes, there is a cost, but if you are not good at filling out complex forms and logically arranging the required evidence - which isn't always obvious - going it alone just brings agrivation. Add in the unusual aspects, such as your daughter living in Israel but a citizen of Canada, and it is a case for a professional.

For those who asked, you must live in the US to maintain the green card, but it can be applied for and approved before entering the US.

Teomima

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 4:48 pm
AACI is the Association of Americans and Canadians in Israel. They have branches throughout the country, you can look it up online.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 4:30 am
The UJO no longer offers immigration services (this was the subsidized organization in NY you may have heard of).

Did they send the $420 and the application to the chicago lockbox? Why is it costing them money besides the application fee?

I ask because I just started this process myself for my husband.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 5:16 am
As far as I know it seems that every time they are supposed to submit the next set of papers, what ever they might me, (now they are up to the criminal check), they have to include some sort of payment. Or the check itself ie this criminal check costs money to get it done. They are way past the initial application stage.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating