Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Is this menu sufficient for a three year old?

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 8:56 am
Getting used to making sure my preschooler has a well rounded diet. Hopefully ill learn to make it healthier as well. Until now he received the Main meal and snacks in daycare.
So this is what he ate
Cocoa and some cornflakes and a scrambled egg
Pita with ketchup yellow cheese and tomato slices.
Plum
Two cookies
Hot dog and couscous and corn
Is this good enough?
Any suggestions or tips?
Thanks!

Scrabble123

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 9:20 am
That sounds like enough food in terms of actual amount, but he probably needs more leafy vegetables and possibly some milk or yogurt.

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 12:07 pm
Does he need leafy veggies everyday? He eats lettuce some days about twice a week ... What other leafy veggies would a three yr old eat?
He has milk in his cocoa a lot
I'm really clueless I grew up with zero awareness of healthy eating and I'm trying to do better to my own kids. We don't eat food coloring or any sweetened drinks for a start...
What else?

Raw

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:34 pm
It seems like he's getting enough food overall but does seem to lack fruits, and more importantly, vegetables. I personally wouldn't consider corn as a vegetable side. A few slices of tomato is better than nothing but not really sufficient.

Raw

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:38 pm
Some ideas that work for us:

Avocado
Steamed brocolli
Red peppers
Sautéed mushrooms
Vegetable soups
Adding spinach/kale to scrabbled eggs

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:46 pm
Lets say I add a blended soup packed with veggies. But hell only have it some days. How many veggies and fruits should he be getting each day.? Is it really realistic to have him eat five servingd??

Raw

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 1:55 pm
I don't worry about meeting a quota but I do make sure that there is always at least one vegetable at lunch and dinner, and that fruits are offered as snacks. Some days my kids eat 6 servings of vegetables, other days maybe 2. Don't stress to much, just always offer and try vary the produce.

happyfaces

Post Thu, Sep 03 2015, 5:22 pm
Maybe cut out the hot dogs. Its real junk. Can you give him real meat instead so he gets more protein?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics