Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
So, what new clothing are YOU wearing this holiday season?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

water_bear88

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 10:32 am
Source is in the Shulchan Aruch (I believe he takes it from Rambam, not sure if it's older than that).
Men are supposed to have meat and wine, women new clothes, and children nuts and sweets- each what gives them simchat yom tov.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 10:38 am
Someone in my neighborhood was downsizing so I bought a bunch of tops from her. I also got some clothes from a coworker that I am excited about. If I have the money and time I might buy a new snood or tichel.

amother
Rose

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 11:09 am
I never realized how spoiled I am until I read this thread.
I wud never think of going to a thrift store or a resale store to buy clothes. I'm really impressed by all u ladies that do so without complaining. I work while husband is in kollel and while we are trying to save abt extras towards buying a house... I still buy new clothes and accessories for dh, me and the kids.
This was very enlightening and I know to appreciate my lifestyle now!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 11:42 am
For me personally I found it was a stage of life. When I was newly married with some young kids not yet in School and not making yom tov I felt pretty comfortable with my salary as expenses weren't so large.

Now I have a few kids in school and tuition is 20,000+ (on the low side I know) so we don't feel as comfortable and I'm much more careful with what I spend. And making yom tov, I'm assuming that you aren't, can cost close to $1000 additional over normal budget if you eat meat and drink wine every time. In general its a more expensive time of year the older you get.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 11:55 am
DH has expensive taste on a klei kodesh budget so he started going thrift and consignment shopping a few years ago and got some great deals. I went with one day and found stuff I liked too. I was skeptical but the clothes have definitely held up over time and were reasonably priced. I much prefer consignment over thrift.

suzyq

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 12:07 pm
I found a couple great dresses at Kohl's, along with some nice tops also. With all their coupons and their recent sale, the prices were excellent.

amother
Mauve

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 2:44 pm
amother wrote:
Not sure if I'll make the switch to maternity yet or just look super fat in last years clothes...

I am wishing upon a star to make the switch from maternity by sukkot! Ahh! Bh for such problems!

sim

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 3:09 pm
A nice crisp white blouse from century 21. It will dress up any skirt I've got in my closet, and I'll accessorize with one of the scarves or sweaters I already have. And new pantyhose.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 3:24 pm
amother wrote:
I never realized how spoiled I am until I read this thread.
I wud never think of going to a thrift store or a resale store to buy clothes. I'm really impressed by all u ladies that do so without complaining. I work while husband is in kollel and while we are trying to save abt extras towards buying a house... I still buy new clothes and accessories for dh, me and the kids.
This was very enlightening and I know to appreciate my lifestyle now!

No hugs from me, I appreciate your feelings on this.
I'm large and have been able to find wonderful clothes. I have a rainbow of new cardigans, a few skirts this season, from Burlington and Dressbarn - I wear long - and I got a great buy on boots on Amazon. And I don't feel I need hugs for my frugality as I could never afford anything nearly as nice and love my new clothes.
I think you're still a responsible kollel wife Wink

Fabulous

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 6:27 pm
amother wrote:
I am wishing upon a star to make the switch from maternity by sukkot! Ahh! Bh for such problems!

Same prob!! I look fat in my clothes but not big enough for maternity. It's so hard and I have been trying to leave it for last minute but at this point I just don't have time left and it could change a lot from week to week at this stage of pregnancy already

amother
Coffee

Post Fri, Sep 04 2015, 6:58 pm
I got a black midi pencil skirt and a grey mock suede free form t shirt from Old Navy. Both together were just under $35.00.

5mom

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 3:07 pm
water_bear88 wrote:
Source is in the Shulchan Aruch (I believe he takes it from Rambam, not sure if it's older than that).
Men are supposed to have meat and wine, women new clothes, and children nuts and sweets- each what gives them simchat yom tov.

Gemara in pesachim

grace413

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 3:51 pm
I already have too many clothes but I'll be getting a lot of happiness from the meat and wine at our seudot.

water_bear88

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 4:00 pm
5mom wrote:
Gemara in pesachim

Thanks!

amother
Blonde

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 4:11 pm
I love the clothing gemach in Lakewood- I find beautiful dresses, and tops there, and they have tons of basic skirts. Plus I have gotten coats and other accessories there as well. Maternity... even new items...everything is like less than 6 dollars. Most of my wardrobe is from there... and I do not live in lakewood Smile

zigi

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:20 am
magazines, and through my dd's new clothes, I give up shopping for myself. I like comfortable clothing and anyways spend my time sitting on the steps outside of shul.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:41 am
Does anyone know if there are gemachs or the like with good quality things for women in Israel?
Cant either afford anything new but def. In need of some clothes

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:44 am
My first pregnancy, and I'm showing just in time to get new outfits for yom tov (no longer in that "awkward nothing fits, but not big enough for maternity stage"). Just arrived this past week in the mail Smile

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 5:45 am
water_bear88 wrote:

I thought it was clothes and jewelry for women. LOL

5mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 7:25 am
amother wrote:
I thought it was clothes and jewelry for women. LOL

Here's the gemara Pesachim 109a in English:
The Rabbis taught: A person is obligated to make his children and the members of his household happy on Yom Tov, as the verse says, “And you shall be joyous in your holiday.” And how does he make them happy? With wine. R. Yehuda said: Men with what is appropriate for them and women with what is appropriate for them. Men with what is appropriate for them - with wine. And women with what? R. Yosef taught: In Bavel, with colored clothing and in Eretz Yisrael, with pressed flax clothing

What I love about this gemara is how it recognizes that fashions vary by region. There's no such thing as a yom tov uniform for all women. You wear what's in fashion where you live.

I think that the Rambam added the line about jewelry. (He was in the precious stones business before he had to go to medical school to support the family. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...)
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics