Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
So, what new clothing are YOU wearing this holiday season?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:29 am
5mom wrote:
Here's the gemara Pesachim 109a in English:
The Rabbis taught: A person is obligated to make his children and the members of his household happy on Yom Tov, as the verse says, “And you shall be joyous in your holiday.” And how does he make them happy? With wine. R. Yehuda said: Men with what is appropriate for them and women with what is appropriate for them. Men with what is appropriate for them - with wine. And women with what? R. Yosef taught: In Bavel, with colored clothing and in Eretz Yisrael, with pressed flax clothing

What I love about this gemara is how it recognizes that fashions vary by region. There's no such thing as a yom tov uniform for all women. You wear what's in fashion where you live.

I think that the Rambam added the line about jewelry. (He was in the precious stones business before he had to go to medical school to support the family. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...)

Thank you!!!!! I tease DH about the jewelry and now I can tell him Rambam says so. LOL

5mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:39 am
amother wrote:
Thank you!!!!! I tease DH about the jewelry and now I can tell him Rambam says so. LOL

Rambam, Mishna Torah, Yom Tov, 6:18
Don't know of earlier sources (but that doesn't mean they don't exist). Anyhow, the Rambam's a good one, though you may not want to be bound by everything he wrote about women.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:40 am
5mom wrote:

I think that the Rambam added the line about jewelry. (He was in the precious stones business before he had to go to medical school to support the family. I wonder if that had anything to do with it...)

DH wants proof. Any idea where this is? Remember this is only in fun.

imasinger

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:41 am
I scored some new skirts from a sale at a fancy store n Lakewood when I visited this summer. $10 apiece. I will wear them with simcha.

(Now, if only OOT dry cleaning prices weren't almost as high as the cost of the skirts.)

I am also thinking about getting a few inexpensive books or games for me and my family,since that is another of our sources of simcha.

L K

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:56 am
Imasinger, do you remember the name of the store?

And thank you for reminding about games!!

amother
Blue

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:44 am
Fabulous wrote:
Same prob!! I look fat in my clothes but not big enough for maternity. It's so hard and I have been trying to leave it for last minute but at this point I just don't have time left and it could change a lot from week to week at this stage of pregnancy already

I was almost at this point pesach time this year. What I did was, I bought some new things from regular stores that fit me then. And I hope that they'll fit me once the baby is born until I fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes...

sky

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:45 am
imasinger wrote:
I scored some new skirts from a sale at a fancy store n Lakewood when I visited this summer. $10 apiece. I will wear them with simcha.

(Now, if only OOT dry cleaning prices weren't almost as high as the cost of the skirts.)

I don't know what skirts you got and don't want to steer you the wrong way - but many of these skirts, even if have lining can be washed on gentle.
If you share the brands maybe we can share experiences.

jkw

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:34 pm
To the imamother who asked about gemachs in Israel:

4 years ago, I volunteered in a gemach in Har Nof, Jerusalem.

It was called THE YELLOW DOOR.

All sorts of nice things. I even found a sheitel there!

Maybe someone here knows if it is still there and what the address/hours are.

I am still wearing the nice things I got there.

Hatzlacha!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:40 pm
My DD did some thrift shopping for me in the city a few weeks ago and and delivered me three complete outfits that were obviously altered for a shorter person like myself. A killer deal considering she paid less than $20 and that the find include a lovely unstructured suede vest.

myname1

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:46 pm
jkw wrote:
To the imamother who asked about gemachs in Israel:

4 years ago, I volunteered in a gemach in Har Nof, Jerusalem.

It was called THE YELLOW DOOR.

All sorts of nice things. I even found a sheitel there!

Maybe someone here knows if it is still there and what the address/hours are.

I am still wearing the nice things I got there.

Hatzlacha!

Last I heard it's still there, but also wasn't there too recently. Here's what I remember: I think they were open in the mornings. It's on Agassi, the 4th building or so on the right as you walk from HaKablan, on the ground floor (maybe a machsan).

There are also a couple of big ones in Mattersdorf, but maybe someone else can tell you if they're worthwhile. I think there is one in #1 or #3 Panim Meiros and one in #2 or #4. Sorry, my memory is clearly not so strong. The Hebrew and English phone books both usually have gemach listings.

Fabulous

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
I was almost at this point pesach time this year. What I did was, I bought some new things from regular stores that fit me then. And I hope that they'll fit me once the baby is born until I fit into my pre-pregnancy clothes...

Thanks! Went shopping today and it was so depressing. I look fat, not pregnant. I plan to try one or two more stores tomorrow and then try maternity stores, even though they probably won't fit well either

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 6:53 pm
Can you wear a stretch pencil skirt with an open cardigan/jacket and a fitted tucked out shell underneath? Wide belt over shell optional. That's what looked best on me at this stage. You can find trendy things that are open front.

sportynat

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 7:27 pm
Wearing the Esteez Paris stretch pencil skirt in the color sky blue, with the Esteez slinky 3/4 sleeve shell in sky blue and a royal
Blue chiffon top from Laura. That's one of my outfits. I wore it a couple of shabbosim ago and got loads of compliments. Gonna do an encore of that.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:26 pm
sportynat wrote:
Wearing the Esteez Paris stretch pencil skirt in the color sky blue, with the Esteez slinky 3/4 sleeve shell in sky blue and a royal
Blue chiffon top from Laura. That's one of my outfits. I wore it a couple of shabbosim ago and got loads of compliments. Gonna do an encore of that.

who did your wood floor?

youngishbear

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:37 pm
sportynat wrote:

Nice. And your sheitel is way nicer than the avatar's humdrum brown.

amother
Orchid

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:41 pm
Thank you for posting a pic! You look great, and its really helpful for me to see pix rather then try to visualize it.

sportynat

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 10:40 pm
Ok, so the floors were done by the contractor who redid the house...
Thanks for the compliments on the sheitel, gonna try to change the avatar!!!!! ;-)
I figured it would make a difference if I would just post a pic.... Glad I was right in my assumption Smile

gold21

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 11:09 pm
but I like the clothes I have.... why do I need to buy more stuff?
I buy when I need/want, which is at random times during the year.
as it happens, I like the clothes I have right now.
so.... I hope im still considered frum. lol.

amother
Lemon

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:05 am
A tangential insight about "amother":

At first reading through the thread I was going to post a reply sharing my cringe at all the posts about being borderline maternity - I mean, OP was asking for fashion advice, it didn't need to be an opportunity to rub your pregnancy in people's faces. Poor you, I look fat too and am not pregnant.

But then I saw Fabulous's post about same and felt the total opposite - like what-yay! I'm so excited for you! (seen you around here for a while, don't be creeped out, sorry!)

So that was my insight about amother. I understand why you might not be ready to share your news under your real name but maybe in that case you don't need to share it at all because it's totally meaningless without a name and just adds to the impression that the entire world is pregnant.

But in any case, my advice is to just wear maternity already. In a couple more weeks you'll be doing it anyway and the secret will be out, so why feel self conscious and fat looking for an extra two weeks? If you're noticeably fatter then they'll all be wondering if you're pregnant anyway. Remove the awkwardness on all sides by just putting on the maternity. It'll be fine. You'll look fine. You'll look a lot better than you will in anything else.

Also, would still love to see pics/links of people's yomtov wardrobes. I could use inspiration. I'm not really up to shopping right now but I'm hopelessly out of date. Maybe I'll try a thrift store but need to know what kinds of things to look for or I'll risk buying something even more out of style than I own already!

amother
Orchid

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:21 am
Amother above me, (im the OP). I get what your saying about the maternity vs looking fat thing. Its true, I asked for advice on what to wear. It happens to be that I have nothing to wear bc I was pregnant and it ended badly, and I was left just being a few sizes larger, and with out a baby.

But I actually didn't feel upset by those posts. I've also been in that phase. I know, it is awkward. But in the end you are right, you can't hide it forever, so it's better to feel good and wear what works.

And yes, more pics and links please! Someone posted that they got a mock suede shirt at old navy, but I can't find it on the site...

Thanks!
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics