Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Did you doodle in high school?
1  2  Next

Yes - All the time  
 60%  [ 127 ]
Yes - Some of the time  
 31%  [ 67 ]
No  
 3%  [ 8 ]
No - I was a good student  
 2%  [ 5 ]
Who gave you my number?  
 1%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 211

amother
Blush

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 9:47 pm

Volunteer

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 9:52 pm
There's some good evidence that for many people, doing another small manual task (such as doodling, manipulating clay, etc.) enhances concentration and improves performance, as well as classroom behavior.

yidisheh mama

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 10:23 pm
Only way I was able to concentrate during the subjects that bored me...

mommy3b2c

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 10:24 pm
What about the option yes- I was a good student?

animeme

Post Sat, Sep 05 2015, 11:45 pm
Doodling kept me from going stir crazy when I was bored in class, and allowed me to focus in on that second explanation I didn't generally need in case it came with extra information. I also often think better when my hands are occupied. Count me in for " Yes- I was a good student. "

In middle school, I once pulled out a set of markers to have more variety in what I drew. After a couple days, I was required to not use them, because while my teachers agreed that I was focusing and involved, I was distracting the kids sitting next to me. Smile

Mama Bear

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:20 am
I wrote entire novels during class. Sometimes they go confiscated. One even reached the principal and she was very impressed.
You can say my writing career started in high school. Very Happy

peekaboo

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 12:29 am
My margins were always full of doodles. And guess what? I am a graphic designer nowadays. My doodles took me places Wink

groisamomma

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 1:12 am
I asked a student of mine why he has 2 notebooks and not 1. He said one is for math and the other is for doodling: )

m in Israel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:25 am
All the time. The margins and inside and outside covers of all my notebooks are covered with scribbles, words, doodles, as were all my folders and pretty much anything else that ended up on my desk.

And as others have said, I was an excellent student (straight A's, class valedictorian). And I took great notes. But when I wasn't writing notes I needed to keep my hands occupied in order to concentrate. (I voted plain "yes" before I saw your option "no, I was a good student" Smile )

m in Israel

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:26 am
groisamomma wrote:
I asked a student of mine why he has 2 notebooks and not 1. He said one is for math and the other is for doodling: )

My son does this. He asks me to send him an extra notebook for doodling -- and he needs a new one every few weeks Smile And he is also a very good student.

Iymnok

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 2:56 am
I used to have doodles in my margins. Then my mother got me a nice sketch pad, so I drew there. My drawings were much better, and I wasn't embarrassed to share my notes or doodles.
My doodles also became higher quality since I only turned the page when I was done, not when my notes needed to continue on the next page.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 6:37 am
Yes I did, and whether I was a good student or not depended on whether the teacher wanted students to learn something or only cared about appearances, which I smell a whiff of in the choices.

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:15 am
Yes it kept me sane and I was a top student.
Also ended up in an art field.😊

Rubber Ducky

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:19 am
Yes, and I became a space planner/interior designer, and graphic designer.

ahuva06

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:23 am
I had a classmate who took notes in doodles. She used to draw out her notes in little characters with voice bubbles explaining the story.
I myself was also quite the doodler! Today I do graphic design Smile

bigsis144

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 8:29 am
My doodling never turned into a career, but my doodles were so intricate and unique that I ended up drawing the section divider pages for my 12th grade yearbook, and friends would often ask me to do a doodle of their name.

Sometimes teachers would pass my desk and get distracted themselves by my drawings Wink but I was a top student and found that doodling helped me stay focused.

wiki

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:01 pm
I was a very serious student, participated a ton and took notes that my friends would copy--but I was also a constant, compulsive, incurable doodler. I was a bit embarrassed by it and tried to stop it all the time, but simply could not.

Today I am a teacher, and my students always get a laugh to see that my grade book is filled with doodles too!

Needless to say, I tolerate my students' doodling completely, as long as their involvement in class is otherwise positive.

Stars

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 9:31 pm
Colored and doodled all day. Some teachers got annoyed, some appreciated that I was listening and not disturbing. It kept me sane during boring lessons. We even created some kind of book one year.

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:03 am
I was usually too busy taking notes but when teachers got repetitive or I was bored (or disinterested, distracted, had stuff I was worried about or on my mind too) I doodled the margins and had many extra doodle papers.
I became no artist over it and often drew the craziest of shapes and lines and sprouts (actually was pretty cool stuff at times) but still I was a good student and took serious notes first and foremost.

cityofgold

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:07 am
No. I daydreamed. Far worse!
I got good grades, but it wasn't a hard school.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics