Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
London, Stamford Hill, - new yishev coming...

pink flower

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 7:09 pm
I just heard that a group of askonim are in the planning process of developing a new yishev to accommodate approx 1000 families. Theirs no location given yet, but rumors going around that it is near Stanstead Airport, an hour from Stamford Hill.
DH says he is happy to be family no 51 and he would go even without family members joining, he claims with the current housing crisis, family will follow pretty soon.
I'm a bit skeptical how this would work out, facilities, schools etc..
What would be your opinion? Would you move?

londonn16

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 7:43 pm
I also applied, so did some of my family. I calculated that if 15 couples around my age with at least one baby from one chassidos then a school / cheder can straight away be founded. It would be lovely If a Dayan or Rov from one of the shuls ( satmer , belz etc) would move out then it would give a push for some of the same sect to follow

amother
Sienna

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 7:43 pm
If it's the same proposal I saw in the Trib a few weeks ago , most of the families who have signed up are Satmar . If that's your crowd then go for it. If not , then I'd stay away .

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:07 am
From what I've heard there will be different areas for different crowds. I've also heard that the founders insists on having a Rav in each area.

I haven't signed up yet, waiting to see how it unfolds. These things generally take years.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:11 am
Will the new community be under the flight path? If so, insist on top rate insulation and triple pane windows.

I used to live right next door to Boeing Field in Seattle, under the flight path to SeaTac airport. Trust me, you really, really, want to have good soundproofing. If they cut costs on building the housing, you will be totally miserable.

sourstix

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:19 am
if they are as desperate as boro parkers are to have a decent place to live for affordable pricing and the logistics make sense, then it wont take years. it depends on people really being serious about it. and how desperate they are. the fact that its an hour away from anything jewish will make it significantly harder. but it doesnt mean it cant happen. how did kiryas yoel start? not satmar at all just retelling what I have heard. I did hear it was difficult in the beginining but today its flourashing community. they have everything they need. just like lakewood and monsey. and btw lakewood also started without anything. it flourished. it doenst need many years it needs a vision and determination

sourstix

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:21 am
its definitely good to go with a good friend or family member. how would you manage the shopping? would you need to drive? with belz and satmar not allowing you should think about that. hey I dont know you it might not be an issue for you. but if its satmar they enforce this rule pretty much no?

pink flower

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 7:45 am
DH heard from friends that theirs a group of approx 30 families that will be moving in the next few month to Canvey Island. They are opening a boys and girls school strait away. My DH is saying he wants to join. I need more info before I can do such a drastic move.

studying_torah

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 8:48 am
Sourstix has an excellent point about shopping. You don't want to be an hour away from basics, and have to wait around till your husband can drive you.
How is the public transportation from there to the kosher shopping?

pink flower

Post Sun, Oct 18 2015, 9:35 am
Obviously their will be a local grocery for basics and with time other shops too. It takes an hour at the moment to get there, when crossrail comes in 2017 it will take around 40 minutes. DH runs a business here so he will come in most of the week, although he plans opening a second branch if we move. Your right about being an hour away from Jewish shops but at the moment, I'm already far away from decent accommodation here and decades away from buying my own house. Search on the Web houses for sale there, see what's on the market, I'm starting to accept that the price for moving might will be well spent...

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Oct 20 2015, 7:49 pm
It's encouraging the community leaders have thought about school issues from Day 1. Opening a kosher grocery shop is not too difficult, compared to other things like schools and mikvaot. Financially, the time to move and buy a house would be before Crossrail opens. Though a very good point about public transportation.

On a second thought, isn't Canvey Island further east on Essex? I don't think its anywhere near Crossrail link (eastward extension is toward Romford) is supposed to be.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Gerer community off Elstree? They've got a shul, enough grocery stores but I always wondered how they would manage without schools and just so-so transportation.

At least Ilford/Essex is not that far (and in generally same direction) than Milton Keynes...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics