Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads
Honey versus sugar

kidhugger

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 5:20 pm
Does anyone know how to substitute honey for part of sugar in WW challah recipe?
How does it affect the baking?
If you have a great WW challah recipe with honey for Rosh hashana let me know.
Thanks so much

abs

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 5:23 pm
I used to substitute honey for sugar in my R'H Challah but it made the Challah much heavier. I think I did 1/2 the amount of sugar the recipe called for. (If recipe calls for 1 cup sugar, use 1/2 c. honey)

mamita

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 5:47 pm
Yes. Honey is half amount of sugar. For sweetness. I often interchange. Didn't notice a difference in heaviness. I notice differences in challah due to weather

seeker

Post Sun, Sep 06 2015, 6:31 pm
I use about half. It works great for me. I let it rise a lot so it doesn't come out heavy.

zaq

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 2:00 pm
You have to use less water to compensate for the water in the honey.
The correct conversion of sugar to honey is this:
For each cup of sugar, use 3/4 c. honey and reduce the volume of water by 3/4 c.
To use sugar when recipe calls for honey, use 1-1/4 c, suagar and 1/4 c. water for each cup of honey in the recipe.

This is from Aish.com:

WHOLE-WHEAT CHALLAH
2 oz. (60 gm.) yeast
1/3 cup honey
3 cups warm water
2 eggs
1 tsp. sugar
1 Tbsp. salt
10 cups whole-wheat flour
poppy, caraway, or sesame seeds
1/3 cup oil
1 egg yolk

The following "sponge method" gives whole-wheat challah a lighter texture. Activate yeast in 1/2 cup water with sugar. Beat in remaining 2 1/2 cups of water, 5 cups flour, oil, honey, 2 eggs, and salt. Dough should now resemble a cake batter. Let rise 30-60 minutes. Punch down. Add the rest of the flour slowly, while kneading, until dough no longer sticks to fingers. Separate challah without a blessing. Cover with damp towel. Allow to rise again until double in size. Punch down. Shape into loaves. Place in well-greased loaf pans. Beat egg yolk and brush over loaves. Pat on poppy, caraway, or sesame seeds. Let rise for 30 minutes. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F. (175 degrees C.) for 30 minutes. Makes 4 medium challahs.
Variation: Substitute 1 cup wheat germ for 1 cup flour, and/or 1 cup soy flour for 1 cup flour.

Zaq's tips:

1. When you copy the recipe, list 1/3 c. oil just before 1/3 c. honey. The list of ingredients as given is senseless, since the oil has to go in at the beginning, not almost at the end. I'd have changed it but the website is copyrighted, after all.
2. First measure the oil, pour it into the mixing bowl, then measure the honey in the same measuring cup. The honey will slide out clean as a brand-new T-shirt. (What's clean as a whistle? Any whistle I've ever seen has generally been pretty grungy, or at least full of spit. Yuch.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Challah and Breads