Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Watching movies- what are your boundaries?

pointyshoes

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:03 pm
Im not sure if I put this thread in the right section but im just really curious what everyones veiws are on this:
I learnt in hischool and seminary that any movie distances u from Hashem and is really bad
Now obviously I didnt swallow that.
What do you all think? What would you and DH watch together? What would you allow your kids to watch? Why do they tell us that in hischool?? ???!!!

amother
Honeydew

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:40 pm
Oh, I learned that too, but that same school showed us movies that they deemed appropriate. Rolling Eyes
I can't answer your question though.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:45 pm
I never learned that in school or anywhere. My DH and I watch whatever we feel like watching. We are adults and can decide what we want to watch.

For my daughter? She is 7 so we let her watch age appropriate things, cartoon movies and the like.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:51 pm
I follow common sense as my mom did before me.

November

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 1:52 pm
This is a topic I am really passionate about. I believe that movies come with agendas- some are more subtle and some are more blatant. I am very careful about what movies my kids and I watch. Hollywood likes to push romantic ideas of how people look, act, fall in love and live that I don't find realistic or helpful. They also often have liberal or just plain consumerism agendas. I think movies often cause people to feel bad about themselves because they are not as (beautiful, rich, happy, patient, articulate, funny, etc) as what they see. And don't get me started about charedi movies. I find that they try to evoke as much emotion as possible. As if, if you haven't cried during the movie, it was not a good movie. Ugh. Sorry to be a spoil sport.

pointyshoes

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:13 am
November wrote:
This is a topic I am really passionate about. I believe that movies come with agendas- some are more subtle and some are more blatant. I am very careful about what movies my kids and I watch. Hollywood likes to push romantic ideas of how people look, act, fall in love and live that I don't find realistic or helpful. They also often have liberal or just plain consumerism agendas. I think movies often cause people to feel bad about themselves because they are not as (beautiful, rich, happy, patient, articulate, funny, etc) as what they see. And don't get me started about charedi movies. I find that they try to evoke as much emotion as possible. As if, if you haven't cried during the movie, it was not a good movie. Ugh. Sorry to be a spoil sport.

This makes a lot of sense so im curious how do u chill and have an outlet postpartem?

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:02 am
some movies do have an agenda, you can always discus the topics being shown. read the back story if it was based on historical facts.

gp2.0

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:08 am
I'm nauseated by gratuitous swearing, gore, violence and/or lewdness. Anything else I'm fine with.

Oh and I keep away from the thriller genre too because my imagination is terrible enough without any new ideas.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics