Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Have you ever been recognized on imamother?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:40 pm
Might be nice to let someone know if you have "identified them" so they will be more careful with posts knowing someone knows who they are.
I know this is my only place I can vent and private stuff I try to vent amother for the most part (except some of my sarcastic humor threads) but if I know that someone really knows who I am when I post amother especially (which I find difficult but I guess not impossible) I would absolutely like to know as I could be speaking Lashon Hara in that case as well as shaming ppl or sharing private personal details with the identifier that I don't want them to know.
I can't speak for everybody but I assume if you know who someone is you should really warn them that they are exposed before they post and shame themselves!!!

Anyone disagree?

boysrus

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:48 pm
only question is:

I have somebody who I recognize on here, she comes on very rarely compared to me, but she has posted so many details of herself that are very identifiable to anyone who knows her.
Do I have to PM her to say, watch out, I know who you are? Then she will want to know who I am, but I dont want her to know my identity, I have posted potentially sensitive things under my username. So what do I do? PM her saying "I know who you are", and refuse to tell her who I am? I think that once I PMd her, she would be able to figure out who I am just by reading my posts and being aware that it is somebody who she knows... so now what?

dimyona

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:56 pm
boysrus wrote:
only question is:

I have somebody who I recognize on here, she comes on very rarely compared to me, but she has posted so many details of herself that are very identifiable to anyone who knows her.
Do I have to PM her to say, watch out, I know who you are? Then she will want to know who I am, but I dont want her to know my identity, I have posted potentially sensitive things under my username. So what do I do? PM her saying "I know who you are", and refuse to tell her who I am? I think that once I PMd her, she would be able to figure out who I am just by reading my posts and being aware that it is somebody who she knows... so now what?

If she ever posts sensitive information on an amother enabled thread, perhaps respond as amother to be careful, and that others may know who she is.

I hope it's not me, and if it is, you know what to do Smile. lol

boysrus

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 11:58 pm
dimyona wrote:
If she ever posts sensitive information on an amother enabled thread, perhaps respond as amother to be careful, and that others may know who she is.

good idea, dimyona! no, its not you Smile

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:53 am
I have recognized several people IRL and we discussed it.

chani8

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:23 am
Do not tell people that you've figured out who they are in real life. Just wipe it from your brain. Dont try to figure out who people are. Show respect for people's right to privacy.

I am open, but even so, if we met IRL, I'd expect you to respect my privacy and not start blabbing about my posts in public.

seeker

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:40 am
dimyona wrote:

No, I don't like when people do that and I'll tell you why. Many people usually aren't thinking too hard trying to figure out who people are, because what are the odds that you will actually not only know them but guess correctly? But once you see another user say "by the way, be careful, I've figured out who you are" THEN you start thinking - hey really? who is that? If she knows maybe I know, where's the revealing info? And you start reading more carefully.

Maybe it's just me. But I hate public proclamations like that. They seem to invite more.

Better to contact her off imamother. You know who she is, so email or facebook messenger her saying "by the way, I happened upon something you wrote on this-or-that website and just wanted to let you know in case you weren't aware that you revealed some identifying info." And you don't tell her your username. Many of these forums can be read by non-users anyway, you don't even need to reveal that you're a registered user at all. She can be as curious as she wants but there is no reason for her to know your imamother name.

vicki

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:02 am
I was recognized by a very particular reference I made, but I put the reference out there with the intention of saying Hi to this person.
I also don't care if anyone knows whom I am. I don't put anything out here that I wouldn't say in the first 1/2 hour of meeting a new person.
The rest I put under amother.

I think.

sped

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:03 am
I was recognized by my sister, but I have no idea if anyone else did too.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 9:19 am
I recognized a few people. One person I pm'ed but didn't reveal myself and she didn't like it. I just felt like she would want to know that someone knows who she is, but she took it differently. Someone else I didn't want to pm because that in itself would out me, but I did post as amother on a thread where she was the op, with info that would hopefully make her aware that she was figured out. She was posting quite a bit of private and semi-private info, so I wanted her to know. I still don't know if she "got" it or if she cares, but I feel like I did mine. Another person recognized me and pm'ed me and now we are good friends (we hadn't even been acquaintances).

amother
cornflower

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 9:28 am
OOTBubby wrote:
Yes, but I was quite open so it was pretty obvious who I was to anyone who knew me. I didn't care. I don't post anything that I don't mind people knowing in my name. If there is something other than that I'd post anonymously, but I do that only very rarely.
lol I know who you are, I'm friends w some of your kids

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 9:32 am
chani8 wrote:
Do not tell people that you've figured out who they are in real life. Just wipe it from your brain. Dont try to figure out who people are. Show respect for people's right to privacy.

I am open, but even so, if we met IRL, I'd expect you to respect my privacy and not start blabbing about my posts in public.

Just double-liking this.

I'm pretty open about some things on this site, and I'm sure there are people that recognize me. But just because I post about something here, doesn't mean I want to meet you in the grocery store and discuss it IRL.

I consider my real-life social world to be totally separate from imamother.

The exception to this is cousins - I loved being contacted, twice, by relatives that figured out I MUST be related to them and asked who I am. That was really nice and fun.

SimchaSays

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 9:38 am
I would want to know if someone figured me out. One person has and she let me know. Anyone else knows me, please PM me!! Especially if you figure out my amother posts. I post there because I can get safe info anonymously but if it's not anonymous I want to know.
I know I often write similarly to how I talk...

be good

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:23 am
I would definitely like to know if I am identified, but I am grappling with whether or not to tell someone that I figured her out. She reveals many details about herself, and posts about things we have discussed. But I don't want to out myself.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:29 am
andrea levy wrote:
Anyone who was in Niagara Falls this summer knows who I am!

Hi Andrea!!! My husband still can't stop talking about the pizza crust!

amother
Wheat

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:45 am
sped wrote:
I was recognized by my sister, but I have no idea if anyone else did too.

Yes, I did.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:44 pm
I recognized my sister by a post relating to her kids birth order Wink
she had posted amother so I didnt get to figure out her name

and thats why I am amother now, if she sees this, she knows it me!

Hi sis!

Chayalle

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:01 pm
be good wrote:
I would definitely like to know if I am identified, but I am grappling with whether or not to tell someone that I figured her out. She reveals many details about herself, and posts about things we have discussed. But I don't want to out myself.

I don't think you owe it to anyone to out yourself just because you recognized them.

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:12 pm
be good wrote:

I think you should via pm. I would want to knnow.

Sanguine

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:41 pm
In the beginning I used my real name and where I live (didn't know this was such a Yenta site). So then I posted on LII - "Does anyone know me?" and a few people admitted that they knew who I was - Was fun guessing who they were - They gave me hints right in the forum. Then I changed my name to Sanguine and came to the main board here and asked "Did anyone go to Prospect Park 1976-80?" and I got answers there too (none my grade). Then I posted "Did anyone belong to Bnei Akiva in America?" Also got more answers

The funniest one was someone answered yes to Prospect Park and her avatar spot said she lived in Israel (but joined after I became Sanguine), said she was a year younger than me. I was going crazy trying to guess who she was. Suddenly it clicked. She didn't know who I was IRL. So I told her we were at each other's weddings!! I told her I was in her sister's class. She was on the phone asking her sister for help LOL. What happened was that I really knew her from Bnei Akiva, not PPYHS. So we didn't think of each other LOL LOL . We do know each other from years ago but don't see each other often. Point of story - Stop worrying about people knowing who you are IRL
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics