Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Rosh hashana

livinginflatbus

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 7:37 pm
For all of you that work, is your food all cooked and frozen already? I wanna make my meat in advance but don't want it to lose flavor

tichellady

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 7:54 pm
I'm cooking on Sunday and yomtov

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:18 pm
I cooked, sliced and froze my meat. Also my chicken soup broth. And noodles.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:21 pm
We like fresh food. Only roasts get made in advance, everything else on erev or yom tov itself. that's one of the benefits of yom tov - you can cook.

imasinger

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:39 pm
I do all baking further in advance, and freeze.

Also, soups and some dips.

Fish, meats, and most sides we do on erev YT. I like to slice salad ingredients, but not toss them until mealtime.

For me, cooking on YT generally seems to equal no shul for me, so I prefer not to do anything time consuming.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:20 am
imasinger wrote:

For me, cooking on YT generally seems to equal no shul for me, so I prefer not to do anything time consuming.

For me, cooking on YT equals not having a YT, so I prefer not to do any cooking on YT at all if I can help it. Every meal starts with fruit salad, which I make fresh, but you won't catch me slaving over a hot stove on my YT. People who don't like food that's been frozen are welcome to cook fresh if they want. So far no one's ever taken me up on it. The kids liked to bake sometimes when we had an oven with a pilot light, but baking for fun doesn't count.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:48 am
imasinger wrote:

Also, soups and some dips.

You can freeze dips? That's really good to know! Can you give me examples of what dips you make and freeze?

imasinger

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 5:52 pm
I have just cooked down tons and tons of tomatoes, to add to peppers sauteed in olive oil, and garlic. My DH calls it "Chuchuka", and says that's the name that his Moroccan friend gave the dip, but I think most people call it matbuchka.

I also might freeze a whole bunch of tapenade -- olives, jalapeno pepper, and mayo, processed in a blender.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics