Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Hosting Yeshiva guys..help!
1  2  Next

QUEENY

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:05 pm
I am hosting a bunch of 20 yr. guys for lunch on RH IH..I am not a big cook...THis is my plan but I need help ith more food

1. Marinara gefilte fish
2.5lb roast beef
3 Shnitzel
4. 2 deli rolls
. NishNosh salad
6.mini apple kugels
7. maybe a potato side dish
Dessert
what else can I serve...at least for 7 guys>

gmgv

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:10 pm
Your menu looks delicous and in my opinion enough. Make sure to have lots of challa and I'd recommend that you do make that potato or other starchy side dish

QUEENY

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:39 pm
You think its enough?...even though we r eating at 3.. they will be starving!!!

fbc

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:42 pm
Lol just make cholent!!! They won't care abt anything else, they're guys! Have a cholent and a deli platter and they'll b fine! But yes, I agree your menu looks great! For Another potato dish, I love potato bourekas. From kids in the kitchen cookbook. Very simple and delicious!! Basically make instant mashed potatoes from box. Cut a pastry sheet into 9 squares. In center of each square put some mashed potato. Close into triangle. Egg it, sprinkle with sesame seeds. Yuuuuuuum

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:24 pm
potato salad and cole slaw Smile and pickles

QUEENY

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:42 pm
Thanks!... appreciate it...r 2 round challahs enough?

gmgv

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:46 pm
I'd definitely have more than that although the sizes of challa do vary so I don't know how big your challos are

spring13

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:51 pm
There's a lot of yummy protein and starch there but only one salad. If you're having a big group, I guarantee there will be at least one or two who are somewhat more health conscious and would probably appreciate some extra vegetables. Can you throw in some sesame green beans or something like that? Maybe butternut squash or carrot kugel instead of apple kugel?

sv123

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:03 am
If you're ever worried that you don't have enough food, make sesame noodles! It's the simplest side dish and is very filling! You can even use whole wheat pasta and no one will ever know Very Happy but your menu sounds great! You may not even need anything else.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:52 am
I host yeshiva guys all the time, and your menu sounds perfect. Nish nosh salad always goes! If you think you might need one more thing, make an israeli salad to serve with the fish. I started doing that and it really gets eaten also.

Yes, tons of challah. But once there is no more challah, there will be other food to eat. No need to worry. 2 big challahs is fine.

iloveey

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 7:34 am
I have about 5-7 guys every Shabbos...a good tip is that I serve buffet style for the main course since everyone likes different things and they see exactly what there is..it saves me from throwing out untouched food and they feel comfy taking doubles... They like spicy things....I always have plenty of dips and for seven guys I have one large challa one medium and one whole wheat...you would be surprised a lot of boys eat ww challlah

Sanguine

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 8:00 am
I'm not in the same country as you (Roast Beef?!!), but I do have 3 sons 18 and up and it's normal for them to bring friends too so I'll tell you what I would do differently so maybe something would help you.

Big boys eat a lot. Quantity is important. Things that take work aren't appreciated - save that for the girls.

Challah with Chomous, techina... a full Challah course
1. Marinara gefilte fish Fish is optional. You can make loaf G. fish
2.5lb roast beef Cholent
3 Shnitzel
4. 2 deli rolls
5. NishNosh salad
also cabbage salad - I don't know what NishNash salad is as opposed to regular tossed salad but have salad)
6.mini apple kugels Noodle kugel - Definitely not mini. Potato kugel too or carrot kugel
7. maybe a potato side dish Just oven roasted - actually you can skip the potato kugel if you serve potaoes
Rice!! - plain rice is fine.
Dessert Definitely! but quantity is more important than quality (skip the petit fours Wink )

OP - I think differently than you for a few reasons.

1 - Cost. I'm in Israel. I would never serve a meat to a group of guest boys...
2 - I'm used to cooking for big hungry crowds (like every Shabbat)
3 - I'm not into fancy cooking. (see #2)

Yes, boys like nice food but mostly they want to eat Very Happy

MitzadSheini

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 8:43 am
Just curious- what is Nish nosh salad?

Smile1234

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 8:47 am
Here's a thread about it - http://www.imamother.com/forum.....art=0

There are a few variations to the dressings - I think mine is slightly different than what is posted in this thread.

Barbara

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 9:53 am
--

Last edited by Barbara on Wed, Sep 09 2015, 3:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

cuffs

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:26 am
Your menu sounds great! With the fish how about 2 dips or something? I would make the potatoe dish plus rice with the meat. This way you'll have plenty to go around and won't need to be nervous at all. I have guys all the time.

israelgirl

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:38 am
I have guys from Yeshiva constantly and I pretty much think anything goes. I used to think they don't notice presentation but I think that is just a stereotype.

Are you in America? Because in Israel 5 lbs of Roast beef has GOT to be more than 300 shekel!

I would do something like this:
TONS of Challah (Whenever I make reg or ww they ALWAYS finish the WW)
Marinara Gefillte Fish
DIPS! (Olive/Tomato/Jalapeno (big hit)/ Guacamole-you get nice colors like this Smile
Nish Nosh Salad
Purple Cabbage Salad
Roast beef (I always stretch this by making enough meat for everyone to be yotzai (1 or 2 small slices) and serve a shnitzel with that (fried/sesame chicken/baked with veg)
Shnitzel (Like above)
I'd skip the deli roll-you've got lots of meat/chik options)
Potato Knishes (ALWAYS go and SO easy)
Mini Apple Kugels
And I always serve a hot green veg with the sides. Pretty and healthy (Think Green beans/roasted veg/roasted brocolli etc)
Dessert (I find ice cream/sorbet goes best after they are so full. I put platters of cake/fruit on the table for anyone who wants to help themselves)
AND (but this is Israel) it wouldn't be complete without a huge tray of garinim shechorim and pumpkin seeds with the dessert (only if you don't want them out of the house quickly-this can last a while Smile)

HAVE FUN!!! You!getting me excited for YT!

Smile1234

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:57 am
Popcorn is also a great thing to put out by dessert.

Carmen Luna

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 12:25 am
im having bochurim too. im making the following

3 big challos
chatzilim/chumus/dill dip/jalapeno dip/tomato scallion salad/roasted garlic I dont buy dips
salmon fish
leek and pastrami soup
beer battered nuggets with dipping sauce.
french fries
oyster steak (after its grilled I slice them horizontally and place 3 slices on each plate)
ramen noodle salad
dessert - pomegranate/mint slush with scoop of lemon sorbet and cinnamon sticks. heaven. guys love it too

Carmen Luna

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 12:30 am
and btw., guys DO see the difference in presentation. I love preparing nice dishes. I coat the salmon with stripes of black and white sesame seeds. trick is to put all slices together while coating it so when u seperate the slices its perfect)
I have soup plates that have a small bowl but a huge rim which I place a sesame stick on top of a little baby arugula and garnish the soup with fried bits of pastrami
I have nice cones to put the fries in to make it presentable
and the desser I put in margarita glasses, I pour in the slush, put 3 cinnamon sticks inside and place the scoop of sorbet in between the cinnamon sticks to support the sorbet from falling into the slush
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus