Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What's with all the "amother" posts?
1  2  Next

shoshanim999

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:33 pm
Unless I'm missing something the only reason to post amother is so that people reading the post can't identify details and figure out who you are IRL. Other than that why are so many posts "amother"? Posters sometimes say "I'm going amother because I'm going to get bashed". Um, with the exception of a few people on this site who have real websites or information linked with their screen name, your screen name essentially makes you anonymous. If I post something absurd or ridiculous under my screen name "shoshanim999", no one knows who I really am. I might be a 15 year old boy in my parents basement or a 85 year old man with nothing better to do. "Shoshanim999" is already anonymouse.....why all these "amothers"?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:36 pm
I want to give my opinion, and be part of the discussion , but I am not confident enough to post under my screen name and have everyone know that my screen name feels this way.

I guess I am just shy.

oliveoil

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:02 pm
amother wrote:
I want to give my opinion, and be part of the discussion , but I am not confident enough to post under my screen name and have everyone know that my screen name feels this way.

I guess I am just shy.

That doesn't sound shy. Just wimpy.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:07 pm
Ok, you said!
I am a wimp!

happy to be me

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:33 pm
amother wrote:
Ok, you said!
I am a wimp!

So now you can change your username to wimp LOL

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:35 pm
happy to be me wrote:
So now you can change your username to wimp LOL

Lol! I think I will add a link to this thread in my signature! It will be perfect!

trixx

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:36 pm
Also, like, who cares? It's exhausting enough to carry on a real-life persona, but to maintain an online one as well? I feel like contributing your voice to discussions helps others understand you better, across the board.

boymom

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:41 pm
yes, I wonder about that all the time. but when someone uses amother out of fear of being bashed- even though its cowardly, I can understand them a bit. when u schmooze here often enough, you feel that your username is your identity. and if you are going to say something that most posters are against, you don't want your "good name" to be tarnished.

OTOH, I have seen anonymous posts that omg! really no reason to be anon:
for example: "hugs to you OP" or " that's a nice idea" or "how did you make your chicken ala noodlepie"
when pple post anon for such comments, it leaves me..... Scratching Head

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:45 pm
boymom wrote:
yes, I wonder about that all the time. but when someone uses amother out of fear of being bashed- even though its cowardly, I can understand them a bit. when u schmooze here often enough, you feel that your username is your identity. and if you are going to say something that most posters are against, you don't want your "good name" to be tarnished.

OTOH, I have seen anonymous posts that omg! really no reason to be anon:
for example: "hugs to you OP" or " that's a nice idea" or "how did you make your chicken ala noodlepie"
when pple post anon for such comments, it leaves me..... Scratching Head

Hugs to you, boymom. Oh, and can I please have the recipe for the chicken ala noodlepie? Thanks!
Anon for obvious reasons Very Happy

gp2.0

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:46 pm
I think it's usually the new posters. It's a safe way for people new to the forum to ease their way into posting. It's a transition to freely tell strangers your opinion under a username they will thereafter associate with you. I think eventually the amothers come out of hiding and start posting with their screen names but by then there are new posters using amother. That's my theory. So people, stop hounding the amothers (unless they're being rude) because chances are that'll make them more likely to start posting with their screen names!

amother
Floralwhite

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:46 pm
amother wrote:
Hugs to you, boysmom. Oh, and can I please have the recipe for the chicken ala noodlepie? Thanks!

That was a nice idea!

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:51 pm
amother wrote:
That was a nice idea!

Thanks Wimp. Hey, it's actually a cute name! Very Happy

runninglate

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:52 pm
oliveoil wrote:
That doesn't sound shy. Just wimpy.
And I'm sure responses like this will help her feel a lot more comfortable. Not.

MrsDash

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:53 pm

youngishbear

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:54 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks Wimp. Hey, it's actually a cute name! Very Happy

Start keeping a diary. Diary of a Wimpy Imamother is the next frum bestseller.

youngishbear

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:55 pm
MrsDash wrote:

And now I know why those sites make me type xgki76dtkwthleemeealonalready to "prove I'm human".

happy to be me

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:25 am
MrsDash wrote:

Based on the above theories the dog would want to retain its anonymity. Especially when they're afraid everyone will bark at what they say. It's ruff.

Last edited by happy to be me on Tue, Sep 08 2015, 8:49 am; edited 1 time in total

out-of-towner

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:32 am
youngishbear wrote:

Can't wait to read it!

And as for OP, I am out-of-towner on this site, but many people know who I am IRL. Sometimes I may not want people to associate my opinions and posts with the real me. This is a safe haven for posting what I may want to express without it coming from my mouth IYKWIM.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:53 am
youngishbear wrote:

Shucks! I would but I can't doodle! How will I draw the pictures?

Sanguine

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 4:53 am
out-of-towner wrote:
I am out-of-towner on this site, but many people know who I am IRL. Sometimes I may not want people to associate my opinions and posts with the real me.
Great SN for someone who lives in Brooklyn, NY IRL Very Happy.

I would like to see the SNs of the people who give LIKEs to posts like FB does. Are the 40 LIKEs all from people who are similar to that person (hashkafically, age...) or do people from a totally different background agree too. Nameless (SNless) LIKEs mean nothing.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics