Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dressy Boys' Clothes - So Frustrated!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 8:52 pm
Am I the only one in all of Brooklyn who is just at a complete loss for what to do? Does everyone but me have so much disposable income that they can spend so liberally on clothing for little boys? I am really not a fashionista, and I absolutely hate shopping. Even for childrens' clothing. So I turn to all you imamothers for help. I have not yet bought anything new for any of my family members for yomtov. I braved the jewish stores today (I HATE shopping in crowds) out of desperation, but I quickly abandoned that project. Everything was so expensive! BH we are not "poor," but after tuition payments factor in, we are just scraping by. I cannot afford to spend $70 (and that was on the lower end) on one outfit just for a two year old. Each child need at least two shirts and two pairs of pants over a yomtov. My two year old literally has no shabbos clothing left. But I can't buy him shirts for $35-$40, and to be honest, I don't even want to. I have other boys as well. Do people really spend upwards of $300 per child on dressy clothing they will soon stain and/or outgrow? How do people do it? Especially those of you with large families. And this is before the expensive Shabbos shoes!

Where else can I shop? I don't place much value in fashion, but I don't want my children to stand out as "nebach" either. I tried looking in non-jewish stores, but they don't seem to have anything even remotely dressy (it looks like dressing girls from non-jewish stores is a lot easier in that respect). For boys they seem to sell just khakis and plaid shirts with maybe an oxford shirt or two. So I ask all of you who do not purchase $70-100 outfits for your boys, where do you shop?! Please help, I'm really desperate at this point. Thanks.

momofqts

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:03 pm
Where do u live?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:08 pm
Brooklyn, NY.

Bitachon101

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 10:26 pm
I am in a similar situation.....
Totally get ya!
I actually saw some cute shirts on amazon for $12.99 for boys pretty trendy and wished I could buy a few but wasn't in the budget but I did get one for each kid.

Amazon often has free returns especially if u can get prime which offers 2 day ship.
You can even get a few sizes and return the ones that didn't fit right.

Some brands that I recall that had some nice stuff were Nautica, Elie Balleh, and some others which it will show you as suggestions based on ur search.

Also I saw some cute stuff for toddlers on kohls website if you shopping for 4 and under.

salt

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
I cannot afford to spend $70 (and that was on the lower end) on one outfit just for a two year old. Each child need at least two shirts and two pairs of pants over a yomtov. My two year old literally has no shabbos clothing left. But I can't buy him shirts for $35-$40, and to be honest, I don't even want to. I have other boys as well. Do people really spend upwards of $300 per child on dressy clothing they will soon stain and/or outgrow?

Why $300 per child if an outfit is $70?
I didn't follow.

watergirl

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:04 am
salt wrote:
Why $300 per child if an outfit is $70?
I didn't follow.

$70/outfit, get 2 outfits thats $140. Who gets just 2? By the time you get the extra shirt, then the $90 shoes, your close to $300!

Op - go to the childrens place and get the khakis and polos with the vest over it. Im assuming you arent bringing the 2 year old to Shul. Dont spend a ton to make your kid wear this stuff just to eat and play with. Im sure you wont be the only smart mom there who doesnt baaaa along with the rest of the sheep.

amother
Babyblue

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 2:43 am
Amazon has very nice outfits for boys try searching ' toddler boys knickers' on Amazon bought last year got tons of complainants on it. Someone even rented it for a wedding!!!!

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 4:09 am
Same here. I did a lot of digging online. Try Zara they have some shirts for like 15 dollars. H&m sometimes has shirts or cardigans that can work. I also got pants on Amazon search for slim or skinny dress pants for toddler u can sometimes find in the 20-25 dollar range or cheaper if u are lucky. Add suspenders or a bow tie from Amazon u can get for like 5 dollars to sharpen up any outfit. It's hard. U don't wit ur kids looking so out of place with loose pants and a plaid shirt when everone is wearing slim fitting pants and sharp patterned shirts with bow ties. Not everyone will care but it do so I really get u. I'd be happy to pm u some links if u want.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 5:04 am
Would you mind posting the links here so all can benefit? I am interested as well. Very Happy

livinginflatbus

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 5:42 am
I got complete outfits at h and m. Shirts cardigans pants.. Their baby stuff are adorable but it runs really big

rosenbal

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 5:45 am
I've been lucky with next direct website in the past. Not sure if you have time though.

What about Shirt Stop? I order online (shirtstop.us) but they're in Flatbush and although it won't be like Children's Place, they definitely seem less expensive than typical Brooklyn prices. Especially if you look at sale items.

Raisin

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:45 am
I got some really nice shabbos shirts and trousers for my 2 year old son in the next sale. paired with plain trousers he looks very smart. There is no way he would wear a tie or bow tie but I've got those cheaply enough from Marks and spencers or similar.

This type of clothing often goes on sale in late december so stock up then for pesach (if not too wintery) and next year.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:49 am
Yes, the dressy clothes are in abundance at the end of October and go on sale late December, so buy then for next year so you're not in this predicament again.
Good luck!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:52 am
ra_mom, I know about those sales in December, but buying in advance just doesn't work out for me. I can't seem to figure out what sizes my kids will be the next year, and anything seasonless is invariably sold out in the sizes I need. I think I once got a sale sweater and another time I lucked out with weekday pants on sale, but that's it.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:54 am
I'm usually the same way but things like tops are usually something that can be bought ahead of time. Not necessarily pants or skirts.

yamz

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:02 pm
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I have bought pants on Next and will probably do so again. Are the shirts of decent quality? They don't seem to have much anyway. Hopefully I'll luck out with Zara or Kohls.

I went out to Jewish stores again today, and the prices were even worse! $60 for a shirt, $112 for a sweater... and there are hordes of people buying them! It really makes me scratch my head in bewilderment because there are so many people crying poverty, but obviously these stores have the clientele to stay in business.... and a family with an average or even above average income with several children would not be able to afford to clothe their children in such finery. I just don't get it. I guess I probably shouldn't ask too many questions, because I wouldn't like the answers, but it does make me feel a bit resentful.

bnm

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:09 pm
Gymboree posted some coordinating girl/boy/baby stuff today. I love the suspender pants and vests for the baby boys.

happyfaces

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:19 pm
Can you plz post pic or link from gymboree?

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:20 pm
Since everyone seems to have boys on this thread, would like to say this:

I have two boys. One wears size 12. The other wears size 7 or 8. I have lots of beautiful weekday and shabbos clothing that I am interested in giving away. It clutters up my house and I would like to share it with someone frum who will appreciate that it is fine childrens wear. Please let me know if you want some.

mha3484

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:30 pm
I get DS sets from burlington. Pants, button down shirt and vest. $20 max.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics