Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Which organizations? (tzedakah question)

amother
Linen

Post Mon, Sep 07 2015, 9:38 pm
As Rosh Hashana approaches I realize I am very behind in my maaser and have some to give that is not yet pledged to anywhere specific. I would like to donate to causes that are close to my heart and would like to know whether there are organizations that are truly helpful in these areas. (I already have several other organizations that I donate to, but am looking to make a donation specifically to these types of causes as well.) I would especially like to hear of organizations that have helped you or someone you know specifically because a lot of organizations say they aim to help with something but aren't really effective (speaking from experience) while others may be less well known but do a lot of good for the few people they reach. I am looking for the ones that are truly doing good, not just doing good marketing!

1. Helping people with mental health issues, including costs of specialized therapies not under insurance.
2. Funding Jewish education, especially for kids with special needs (and no I don't mean your kid's school's scholarship fund, I mean an organization that will help vulnerable families get their kids into school or afford a special school or tutor for someone whose needs are not being met in the more affordable schools)
3. Shalom bayis help. I know about Shalom Task Force. I'm sure they have a place and maybe their workshops helped someone. My personal experience hasn't been that exciting. Anything else?

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:12 am
omg that would be amazing an impartial person to help figure out what school is an appropriate placement. also funding the lawyer or advocate is a large expense. www.souliisoul.org but they only work with one community

zigi

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 6:15 am
Sinai is fundraising, the parents barely pay anything. http://sinaius.com/ they are for Russian kids who are in public school go to yeshiva.

amother
Linen

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 9:16 am
zigi wrote:
omg that would be amazing an impartial person to help figure out what school is an appropriate placement. also funding the lawyer or advocate is a large expense. www.souliisoul.org but they only work with one community

That's a good point; many children could be served better by hiring a lawyer to get the dept of ed to pay for special schools rather than paying for the school itself. WHY is there no organization about this? You could pay a lawyer around $6000 and not have to pay the school $50,000

amother
Linen

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 11:09 am
Isn't there ANYTHING that helps fund mental health services? I have personal experience that clinic/hospital/insurance covered psychiatrists (for example) are very limited and if you want anything in depth you need to pay out of pocket hundreds per visit. Also evaluations for kids with special needs - you can get something very basic and standard through the DOE or health insurance but there is so much more to look into only it costs a fortune. I would love to support an organization that helps with that. And also possibly request their help as well!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 11:28 am
For children's neuro psych evaluation you can contact Columbia's Morgan Stanley Children's Hospital's clinic or the clinic at Mt. Sinai. Wait for appointment is long.

goforit

Post Sun, Sep 13 2015, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Isn't there ANYTHING that helps fund mental health services? I have personal experience that clinic/hospital/insurance covered psychiatrists (for example) are very limited and if you want anything in depth you need to pay out of pocket hundreds per visit. Also evaluations for kids with special needs - you can get something very basic and standard through the DOE or health insurance but there is so much more to look into only it costs a fortune. I would love to support an organization that helps with that. And also possibly request their help as well!

Most bicker cholims have a fund for private evaluations. What people do is call all bicker cholims of there area Boro park satmer bobv far rockaway and get a bit from everyone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics