Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
Terrible tragedy in Jerusalem
1  2  Next

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 10:44 am
http://www.ynetnews.com/articl......html

etky

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:23 am
The police now think that they left a blech on over Shabbat, and because they closed all the windows the fire did not have sufficient oxygen and produced CO which is toxic. The flame eventually went out, and when it did, the poisonous cooking gas was also released throughout the apartment.
Apparently the table was still set for a Shabbat meal that never took place Crying

JMM-uc

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:34 am
They only found them today. Apparently they've been dead since shabbos.

So so horrible!!

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:01 pm
BDE

Ad mosai? Crying

June

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:09 pm
How horrible that they were so alone that nobody found them until today

BDE

singlemom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 12:36 pm
Terrible tragedys.. one after another .I just can't take it anymore Teary Eyed

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:05 pm
OMG, BDE Crying

myself

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:25 pm
How terrible!!! Crying

boysrus

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:48 pm
Crying BDE

mfb

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 3:52 pm
Bd"e so tragic

boysrus

Post Tue, Sep 08 2015, 11:34 pm
Does anyone know anything about the couple who died? not trying to be nosy, just anxious. Too often recently I have discovered that I actually know the victims of tragedies Sad

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 3:07 am
Horrible. Just horrible. I have a 2 year old stove and if a flame goes out the gas stops coming out. My daughter's friend's dad turns off the gas main EVERY NIGHT even though it's outside the building.

ora_43

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 3:17 am
boysrus wrote:
Does anyone know anything about the couple who died? not trying to be nosy, just anxious. Too often recently I have discovered that I actually know the victims of tragedies Sad

Their names have been published. They were Yaniv Yehuda and Rachel Peretz. He was originally from France, she was originally from the United States, and they were living in Romema in Jerusalem.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 6:00 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Horrible. Just horrible. I have a 2 year old stove and if a flame goes out the gas stops coming out. My daughter's friend's dad turns off the gas main EVERY NIGHT even though it's outside the building.

From what I understand - the cooking gas was not what killed the couple.
They died from CO poisoning. CO was produced because the flame under the blech did not get enough oxygen and all the windows were closed so the CO could not escape. Apparently they had also put foil on the stove and this further impeded the flow of oxygen to the flame.This is what killed the couple. The cooking gas was released only after the flame went out, long after the couple had already, lo aleinu, succumbed to CO poisoning.
This is what the neighbors in the building smelled several days later.

imasinger

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 6:04 am
So sad, BDE.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 6:13 am
June wrote:
How horrible that they were so alone that nobody found them until today

BDE

They were a young couple in their (early?) thirties and they hadn't yet had kids.
But it seems, from what I've read, that they were in steady contact with their neighbors and used to share Shabbat meals with them regularly. They were described as friendly, intelligent people. Yaniv worked in hi-tech and Rachel was an investments advisor.

What alerted the neighbors, aside from the smell of gas, was a package of seforim that had been delivered to the door and not collected for a number of days. The neighbors then tried to enter the apartment with a spare key that they had been given by the couple but the door was locked from inside so they called the fire department.

What strikes me so about this horrible tragedy is how preventable it was and how it could cv"s happen to anyone. I, for example, had no idea about how CO is produced if the flame doesn't get enough oxygen and of the neccesity to leave windows open when the stove is on. I am very aware of the hazards of cooking gas and of heating gas and of all kinds of fire hazards but not about this, at all.
I don't use a blech but I'm wondering if those who do know about this potential hazard and if certain precautions bear reiterating.

Shuly

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:53 am
We left a blech on with our windows closed and our carbon monoxide detector went off. The flame was still burning. We were told to never leave a fire burning for a long time without leaving a window open.

myself

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:37 am
etky wrote:
What strikes me so about this horrible tragedy is how preventable it was and how it could cv"s happen to anyone. I, for example, had no idea about how CO is produced if the flame doesn't get enough oxygen and of the neccesity to leave windows open when the stove is on. I am very aware of the hazards of cooking gas and of heating gas and of all kinds of fire hazards but not about this, at all.
I don't use a blech but I'm wondering if those who do know about this potential hazard and if certain precautions bear reiterating.

That's what Carbon Monoxide detectors are for.

Chayalle

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 11:30 am
myself wrote:
I would guess an open window is for protection on top of that, in case of detector failure.

This is so tragic.

etky

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 11:36 am
myself wrote:

We had one in our previous home, because we had a heating system that ran on gas.
It would never have ocurred to me to install one had we not had that system, for the stovetop alone.
Most people I know do not have one.
Also, it never occured to me that a small flame under a blech might be dangerous in that particular respect. While I definitely would be wary about it being a fire risk and would take measures to ensuring that the flame not go out and release poisonous cooking gas, I wouldn't know to leave a window open or worry that it not have enough oxygen.
As I said, I don't use a blech (I don't even cook on gas) but I'm wondering if people who do use one know all the attendant safety rules.
The carbon monoxide detector should be the last line of defense.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics