Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Cleaning lady wants HUGE raise
1  2  Next

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:52 pm
My cleaning lady who's not so great want a huge raise, I'm trying to figure out what the average cleaning lady gets paid in brooklyn. Please help?!?!

Annonymous cuz discussed a lot irl.

MagentaYenta

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:00 pm
What is 'a huge raise'? 50% over market?

LifesBliss

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:13 pm
$10 an hour

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:14 pm
25 percent more per hour than she was getting, and she's claiming everyone gets that. So I'm trying to figure out if she's right or not.

Bsimcha

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:29 pm
In Brooklyn, mine gets $12 now. When they ask for a raise it's time to evaluate how much their worth to you. I switched not long ago as mine was not so great and wanted $12. I tried a few until I found someone I like and she wanted $12, I feel she's worth it.
She works hard and feels compensated for her time. I have the help I desperately need. Very Happy

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:31 pm
Wow that is so cheap. In teaneck I pay 2 ladies 100 to clean my house - takes them ~2 hours.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:37 pm
It's a minimum wage job, so $25 sounds like a ton.

I pay my cleaning lady $12 in Brooklyn. Before yomtov they often demand $15.

causemommysaid

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:48 pm
I think standard wage for cleaning help is between 12-15 and hour depending on location. Brooklyn is probably on the lower end of the spectrum.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:50 pm
I pay $10 before pasach $12

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:03 pm
causemommysaid- I think in tristate area its cheaper then OOT...at lease in comparison with other salaries.

nosher

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:11 pm
$10 an hour

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:22 pm
Monsey. I pay $12 but she has a car and drives. Most take 10-11 plus transportation

Fabulous

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:27 pm
I paid $10 and mine (pretty good) wanted a raise to $12 because she was getting that from a factory she works in. She was only working for me for about a year and a half. I gave her in between, $11. I also give occasional bonuses and treat her very well.

nyer1

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:29 pm
going rate used to be 10 an hour.. ur lucky nowadays if u can find someone 2 do it for 10. going rate is more like 12-15. (I happen to still have a lady who takes 10)

Merrymom

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 11:33 pm
You're forgetting that this is all tax free so it's not exactly a real minimum wage job.

abby1776

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 2:08 am
In Monsey I haven't paid $10 an hour in years. Now I pay $15. My lady drives her own car.

abby1776

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 2:11 am
Also it's hard to find someone reliable to show up. They are always quitting to take a better paying job. I am willing to pay $15 an hour which may be top of the market to ensure they show up, don't cancel, quit or disappear or feel like taking things I might have forgotten to put away.

Sanguine

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 4:24 am
LOL LOL - In Israel cleaning ladies make American salaries (for cleaning ladies) (no one else makes American salaries). They make on average 50 shekel an hour (double minimum wage which is 25 shekel/hr) (50 shekel is about $12.50) . Tax free and you have to pay Bituach Leumi for them (Social Security - 7%), 2 weeks paid vacation each year plus vacation money (not sure what it really is but it's a lot too cause it's figured on how many years they worked for you). If I fire her I have to pay severance pay - One month's salary for every year she's worked for me (she's worked for me for 18 years so I'm never going to fire her, but I went down to every other week years ago and paid severance pay for the 2 weeks/month that I "fired her" for then)

My cleaning lady is Israeli (I'm the immigrant, remember). She works two (4-5 hour) jobs each day and has raised her 5 kids here in my Yishuv off of cleaning work since her husband (the bum) left her with no support when they were little.

Over the years, I've given her raises (I speak to the other ladies that she cleans for) but last year she actually asked for a raise (now we're up to 45/hr) and I was embarrassed that no one thought to raise her for a long time and she had to ask. She's super reliable and finds ways to give you time on weeks that your day falls on Yontif too. Erev Pesach she comes to everyone extra too (most her jobs are with religious women - she's not).

Mrs.K

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 4:43 am
60 shekel an hour here in Jerusalem.

Now I'm fantasizing about $10 an hour which is under 40 shekel. WOW. I'd be able to have her much more often if that was the going rate.

choco1

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 7:16 am
I think you're overpaying mrs K.! I'm paying 40-45 depending on who comes and expensive is 50 shek...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry