Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Helping dd adjust

sotired3

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 7:36 pm
My daughter just started first grade and is having a very hard time adjusting to the structure of first grade. She is having a particularly hard time with only speaking after you raise your hand and the teacher calls on you. She doesn't really get the concept. She's a good kid who usually follows the rules, but she loves talking and being the kid who yells out the answer first. That was fine in pre 1a. She came home today telling me she hates school bec she didn't get a sticker on her chart. She said she was good, but later mentioned that the teacher had to change her seat bec she kept talking.

How can I help her adjust to a more structured classroom?

5*Mom

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 1:47 am
Practice with her at home and turn it into a game. Games like Simon Says or Mother, May I can help her get into the habit of stopping, thinking and following a certain procedure before she charges ahead. You can switch roles, too. Once she gets the hang of these games you can practice the skill directly, by asking her homework questions, questions about things she's learned, interspersed with silly questions, and having her raise her hand and wait to be called on before answering. If she has siblings who can join in, so much the better so she can practice the skill of handling-it-when-she-is-not-called-on.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 3:12 am
5*Mom wrote:
Practice with her at home and turn it into a game. Games like Simon Says or Mother, May I can help her get into the habit of stopping, thinking and following a certain procedure before she charges ahead. You can switch roles, too. Once she gets the hang of these games you can practice the skill directly, by asking her homework questions, questions about things she's learned, interspersed with silly questions, and having her raise her hand and wait to be called on before answering. If she has siblings who can join in, so much the better so she can practice the skill of handling-it-when-she-is-not-called-on.

That is brilliant! I wish I'd thought of that when my DD was younger. It took her a long time to learn impulse control, because she is a total chatterbox, too.

Can you ask the teacher to give your DD a little extra praise when she DOES raise her hand and wait? Just something verbal, "Sarale, you did a good job being patient and waiting. What do you think the answer to the question is?"

sotired3

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 4:09 am
Thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to try them.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics