Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Pants rip at knee

professor

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:38 pm
my son has a hole on the knees of ALL his pants. I am not good at sewing. most of his clothes come from hand me downs, if I buy its usually 10 dollars or less. I need to buy at least 10 pairs of pants for him this year to last at least a while, so each pair has to be 5 or less, otherwise I will feel bad to get rid of it when it rips. whee can I get cheap pants? or handme downs for size 6 pants

happyfaces

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:42 pm
Are all boys like that? I have one boy so far...he keeps getting holes by the knees as well. I learned to buy by old navy when they have 40percent off. This way I'm not upset when they do get holes.

groisamomma

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 8:44 pm
I hate sewing too and have the same problem. Iron in a patch or a piece of interfacing behind the knee to reinforce it and so you don't see it from the outside.

happyfaces

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:04 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I hate sewing too and have the same problem. Iron in a patch or a piece of interfacing behind the knee to reinforce it and so you don't see it from the outside.

Tryed the interface and iron on patch they fall off in the washer

professor

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:11 pm
happyfaces wrote:

yes, me too

groisamomma

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:12 pm
happyfaces wrote:

What are you washing your laundry with, a sledgehammer? Very Happy I never had a problem. I just ironed them on for the new season.

professor

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 9:15 pm
groisamomma wrote:
What are you washing your laundry with, a sledgehammer? Very Happy I never had a problem. I just ironed them on for the new season.

wait, you are supposed to iron it on BEFORE it rips? not as a way to fix, or patch up, a hole?

juggling

Post Wed, Sep 09 2015, 10:42 pm
I know you said you buy cheap, but if this is a consistent problem and you can manage the expense, you may do better to buy fewer pairs and buy "iron knee" pants from lands' end. They are expensive, but they come with reinforced knees and, most importantly, the company will replace them if they rip.

(If you want to be absolutely certain that's the case, maybe call and ask that question. But that has been my experience with lands' end. They take back anything that doesn't hold up. I have never actually done it with boys' pants, though.)

professor

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 1:36 pm
thank you. I found a pair for $14 in a not such a good color, but I do want to try it out. iron knee. maroon. oh well. ill make him wear it every day for a month. if it doesnt rip, than wow. I will start buying there. not only for him, but my other boys too, since he wears all THEIR handmedowns so I might as well start at the top (do I make sense?)

RedCurls

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 1:45 pm
juggling wrote:
I know you said you buy cheap, but if this is a consistent problem and you can manage the expense, you may do better to buy fewer pairs and buy "iron knee" pants from lands' end. They are expensive, but they come with reinforced knees and, most importantly, the company will replace them if they rip.

(If you want to be absolutely certain that's the case, maybe call and ask that question. But that has been my experience with lands' end. They take back anything that doesn't hold up. I have never actually done it with boys' pants, though.)

I was going to say exactly the same.
It ends up making sense for me because I don't need to buy twice in a season.

Shoelover

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 2:42 pm
I just threw out 5 pairs of pants w holes in the knee made me so sad

juggling

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 9:47 am
I checked the lands' end catalog, and they do say the pants are guaranteed. So if they rip you can send them back and have them replaced.

morkush

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 2:13 pm
Iron knees look like a great idea- I have the same problem! Can only find them in size 8+. Do they come in a 6?

professor

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:57 pm
yes, they do. I just bought a 6. you have to click on "little kid" not "big boy" or something like that. good luck

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:46 pm
professor wrote:
yes, me too

you may not be affixing the iron-on patches correctly.
1. The iron has to be DRY, not steam;
2. It must be hot enough to melt the adhesive;
3. You have to PRESS not SLIDE the iron on the patch;
4. You must press the iron on the patch for the full 30 or 60 or however many seconds the instructions say; longer, if you find that the stated length of time doesn't do the trick;
5. You must let the patch cool undisturbed.
6. Just as in kashrut, the medium that brings it in takes it out. Very hot water or a very hot dryer will loosen the adhesive. Treat the pants gently and use chemicals, not heat, to remove stains and grime.

Oh, and 7. you must ROUND the corners of the patch with a pair of scissors. Right-angle corners will cause early peeling.

Iron-ons will eventually peel after many, many washings. By then your ds should have outgrown the pants or shredded them somewhere else. But if by some miracle he hasn't, apply a new patch. It's cheaper than new pants.

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:53 pm
PSA: if your ds is on the short-and-stocky side as opposed to the string-beany side, Iron Knees and similar reinforced-knee trousers will be of no value, as the reinforced area will not be where his knees are. But you can mimic the effect by ironing patches on the inside of the trouser leg where his knees are. Yes, Virginia, iron-on patches can be used lechatchila to prevent ripped knees, where they serve as reinforcement, as well as bedieved to mend ripped knees, where they are called "patches".

2cents

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:31 pm
I used to have this problem big time with children's place pants. A friend told me she buys very cheap pants from a downtown Brooklyn store that last. I was veeeery skeptical, but this is my third year buying for my two boys from Bobby's dept store on church Avenue. It's a uniform btand, no iron pants, adjustable waist, and $7.99. The knees are reinforced, and they look nice. Available in blue, black, and khaki. Highly recommend.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics