Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus
Lamb shoulder recipe help!

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:19 am
Does anyone have a lamb shoulder recipe thats really foolproof and uses minimal ingredients. Not grilled please. Also delicious!!
Thanks

kiwi strawberry

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 10:07 am
I made this recipe up. I've made it twice and my husband absolutely loves it. Sprinkle on the spice 'bbq seasoning', then shmear strawberry apple sauce on it. Bake till done (not long-35 minutes?)

It does have a tinge of sweetness in it, which may not be your thing for meat. I'm thinking of trying it with just the bbq spice without the apple sauce.

(The apple sauce was inspired by someone I know who used it for tongue which was amazing and the perfect texture and flavor for that.)

If you make it, let me know how it comes out Smile good luck!

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:15 am
kiwi strawberry wrote:
I made this recipe up. I've made it twice and my husband absolutely loves it. Sprinkle on the spice 'bbq seasoning', then shmear strawberry apple sauce on it. Bake till done (not long-35 minutes?)

It does have a tinge of sweetness in it, which may not be your thing for meat. I'm thinking of trying it with just the bbq spice without the apple sauce.

(The apple sauce was inspired by someone I know who used it for tongue which was amazing and the perfect texture and flavor for that.)

If you make it, let me know how it comes out Smile good luck!

Thanks but were more savoury meat type of people ...anyone else?

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:36 am
This is for a braised shoulder that will produce very soft chunks of meat - like "pulled" so you wouldn't carve it. You can add carrots and onions.

Are you looking for a different type of preparation?

ROSEMARY AND THYME BRAISED LAMB SHOULDER

INGREDIENTS

For lamb:

1 (6-pound) bone-in lamb shoulder roast, tied
1 large head garlic, separated into cloves (about 12), peeled
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary plus 1 sprig
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme plus 5 sprigs
2 cups dry white wine
2 cups water

For sauce:

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme

PREPARATION

Roast lamb:
Make slits in lamb shoulder all over at 2-inch intervals with a paring knife.

Pound garlic with kosher salt, zest, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to a coarse paste with mortar and pestle (or mince and mash with a large knife), then stir together with oil and 1 tablespoon each of rosemary and thyme. Rub paste all over lamb. Put in heavy pot or roasting pan, then chill, covered, 12 to 24 hours.

Bring roast to room temperature (about 1 hour).

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in lower third.

Pour wine and water around lamb and add herb sprigs. Cover roast with a sheet of parchment. Cover pot with lid or cover roasting pan tightly with heavy-duty foil. Braise lamb in oven until tender but not falling off the bone, about 3 hours.

Increase oven to 450°F and remove parchment, then braise lamb, covered with lid (or foil), until very tender and top is browned, about 1 hour more. Carefully transfer lamb to a platter and loosely cover with foil. Let it stand 10 minutes.

Make sauce:

Pour braising liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, then spoon off and discard fat remaining on liquid (you should have about 2 cups liquid; reserve pot). Whisk together flour and 1 cup liquid in a small bowl until smooth. Bring remaining liquid to a boil in uncleaned pot, then whisk in flour mixture and boil, whisking, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in thyme and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.

To serve:
Remove and discard strings. Meat is too tender to slice with a carving knife; use a meat fork to pull meat into serving pieces.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 11:51 am
This is a Cooks Illustrated recipe. It's meant for the crock pot bit if you like the spices, you could modify to braise in an oven

“Slow-Cooker Braised Lamb with Red Wine and Cumin

Source: Illustrated, Cook's. “Best Slow and Easy Recipes.” America's Test Kitchen

SERVES 6 TO 8

It is important to thoroughly trim the lamb and defat the sauce in order to prevent the sauce from tasting gamey. A $7 to $10 bottle of medium-bodied red table wine made from a blend of grapes, such as a Côtes du Rhône, will work well here. Click here for make-ahead instructions.

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 medium onions, minced
8 medium garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
1 tablespoon tomato paste
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme leaves, or 1 teaspoon dried
Salt
1 (750-ml) bottle dry red wine (see note)
1 cup low-sodium chicken broth
⅓ cup soy sauce
3 tablespoons Minute tapioca
1 (5-pound) boneless lamb shoulder roast, trimmed and tied
Ground black pepper

1. Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add the onions, garlic, tomato paste, cumin, thyme, and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the onions are softened and lightly browned, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits, bring to a simmer, and “cook until the mixture measures about 3 cups, 10 to 12 minutes.

2. Transfer the mixture to the slow cooker and stir in the chicken broth, soy sauce, and tapioca until evenly combined. Season the lamb with salt and pepper and nestle it in the slow cooker. Cover and cook, either on low or high, until the meat is tender, 9 to 10 hours on low or 5 to 6 hours on high.

3. Transfer the lamb to a cutting board, tent loosely with foil, and let rest for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, strain the sauce through a fine-mesh strainer into a fat separator, and let settle for 5 minutes. Pour the defatted juices into a small saucepan, season with salt and pepper to taste, cover, and keep warm over low heat.

4. Untie the roast and slice into ½-inch-thick pieces. Arrange the meat on a serving platter and pour 1 cup of the sauce over the top. Serve, passing the remaining sauce separately.”

pointyshoes

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 1:02 pm
Amarante wrote:
This is for a braised shoulder that will produce very soft chunks of meat - like "pulled" so you wouldn't carve it. You can add carrots and onions.

Are you looking for a different type of preparation?

ROSEMARY AND THYME BRAISED LAMB SHOULDER

INGREDIENTS

For lamb:

1 (6-pound) bone-in lamb shoulder roast, tied
1 large head garlic, separated into cloves (about 12), peeled
1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
Freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary plus 1 sprig
1 tablespoon minced fresh thyme plus 5 sprigs
2 cups dry white wine
2 cups water

For sauce:

2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon minced fresh thyme

PREPARATION

Roast lamb:
Make slits in lamb shoulder all over at 2-inch intervals with a paring knife.

Pound garlic with kosher salt, zest, and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper to a coarse paste with mortar and pestle (or mince and mash with a large knife), then stir together with oil and 1 tablespoon each of rosemary and thyme. Rub paste all over lamb. Put in heavy pot or roasting pan, then chill, covered, 12 to 24 hours.

Bring roast to room temperature (about 1 hour).

Preheat oven to 350°F with rack in lower third.

Pour wine and water around lamb and add herb sprigs. Cover roast with a sheet of parchment. Cover pot with lid or cover roasting pan tightly with heavy-duty foil. Braise lamb in oven until tender but not falling off the bone, about 3 hours.

Increase oven to 450°F and remove parchment, then braise lamb, covered with lid (or foil), until very tender and top is browned, about 1 hour more. Carefully transfer lamb to a platter and loosely cover with foil. Let it stand 10 minutes.

Make sauce:

Pour braising liquid through a fine-mesh sieve, then spoon off and discard fat remaining on liquid (you should have about 2 cups liquid; reserve pot). Whisk together flour and 1 cup liquid in a small bowl until smooth. Bring remaining liquid to a boil in uncleaned pot, then whisk in flour mixture and boil, whisking, until thickened, about 4 minutes. Stir in thyme and rosemary and season with salt and pepper.

To serve:
Remove and discard strings. Meat is too tender to slice with a carving knife; use a meat fork to pull meat into serving pieces.

Sounds really up my street thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Yom Tov Dishes & Menus