Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
When you vote in a poll, do you...?

When you vote in a poll, what do you do?
Read the title and then vote  
 63%  [ 75 ]
Read the op and then vote  
 32%  [ 38 ]
Read through the thread and then vote  
 4%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 118

pause

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 7:54 pm
What do you do when you vote in a poll? I usually just read the op and then vote. I sometimes just read the title, vote, and then read the op only to realize she meant something else. And my vote cannot be undone. I never read the whole thread before voting but sometimes after reading people's responses, I feel like it's a pity that I didn't because I might have voted differently based on a new understanding or perspective gleaned from later posts. WDYD?

youngishbear

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 9:15 pm
A poll about polls.

Love it. Wink

How about an option "comment before realizing I didn't even vote yet?" (I do that sometimes in other threads. Not this one though...)

yo'ma

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 4:15 am
I vote after reading the question in the poll, not the thread title because it's not always the same. I do this except when in the title of the question it says, read post Wink .

Chayalle

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 12:51 pm
LOL: I voted on the last option, then realized I did so without reading the thread or the OP.

zaq

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 2:03 pm
Eilu ve-eilu. I don't have a hard-and-fast polling procedure. Why would I? Sometimes I post without voting. Sometimes I vote without posting. Sometimes I do neither, sometimes I do both, sometimes after reading the OP but before reading the thread, sometimes after reading only the title...to be honest, I don't find imamother polls so critical to the running of the world that it makes a whole heap of difference if I change my mind after voting. They're just for fun, you know? Nobody is basing domestic or foreign economic policy on these polls.

pause

Post Sat, Sep 12 2015, 9:37 pm
zaq wrote:
Eilu ve-eilu. I don't have a hard-and-fast polling procedure. Why would I? Sometimes I post without voting. Sometimes I vote without posting. Sometimes I do neither, sometimes I do both, sometimes after reading the OP but before reading the thread, sometimes after reading only the title...to be honest, I don't find imamother polls so critical to the running of the world that it makes a whole heap of difference if I change my mind after voting. They're just for fun, you know? Nobody is basing domestic or foreign economic policy on these polls.

That's why it's in Chit Chat. I voted on the how much is your membership poll. I voted based on how much my dh just paid for a seat in shul for yomim noraim. After reading the thread I realized the question was how much annual membership is which is a different cheshbon here. I regretted my vote but couldn't undo it. That got me wondering how many others have the same issue.

Not critical to the running of the world but interesting for me to see how inaccurate these polls are.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 6:07 pm
1) satirize the poll in "immediate reactions"
2) challenge the poster's motives for posting the poll
4) point out missing options

Iymnok

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 3:52 am
imasoftov wrote:
1) satirize the poll in "immediate reactions"
2) challenge the poster's motives for posting the poll
4) point out missing options

3) Question

imasoftov

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 5:07 am
Iymnok wrote:
3) Question

One of the missing options

pause

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 8:09 am
So what do we learn from this poll? That in the future, whenever YOU make a poll, make sure that your title adequately and accurately describes what you are asking so that the responses will be more accurate.

Alternatively, if it's difficult to include all the necessary info in the question, please add the words "read post" to your title so that voters know it's a prerequisite.

youngishbear

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 8:11 am
Additionally, we now can learn that everything can be turned into a valuable learning experience.

For example, an imamother poll can teach us how to... create better imamother polls? Scratching Head

Twisted Evil

pause

Post Sat, Sep 19 2015, 6:04 pm
youngishbear wrote:
Additionally, we now can learn that everything can be turned into a valuable learning experience.

For example, an imamother poll can teach us how to... create better imamother polls? Scratching Head

Twisted Evil

That was the reason for my poll!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics