Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
BYBP Vs. Lev Bais Yaakov vs. BYA
1  2  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Fri, Sep 11 2015, 9:25 am
I'm interested in finding out about these three schools. I know that they are very different, but I feel like we'd fit in nicely in either one of these.
I'd like to know about tuition costs, level of academics, is school run well and organized? Is there transportation, and from what age? What kind of families send there, and anything else worth knowing.
TIA

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 1:20 pm
Bump

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 1:34 pm
BYBP: mix of families from BP, Kensington and Flatbush. (Some from Bensonhurst, Seagate and other surrounding areas. Don't know how transportation runs from those places but I know there are options available.) Transportation available for all ages (corner stops). Nice middle ground hashkafos and tznius guidelines. Tuition is $7500, depending on income can receive scholarship to bring down tuition to around $6000. Extremely well run and organized. Runs like a well run ship, guess they have to be that way to take responsibility for 2,000 ka"h students. There's always someone to talk to. Separate principals for every 3 grades. They have all sorts of resources available in house and no student gets let ft behind. They deal with allergies (and are nut free) and have well balanced hot lunches.
They have a montessori track if that interests you.
The parts I have a hard time with are lots of days off and transportation can take long due to share size but they know where everybody is, know everybody by name and very well run. BH very happy there.

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 1:53 pm
I am extremely happy in Bybp. The staff is devoted, courteous, and efficient. There is a positive atmosphere in the school that you just feel when you are there. There is resources available for all kinds of issues. The hanhala is sincere and responsible.

I could go on and on.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 4:43 pm
another thrilled BYBP parent here. I echo the above posters. Just one minor correction. Starting tuition is $5500- they raise it every year I believe by a couple of hundred dollars. Amother that quoted 7500, are you sure that's your base tuition?

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:32 pm
amother wrote:
another thrilled BYBP parent here. I echo the above posters. Just one minor correction. Starting tuition is $5500- they raise it every year I believe by a couple of hundred dollars. Amother that quoted 7500, are you sure that's your base tuition?
7500 is asking price and can haggle down to around 6000 if there is financial hardship as I wrote above.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:15 pm
amother wrote:
7500 is asking price and can haggle down to around 6000 if there is financial hardship as I wrote above.

My base tuition my first year (and whoever else I spoke to) was 5500 plus registration making it 5750. The next year it was 5950....
This was filled in on the contract before I spoke to anyone.

I was able to get a scholarship bringing my tuition to about 5k.

I'm pretty sure that original asking price is in the high 5ks... with the old system of transportation the price would be around 7500.

My daughter is in lower elementary, it's possible that upper elementary is more expensive. I wouldn't know.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:40 pm
Thanks everyone for your responses. So far, BYBP is leading... How does it work with classes in BYBP? Do they split it by neighborhoods? Frumkeit? or other? Also, 2,000 students sounds so scary. People easily send a 4 year old on the bus, and then hope she manages there, being one of 2,000? I'd be worried everyday, if she made it to her class, and that she doesn't wander off during the day...

amother
Blush

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:45 pm
It is extremely organized. Your child will not be overwhelmed. There is always friendly staff nearby taking care of each child.

amother
Silver

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:46 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks everyone for your responses. So far, BYBP is leading... How does it work with classes in BYBP? Do they split it by neighborhoods? Frumkeit? or other? Also, 2,000 students sounds so scary. People easily send a 4 year old on the bus, and then hope she manages there, being one of 2,000? I'd be worried everyday, if she made it to her class, and that she doesn't wander off during the day...
Come by and watch how they do it Smile
There are a number of security guards and a crossing guard.
Your four year old is handed over to a bus Morah when she goes on the bus. When they get to BY the bus morah walks them into the lobby where the teachers are waiting to take their preschoolers to their class.
For way home her morah puts her on her assigned bus where the bus teacher is sitting and waiting for her. And she helps her off the bus where you are waiting when she comes home. Not saying this process doesn't take long. It does. That was one of the two things that bother me as I wrote above but their responsibility and organization is very good BH.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:51 pm
amother wrote:

The classes are switched every year in preschool. And then stay the same for the majority of elementary. They try to group the classes by " type " to the best of their ability. I know the majority of my daughter's classmates families from before. We are part of the same circle etc. But there is diversity, which is one of the things that I love about the school.
They just redid the transportation system this year so I am not very familiar with how it works but until now, younger children -ages 5 and under were not permitted on varsity bus. They used private bus or private vans. There is staff supervising the children as they come off the bus and a teacher or assistant from each class in the lobby collecting their students to bring them up. Not really possible for a kid to just get lost. This morning there were about 30 teachers in the lobby itself as well as additional staff on the sidewalk supervising.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:51 pm
Wow, they really do sound organized. Silver amother, can I ask if you live in Flatbush? Im wondering what type of flatbush families send there?

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:56 pm
amother wrote:
I am extremely happy in Bybp. The staff is devoted, courteous, and efficient. There is a positive atmosphere in the school that you just feel when you are there. There is resources available for all kinds of issues. The hanhala is sincere and responsible.

I could go on and on.

So true about the positive atmosphere. I've been in many different schools due to the nature of my job and no other school this atmosphere. Everyone is happy. Staff is so pleasant. Rabbi Frank, the menahel is incredible. Students get a recorded happy birthday phone message from him . He knows exactly what is going on in all aspects even though kh the school is so large.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:00 pm
Amber amother, thanks so much for your responses. I was wondering if ur job has brought you to BYA and or LBY? Can you tell me anything about these schools?

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:36 pm
The BYBP flatbush crowd is very frum and not fancy (which I think is a good thing).

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:22 pm
Every grade has some Yiddish and some Hebrew classes. Parents choose where they want their children to go.

amother
Amber

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:27 pm
amother wrote:
Every grade has some Yiddish and some Hebrew classes. Parents choose where they want their children to go.

There are no longer Yiddish classes as of this year.

amother
Turquoise

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:36 pm
"There are no longer Yiddish classes as of this year."

That's very interesting, since the school has many heimish families.
I'm interested in the hebrew track actually, so I guess it doesnt really affect me though.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:54 pm
There still are Yiddish classes in preschool

livinginisrael

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 11:32 pm
I'm very happy in Bybp. My kg daughter has 17 kids in her class and 15 from Flatbush. Bya is obviously a smaller school and I think more academic
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics