Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Respect in the house

junam

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 5:28 am
I don't think my kids age 3 to 13 have enough respect for me and my husband. They don't listen alot a can be chutzpahdik especially the teen. How do you foster respect in your home? I want to bring more respect into ours.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 2:40 pm
*bump*

I'd love some pointers too! DD and her step dad clash on a daily basis, and it drives me crazy.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 10:10 pm
Garden Of Education

http://www.breslev.co.il/store.....glish

Our children are messengers of H-Shem showing us where we are lacking in our Avoda. Once we understand the message and fix our relationship with H-Shem, our children change miraculously. I am witnessing these miracles first hand.

Ashrei

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 11:02 pm
amother wrote:
Garden Of Education

http://www.breslev.co.il/store.....glish

Our children are messengers of H-Shem showing us where we are lacking in our Avoda. Once we understand the message and fix our relationship with H-Shem, our children change miraculously. I am witnessing these miracles first hand.

That's so interesting... So if your 7yo is being chutzpadig:
Mom: Time to get ready for bed.
7yo: No, YOU get ready for bed! (all mean and obnoxious)
Mom: That's rude!
7yo: It's not. And I'm not getting ready. I'm playing on the computer. I don't care if you say no. I'll hide with it and you'll never find me.

As an example. How does this translate into you're relationship with Hashem? (I have an idea but wondering what you'll say)

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 11:22 pm
Ashrei wrote:
That's so interesting... So if your 7yo is being chutzpadig:
Mom: Time to get ready for bed.
7yo: No, YOU get ready for bed! (all mean and obnoxious)
Mom: That's rude!
7yo: It's not. And I'm not getting ready. I'm playing on the computer. I don't care if you say no. I'll hide with it and you'll never find me.

As an example. How does this translate into you're relationship with Hashem? (I have an idea but wondering what you'll say)

It's possible H-Shem is telling me that I am spending too much time on the computer, and not enough time talking to HIM, or maybe I'm not giving my kids enough attention because of the computer.
I'm guilty of spending way too much time on the computer, so if that was happening to me, that's how I would interpret this message for my life.
Either way I would ask H-Shem in my hitbodedut to help me get rid of the temptation to be on the computer so long.

amother
Amethyst

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 11:39 pm
Tell your kids what a great father they have. Be specific. Then tell you husband to do the same for you.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 11:47 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
*bump*

I'd love some pointers too! DD and her step dad clash on a daily basis, and it drives me crazy.

No real advice (sorry!) but stepparent relationships are a whole different ballgame... much more complicated and sensitive and in most cases, the goal is different too.

chani8

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:57 am
Tone in the home is everything. Stay positive, logical, warm, clear, and easygoing.

Dont make demands on them that you know will cause a negative reaction.
Learn how to make requests in a way that is kind and respectful to the child.

Talk to your child, treat your child, the way you want to be treated. Seriously.

There is nothing wrong with a child arguing back. That's not chutzpa, that's human.

Chutzpa is defined by child development experts as purposely, and with premeditation, trying to insult the parent.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics