Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
OT in Chicago

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 6:32 pm
I am looking for a good OT in Chicago.

4yo DC with SPD was/is working with North Shore Pediatric Rehab, but they have a 16 weeks cycle then back on the waiting list till the next 16 week cycle opens up. We went to the first 16 weeks and have been on break for over 2 months waiting for a new opening and there has definitely been regression even with me trying to do some home exercises etc (been so busy, had a baby, so not as much time as I would like)

We have medicaid and I called today and they said we can use anyone that takes public aide even if not our plan, but cant use anyone who does'nt take medicaid at all.

SO... 2 questions

1. Does anyone know a clinic or OT who takes public aide?

2. Does anyone know where to start to see about getting services thru the public schools?

If you dont want to answer under your screen name please just post that I can pm you. Thanks!

OOTBubby

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:16 pm
I'd suggest that you contact Refoenu at the Chicago Center -- they should be able to refer you to someone who takes Medicaid.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 7:23 pm
We are starting at lurie's after sukkos. I was very happy with the PT department so when we wanted an OT eval we went back.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:30 pm
mha3484 wrote:
We are starting at lurie's after sukkos. I was very happy with the PT department so when we wanted an OT eval we went back.

would you have a link or phone number? just tried to find it on their website but wasnt successful

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:41 pm
https://www.luriechildrens.org......aspx

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:44 pm
mha3484 wrote:
https://www.luriechildrens.org/en-us/care-services/specialties-services/occupational-therapy/appointments/Pages/index.aspx

thanks so much!! are you going to their main location or one of the outpatient other locations? (do you think it makes a difference? just cause theres ones at swedish and thats much closer then childrens)

thanks OOTBubby for that idea, I will email the CCTC too.

mha3484

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:51 pm
Outpatient in Lincoln park.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 7:16 pm
so I called Luries and said I wanted to know about their OT services for my child who has been diagnosed with SPD, but the place he is currently getting OT from is not working out.

She said that they only do evaluations and then send on to the public schools for service. Which I wouldnt mind either if its free or affordable.

Did she not know what she was talking about or is this the case?

I called my Dr.s office as well for referalls of anyone that takes any medicaid at all and they said only North Shore and Luries. (tho he said advocate does but they only take their medicaid insurance... which is not what medicaid told me....so maybe worth a call anyway)

Strudel

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 4:24 am
We used JCFS at the Knapp Center on Pratt . I'm not sure if they take Medicaid but they do offer a sliding scale for payments .
With Public Aid it's hard to find therapy for your kids.

mommy12

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 6:16 pm
Lutheran Hospital should take Medicaid. That's what they told us a year or so ago.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Oct 06 2015, 10:58 pm
To go through the public school system I believe your child would have to first be evaluated through them but if he/she qualifies then it should be free. Just keep in mind the hours available might not be ideal bc it'll probably be during school hours. If you call your local public school or the district, they should be able to give you the name and number of who to speak to regarding OT texting/therapy.
In regards to finding a therapist or practice that accepts Medicaid, it is quite difficult. Was your child in EI before age three? If so, maybe you can reach out to that therapist and see if she had any ideas.
Also, The Chicago Chesed Fund just opened a new division that has a ton of resources on testing and therapies. I suggest you call them and ask for Chani Goldman.
Hatzlacha!

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:46 am
I'm gonna call Lutheran.

I spoke to someone who used to work as an OT in CPS and she said it's unlikely DC would be approved for SI type OT thru the public school system without being enrolled and even if he would be there are plenty of therapists that are not good at SI so wouldn't be a help. Told me to contact timber ridge and Beth otsen about a sliding scale or reduced out of pocket rate.

He did not get EI.

The knapp center has OT?? We get other sevices thru JCFS and I spoke to the therapist about OT and she never brought them up as an option!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)