Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Looking for Side Dish That Goes Well with Hulopches

pause

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:58 pm
AKA stuffed cabbage.

Preferably dishes that can be made in advance and frozen.

Fave

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 8:59 pm
Mash potatoes is the ultimate combo

pause

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:01 pm
Fave wrote:
Mash potatoes is the ultimate combo
But that needs to be made fresh. Sad and I plan to be in shul at the hakafos before the meal...

cbg

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:23 pm
Rice, add a little extra oil to the water.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:34 pm
depends what is in your stuffed cabbage. most recipes use a combination of meat and rice, which I would not pair with either potatoes or rice. I would so a veggie side - ratatouille, sauteed or roasted veggies or a salad.

pause

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:44 pm
oliveoil wrote:
depends what is in your stuffed cabbage. most recipes use a combination of meat and rice, which I would not pair with either potatoes or rice. I would so a veggie side - ratatouille, sauteed or roasted veggies or a salad.
I put inside a mixture of potatoes and meat, so yes, a vegetable dish would be better.

thanks

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 9:45 pm
Whatever you make in advance, takes 10 minutes to heat up. Instead, make fresh mashed potatoes in 10 min. on yomtov. Peel the potatoes and cut into small pieces before you go to shul. Leave it in a pot of water. When you get back from shul, cook the potatoes. If the pieces were cut small, should take only 10 min.

This is only for those who leave the stove on.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 10:48 pm
If you want to make something in advance...

doughless potato knishes warm up very nicely in the oven
vegetable turnovers
broccoli kugelettes
cabbage & noodles
orzo

Or else just steam a bag of frozen vegetables in the oven or on the blech.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 16 2015, 11:21 pm
I would serve a nice green salad because the dish is pretty substantial. You can have interesting add ins ready to go by prepping them in the afternoon and then just adding to gourmet bagged greens. Dried cranberries, candied walnuts are nice additions to upgrade the salad. Other adds ins would be roasted beets, mandarin orange segments, diced jicama as well as the obvious like cherry tomatoes, carrots.

Salad is a standard side for spaghetti and meatballs. I mention because it is similarly a hearty dish with a tomato base and a salad is a good culinary balance.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 4:50 am
Fry onions before yom tov. Right before the meal heat them up with frozen/defrosted green beans. add some ginger powder, garlic powder and a little soy sauce. sprinkle with sesame seeds. you can add some diced red pepper for color.
If it's supposed to be warm out, then make some cold salads, cucumber, coleslaw, marinated peppers...

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 10:08 am
Carrots and pineapple

pause

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 10:28 am
I'm liking the idea of a fresh vegetable salad. It's easy to make, and at that point in the meal, we don't usually need more.

Feel free to add more suggestions, though!

ally

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 10:37 am
I like to dip garlic bread in the tomato sauce.

myself

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 11:57 am
I often do vegetable rice. Prepare sautéed veggies before Yom Tov and freeze. Cook rice fresh and add vegetables to mixture. Alternatively, do the last stage on erev y't and refrigerate.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes