Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood Girls Schools
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Chayalle

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 12:59 pm
amother wrote:
Offshoot but on the same general topic:
What girls schools are most similar to Bnos Devora? And boys schools similar to Tashbar? We have already applied to those, but I need more backups. Thanks.

Bnos Devora was modeled on Bais Faiga, but don't know that that would help you as a backup....

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:00 pm
amother wrote:
What girls schools are most similar to Bnos Devora? And boys schools similar to Tashbar? We have already applied to those, but I need more backups. Thanks.

I dk about similar, but I think Bnos Orchos Chaim is the most underrated of the more established girl's schools. And if you want to gamble on a girl's school that is likely to be a major success, Nachlas Bais Yakov. Can't help you out with boy's schools.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:04 pm
I agree about Nachlas Bais Yaakov. They seem to be modeling themselves after Bnos Devora and my daughter is so happy bh.

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
I agree about Nachlas Bais Yaakov. They seem to be modeling themselves after Bnos Devora and my daughter is so happy bh.

I seriously doubt Suri Smith, with her decades of experience in chinuch and unique approach, is modeling herself after anyone! I'd prefer her as my kid's principal over practically anyone.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 2:15 pm
amother wrote:

For a boys school, Even Yisrael is supposed to be excellent. My nephew goes there and loves it and his parents are so happy. I think Rabbi Zelinger is the principal. There is no Yiddish there. Last year it was our backup for Tashbar. Hope this helps.

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:12 pm
Thanks for all the replies. I have heard nice things about Nachlas from almost everyone! Pretty impressive for a new school. Any other ideas besides Even Yisroel for a boys school similar to Tashbar?

debsey

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:16 pm
amother wrote:
Thanks for all the replies. I have heard nice things about Nachlas from almost everyone! Pretty impressive for a new school. Any other ideas besides Even Yisroel for a boys school similar to Tashbar?

It's because suri smith was a principal in deal for a really long time, so she has an impressive track record. And lots of Lakewood teachers at least started out working for her there, so her reputation is pretty solid.

Sorry, still don't have any boys' school recommendations.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:24 pm
debsey wrote:
I seriously doubt Suri Smith, with her decades of experience in chinuch and unique approach, is modeling herself after anyone! I'd prefer her as my kid's principal over practically anyone.

That's what Rabbi Robinson told me at the interview. Maybe "modeling" was the wrong word, but he meant similar style and clientele to Bnos Devora. As if to say, if you think you would fit into Bnos Devora, you would probably fit into Nachlas.

amother
Mauve

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 6:55 pm
Who owns Nechalas Bais yaakov?

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:03 pm
debsey wrote:
The schools that want a very yeshivish crowd want to cater to that crowd. Nothing wrong with that. Bnos Melech is ultra-yeshivish. They have plenty of working parents, but those parents are all willing to abide by Bnos Melech's over the top policies. Same with Ohr HaTorah or any other of the "super-yeshivishe" schools. If you belong in YTT, why would you even WANT to send to Ohr HaTorah? I'm pretty yeshivish, but I would not want to send to Bnos Melech! I don't want my daughter hearing that it's assur for a Mommy to wear eye makeup or tights that are less than 70 denier. I don't live by those rules, so why would I confuse my child?

It's not about working/learning. It's about living according to certain chumros or not. There's no benefit to putting a child into a school where the parents don't belong. It can only cause conflict and confusion.

I send to Bnos Melech for years now. There was never any talk about eye makeup (which I wear) and specific denier # (which I dont wear). There is a focus on tznius (which I think is nice)
The most over-the-top rules I have discovered are tights (which is more than just Bnos Melech) and a strict policy on the color of girls shoes (which I beleive has more to do with keeping the uniform "uniform" and less to do with tznius).
Nothing I cant live with.
I do agree that they attract a more yeshivish crowd (which I like) and one of the ways they did this was by branding themselves as a yiddish-speaking-school (though this is similar to the other litvish-yiddish schools in lakewood).
Just my 2 cents.

amother
Amethyst

Post Mon, Nov 28 2016, 7:04 pm
amother wrote:
Who owns Nechalas Bais yaakov?

Rabbi Yanky Robinson
(also known through his summer camps - chaveirim & chaveiros)

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 12:34 am
Anyone know pple that send to bnos esther malka?

balibusta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:22 am
Meoros, Bnos Esther Malka, Nachlas, Bnos Bracha, Moreshes I could see where one person could apply to all those-meaning wud b a good fit for her ( not that she can't fit into others school)

balibusta

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:33 am
It feels like too many schools in lkwd.. just my block alone I feel like everyone waiting for a dif school bus.. and we not so dif at all..

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:42 am
amother wrote:
Anyone know pple that send to bnos esther malka?

I have three nieces in Bnos Esther Malka. I can't say enough good things about the school. Mrs. Schorr is amazing. The school is well run. The academics are top notch but without pressure. I have neighbors who send there as well and are thrilled.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 9:43 am
balibusta wrote:
It feels like too many schools in lkwd.. just my block alone I feel like everyone waiting for a dif school bus.. and we not so dif at all..

I agree, every school is a mix so there's definitely plenty of overlap. And B"AH with the number of young couples moving to Lakewood annually, and the number of babies born daily, the number of schools keeps on expanding.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 7:55 pm
Rose- I send to Bnos Esther Malka

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:06 pm
Are u happy there?

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:21 pm
My daughter is only in Primary and it's still early on in the year, but so far I'm thrilled bh!!

Notsobusy

Post Tue, Nov 29 2016, 8:51 pm
balibusta wrote:

I look at that as a great thing. A few years ago there weren't enough schools, B"H now we have more, hopefully one day we will actually have enough schools and nobody will have to go through that kind of agmas nefesh(I can dream, right Confused )

As far as them all being the same type, that's a big problem with Lakewood. First of all, when we're mostly so similar, and our schools are so similar, the slightest differences get magnified and in some cases get turned into major differences, even though in other frum towns they wouldn't be considered different at all. Also, anyone who doesn't fit into the box has no where to go, because the schools are really mostly the same.
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics