Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
London broil (not broiled )

bananasplit

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 11:11 pm
Anyone have a good London broil recipe that I can make without a broiler?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 11:39 pm
This one is very good. Everyone here liked it. I got it from a magazine, but I don't remember which one.

Cocoa Rubbed London Broil

2 1/2 lb London broil
1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp cocoa
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper

Mix cocoa, sugar, salt and pepper. Place oil and spice rub in a large Ziploc bag. Add the meat and rub all over to coat the meat in the oil and spices. Allow to marinate 2 hours or overnight in fridge.

Preheat oven to 450. Place the roast in a large roasting pan and roast for 20 minutes on each side or until the juices run clear. Remove from oven and immediately cover with foil, sealing tight to lock in juices. Allow to sit 10 minutes.

Slice thinly across the grain and serve with reserved juices.

bananasplit

Post Thu, Sep 17 2015, 11:44 pm
Thanks! Does it have a strong cocoa taste?

Notsobusy

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 12:04 am
No, it doesn't, it somehow gives it a smoky type of flavor.

Dolly Welsh

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 12:10 am
That sounds very interesting.

One can put it into a pressure cooker. Use those spices, some water, and allow as much time per pound as the booklet says that came with the machine. "Beef" setting is fine, the cut does not matter.

You can cook it on top of the stove in a pan with a close fitting lid, perhaps with some tinfoil tomake a tight fit. First brown the meat a little on both sides, then put in some liquid, close the lid, and keep it at a strong simmer. If you add more liquid, it should be boiling.

You can hardly kill this cut of beef.

A clove or two of garlic, an onion, and some red wine, and you are fine. Red wine vinegar cut by half with water will do for cooking wine here. If you find you have liquid, put in some cous cous for a bit right into the meat pot.

Rubber Ducky

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 8:58 am
London broil is a terrific cut for stir-frying.

Beef Teriyaki:

• Cut London broil into thin strips.
• Marinate in 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup soy sauce (and 1/2 cup sake if you have any) for at least 15 minutes.
• Stir-fry 1/2 lb at a time in smoking hot vegetable oil (I use canola). Add a bit of diced ginger to the hot oil if like it spicier. Put each batch into a hot serving container as it's finished.
• After you've stir-fried the meat, boil the marinade for several seconds, and then pour over the meat

Serve over rice. Pair with steamed or stir-fried vegetables. Steamed broccoli works for me!

b from nj

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 9:02 am
I slice onions on the bottom & sprinkle some garlic powder on the meat & then I bake covered till it's done in a cup of OJ & some ketchup mixed in & a bay leaf on top of the meat that I remove before serving & it's always very yummy.

bananasplit

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 11:53 am
Thanks they all sound delicious!

pause

Post Fri, Sep 18 2015, 1:18 pm
b from nj wrote:
I slice onions on the bottom & sprinkle some garlic powder on the meat & then I bake covered till it's done in a cup of OJ & some ketchup mixed in & a bay leaf on top of the meat that I remove before serving & it's always very yummy.
How long do you bake? I've seen recipes that called for 3 hours covered in the oven.

Smile1234

Post Sat, Sep 19 2015, 3:03 pm
I make a london broil recipe from the BY cookbook (I think I've posted it here before) and it calls for broiling- I just put it on highest setting in my oven for a little longer. Comes out delicious!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics