Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Do you wear a Blend Sheitel?
1  2  Next

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 2:53 pm
Looking for recommendations of a good blend wig.

For the uninitiated, when I say blend I mean a wig that is partly human hair and partly synthetic.

Thanks in advance Very Happy

pause

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 4:08 pm
From my experience, it is not worthwhile to buy a blend. Either you go 100% human or 100% synthetic. The care of each is so different that whichever way you treat your blend sheitel, you will be ruining some of the hairs.

If the reason is financial, it's more worthwhile in the long run to buy a cheaper human or buy synthetics which you replace more often.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 4:17 pm
pause wrote:
From my experience, it is not worthwhile to buy a blend. Either you go 100% human or 100% synthetic. The care of each is so different that whichever way you treat your blend sheitel, you will be ruining some of the hairs.

If the reason is financial, it's more worthwhile in the long run to buy a cheaper human or buy synthetics which you replace more often.

I cannot tell u how much I agree with this
If it's for yiddishkeit cuz u don't wanna wear human u should know that most blends are 90% human so think/ask again
My blends were terrible. Now I'm back to out of box cheap human or synthetic

tweety1

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 3:42 am
I say stand far away from synthetic if you can. I got married with both. By the "sheitel story" I went to synthetic only. Synthetics are plastic. You have to be super careful under the sun, or any minimal heat. My sheitel that I wore 2x was garbage shortly after I bought it cuz it burned/melted from a drop of heat. I'm back to the belnds and I love them. They're much less delicate.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 4:22 am
My first sheitel was a blend, and it was a nightmare. No matter how I got it cut and recut, styled and restyled, it always ended up looking "wiggy", and by the end of the day it was a rat's nest.

For a tiny bit more, you can get a Chinese wig that will look 100% better, and probably last a lot longer, too. There's a thread on here about how to by wigs from Allibaba and AliExpress. Go check it out!

amother
Azure

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 7:22 am
OP here. Thanks everyone. I started out with a blend as our Rav said that since my mother wears a blend I should do the same and not go 'less' so to speak.

I've heard the blends are made with poor quality human hair, as well as with poor quality synthetic hair. Does nobody here wear a blend?

I keep thinking I'll change to human but then whenever I need to buy a new one I persuade myself to stay with the blend. I feel guilty to change. I keep thinking to ask but don't really know how to articulate my question... nor what my pros and cons are.

*sigh*

amother
Forestgreen

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 9:59 am
amother wrote:
OP here. Thanks everyone. I started out with a blend as our Rav said that since my mother wears a blend I should do the same and not go 'less' so to speak.

I've heard the blends are made with poor quality human hair, as well as with poor quality synthetic hair. Does nobody here wear a blend?

I keep thinking I'll change to human but then whenever I need to buy a new one I persuade myself to stay with the blend. I feel guilty to change. I keep thinking to ask but don't really know how to articulate my question... nor what my pros and cons are.

*sigh*

I identify with this because I also had same problem. I asked my rav "if a blend has 90% human hair is it still better than a human wig". He told me that to him it looks like the same thing and that the 10% doesn't do much. I didnt either wanna deviate from my family custom so to speak.

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 1:37 pm
amother wrote:

*sigh*

I know someone who asked and was told to rather wear a short, eidel 100% human than a blend in whatever trendy style...

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 3:32 pm
As a sheitalmacher I have some clients that sew in a couple of rows of synthetic hair by the base to make the wig a "blend" and that satisfies the minhag of wearing a blend...

amother
Powderblue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 3:40 pm
amother wrote:
As a sheitalmacher I have some clients that sew in a couple of rows of synthetic hair by the base to make the wig a "blend" and that satisfies the minhag of wearing a blend...

That sounds pretty stupid to me because the minhag of wearing a blend is so that the wig shouldn't look so natural, it should look wiggy. Then again, I'm not sure how different it is from women who cover their sheitels with a one-inch band to satisfy the minhag of "going covered."

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:
That sounds pretty stupid to me because the minhag of wearing a blend is so that the wig shouldn't look so natural, it should look wiggy. Then again, I'm not sure how different it is from women who cover their sheitels with a one-inch band to satisfy the minhag of "going covered."

I agree. Seems stupid to me too but you do what the client wants....

Ruchel

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 9:49 am
A high end synthetic can be styled with heat and doesn't budge in sun.

bizibody

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 10:58 am
Still have to stick to blends. Help!!!!! Anyone????

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:20 am
bizibody wrote:
Still have to stick to blends. Help!!!!! Anyone????

I too only use blends. I just recently bought a Mali and it's fantastic. Really happy with it so far. The hair is softer than any other wig I've owned.

bizibody

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:31 am
Is Mali the name of the company? Who sells them?

lora

Post Tue, Nov 15 2016, 11:48 am
I would strongly recommend Miami Topaz, (not sure about spelling) not very cheap but can be styled any way you like, curls and all.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 6:30 am
Got a Y2K, it's perfect

jkw

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 7:37 am
I bought an 80/20 Jacquelyn on 13th avenue in BP 7 years ago. It's lost a bit of hair but otherwise is still going strong. Just had it recut recently in fact and prefer it for every day.
Check there...

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 8:27 am
I work for a sheitel macher.
the best blends on the market are: the topaz which are pricy
or the jaqueline blend, we sell it a lot, with great feedback.
we also have customers that take a human hair wig and add synthetic hair, there is someone weiss in williamsburg that does it for just $65
if you need her info, let me know.
good luck

amother
Azure

Post Wed, Nov 16 2016, 4:20 pm
Mali wearer here. The Miami Topaz has a good name too but I took them both home and the Mali had much nicer hair.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics