Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
17 month old ds sick for 2 weeks already
1  2  3  Next

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:00 pm
2 weeks ago Tuesday my ds 17 month old got a high fever that lasted for a week. He was also wheezing, had no appetite at all, very irritable and very pale.
Took him to the doctor twice both times drv said it's a virus. Then over rosh hashana fever broke but the wheezing became really bad that I had to take him to the ER. They gave him ventilon and kept him for a few hours for observation. They also claim that its a virus.
As of nowHe is still wheezing and has a congested cough and a very pale grey/purple complexion. He is hardly eating and drinking anything (this is going on for 2 weeks this child is refusing food and drink). However during the day he acts fine plays laughs. ...takes long naps but at night he wakes up crying every few hours which is not the norm for him. I'm av first time mom and don't know if this is normal. Cud a virus stay for so long or do you ppl think it's something else. I can't stop worrying that he might be really sick and the dr's are not seeing it. He really looks sick. Shud I push for a chest x - ray, blood tests et. .. or leave it? ?? Also just to add as a side note he is very prone to wheezing and "viruses" . Hes been sick literally about twice a month since he's like 6 month old or so. Fever, wheezing poor appetite etc...dr always claims its a virus. And he hasn't gained much weight either he was a huge baby now he's this little tiny thing . I can't help but be worried. I Need some experienced mother's advice on how to go about it.

tweety1

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:03 pm
Go to the dr tomorrow and insist on a chest x ray and cbc. No this is not normal. Wheezing maybe but not lack of appetite. Even so for the wheezing you shoulve gotten a nebulizer.

shirachadasha

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:04 pm
I think the grey/purple description should be considered an emergency.

Refua sheleima.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:09 pm
Tweety1 what is cbc?

justforfun87

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:23 pm
cbc - complete blood count. She means to ask the doctors to draw his blood and check all his labs

anonymrs

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:24 pm
Absolutely not normal. At what age was he introduced to dairy? This could be directly linked to a food allergy/intolerance.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:28 pm
anonymrs wrote:
Absolutely not normal. At what age was he introduced to dairy could be directly linked to a food allergy/intolerance.

he's a very picky eater so except for yogurt he doesn't eat/drink dairy food. Yogurt was introduced by 10 month old.

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:30 pm
justforfun87 wrote:
cbc - complete blood count. She means to ask the doctors to draw his blood and check all his labs

will the dr be willing to do it even if he doesn't think it's necessary? ??

HelloG

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:49 pm
amother wrote:

You're the mother
He gets paid to do a blood test upon ur request. Don't let doctors take over ur role as the decision maker

ra_mom

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:
You need to advocate for your child and insist on a full blood work up and chest x-ray immediately.

Present the case to the doctor with the urgency that you're seeing. You're the only one who can stand up for him. Momma knows best.

Can you keep him in your room tonight to check on him?

amother
Babyblue

Post Sun, Sep 20 2015, 11:59 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Can you keep him in your room tonight to check on him?

he wakes up crying every few hours every night and it doesn't help that I'm pregnant and don't get much sleep. ...I've checking up on him a few times a night since he's sick

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 12:01 am
amother wrote:
he wakes up crying every few hours every night and it doesn't help that I'm pregnant and don't get much sleep. ...I've checking up on him a few times a night since he's sick
Hug
Refuah Shelaima B'karov!

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 12:15 am
The pale/purple (?!!!) complexion combined with the other things you're saying would take me straight to the ER. Yes, again.

And it is also time to look for a new pediatrician if he isn't looking for deeper answers after months of repeated "viruses" with respiratory symptoms.

I have a child who has had a tendency to get wheezing triggered by viruses (typically colds. But not actually from the congestion - she would come down with (so to speak) the asthma just about when the cold was going away) We were put on an inhaler to prevent that. Wheezing is absolutely not normal and should not continue untreated.

All the symptoms frankly sound like pneumonia but I'm no doctor and even if I were I haven't seen the kid. I'd like to say that if the doctors who saw him weren't concerned about that then he must not have it, but as a mom I would not be at peace with that without seeing an xray. Of course there are concerns about radiation exposure but unless they have some other very good explanation for what you're experiencing, there are times it's worth it. (we had that once too... boy am I glad for the radiation exposure because we were able to treat before having what would almost inevitably have been a much bigger problem.)

No, I actually wouldn't go ask your doctor for blood tests and x-rays. I'd go to a different doctor for a second opinion and ask them to do testing. It doesn't sound like your doctor has been very attentive if you've been to him with a sick child twice a month for about a year (am I reading this right?) and can tell you it's a virus every time without even asking why this is happening. Does your current doctor share a practice with anyone else, maybe you can consult with the partner?

amother
Babyblue

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 12:55 am
[quote="seeker"]
And it is also time to look for a new pediatrician if he isn't looking for deeper answers after months of repeated "viruses" with respiratory symptoms.
seeker wrote:

"I didn't go to my pediatrician every time. There is a local frum doctor that I also use from time to time. So when I tell my pediatrician that its recurrent he doesn't get alarmed because he didn't see it every time. I do agree that I need to find another dr cuz everytime hep tries to listen to his lungs with the stethoscope, my son cries and the dr claims that it's impossible to assess it this way. Though he never sent him for x-rays"

[Quote = " seeker " ] have a child who has had a tendency to get wheezing triggered by viruses (typically colds. But not actually from the congestion - she would come down with (so to speak) the asthma just about when the cold was going away) We were put on an inhaler to prevent that. [ Quote = " seeker " ]

It sounds like what my ds is experiencing. Did you find the cause/cure for it?

[ Quote ="seeker"]
Wheezing is absolutely not normal and should not continue untreated.[ quote = " seeker " ]

they claim its bronchiolitis caused by a virus

[b]

sorry I don't know how to quote properly. See my comments in the quote.

seeker

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 1:54 am
Did they give you antibiotics for the bronchiolitis? And even so why would it be happening over and over?

I can't say at all what is going on with your kid but for mine it was reactive airway - like asthma that gets triggered by viruses. Apparently that's not very uncommon, though I think most people with asthma have more triggers than that. For us that made it pretty easy - whenever she gets a cold, we use the inhaler, and haven't had a wheezing episode since. (though we've had some close calls... seems we do have another trigger... it's not cat hair or dust or mold but... tantrums. Tell me how to beat THAT one! Arrrgh!)

But in your case I'm more concerned about the fact that he's coming down with ANYTHING that often. Also, the breathing issues combined with a change of complexion is a huge red flag and I really think you should head to the ER right away.

I also dunno about this stethoscope problem. First of all, I've had doctors examine my kids while the kids were crying. And if they did need to listen more closely, couldn't they spend more time working on warming up the stethoscope, warming up the relationship, something to help calm the child? I dunno, time to shop around for a new doctor as soon as you get past whatever crisis you're in now. What does the local frum doctor you use from time to time say about all this?

tweety1

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 3:29 am
amother wrote:
Tweety1 what is cbc?

It's a blood test measuring the blood count and other things. By taking a cbc they can tell if it's viral or bacterial. My dr does it with a tiny prick on the finger and results we get within 2-3 minutes. Bh my dr has discovered my infections on my kids over the yrs through this cbc.

noosheen

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 7:17 am
Op u are a first time mother as you said in one of your posts. Not your fault that you don't know what is normal and/or expected. Sounds like your son needs more medical care and direction than he's getting from your doctor and of course you trust your doctor right ??

go back to doctor or even emerg and take someone with you. Ie your mom, dh, or even a friend. TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS!!! You are the mom!!! I am talking from experience. Be firm.

chani8

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 7:57 am
Stop all dairy products and get him to the doctor.

tweety1

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 5:31 pm
Op, how's your ds doing? Hope he's feeling better

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 21 2015, 8:01 pm
Yes, I just signed in to see how your baby is doing.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics