Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
WWYD? Stranger on street asking for ride
Previous  1  2

ora_43

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 11:22 am
OK I think OP what OP did was fine, but I also think it's strange that people are assuming the older man must have been up to no good.

Maybe he didn't take money for a cab because he was embarrassed to take tzedaka. It's one thing to get a ride from someone who's going that way anyway, quite another to take money.

Maybe he had asked men, but they said no, so he asked OP simply because she was the next person he saw. Or maybe he wasn't aware that it would be seen as inappropriate. Maybe he's a bit socially off, or maybe he's just not familiar with the frum community.

IME even men tend to see women with kids as more approachable.

OP again I think you did the right thing. I'm just responding to the other posts saying it was suspicious.

naturalmom5

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 11:49 am
Maybe add this to the I'm going OTD thread

Dh grew up in a very small town in Long Island and no one had these issues

I can understand that in the big bad city no one trusts anyone. But once you throw gender hostility into it, it's too weird for me.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:20 pm
cbg wrote:
When we got there he asked how much the ride was. He thought we were his taxi.

This is too funny! You can't make this stuff up.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 5:14 pm
I think it's wonderful that you offered to pay his fare. That was the best possible example you could have set for your children.

When I worked downtown in a big city, I would often see homeless people. I never gave them money, but I would always offer to take them into the nearest restaurant and let them order whatever they want. Sometimes I would even sit and talk with them, if they were very lonely. I've met some very sweet people that way. ( I've also given people the coat, hat, or scarf that I was wearing that day, if it was freezing cold and they were obviously at risk.)

You could always tell the ones who wanted money for drugs and alcohol, because they would wave you away and not make eye contact.

There are millions of ways to teach chessed to your children, without putting yourself at risk.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics