Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Things to do with a young baby

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 9:28 am
I recently had my first baby, who is less than a month old. I'm getting the hang of feeding and changing etc. but I don't know what else to do, specifically when he is awake. I usually hold him, snuggle him, or put him in a swing when holding him isn't feasible. I would like bonding ideas, things to do with my baby to help him grow and develop into a healthy and happy child. I don't really know what to do with him other than attend to his basic needs, or sing to him, or go for walks outside. He is awake more and more each day and I need ideas of what to do. Thanks!

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 10:06 am
Baruch HaShem, I also just had a baby. You sound like you are doing exactly wHat you are supposed to. Smile at him. Talk to him a lot. When you take him on walks, talk to him about the trees and the dogs and the flowers and whatever else you see. Hold him and comfort him when he cries. In a few weeks you can start reading to him and showing him pictures. You can get on the floor with him and build blocks and knock it down while he watches. Give him rattles and shake them with him. Whatever you do, make sure you are talking all the time. That's how babies learn.

Volunteer

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 1:48 pm
There are some very useful books about what activities to do with babies, from newborn stage onwards. To the library! That's another interesting place you can visit with baby.

Start him on books right away. Cloth or board books with bold pictures are perfect for newborns.

Dance with him. Just put on some songs you like, and waltz around to the beat while carrying him. You can gently pat his back to the beat too. Try songs you listened to a lot while you were pregnant. He may remember them.

Baby massage. Name the parts of his body and face, and your own as too. Say, "mommy's cheek, baby' s cheek. .."

Sing songs and nursery rhymes. Sing about whatever you're doing. Make up the words.

Make faces about a foot away from him and see if he'll imitate you. Stick out your tongue and make a silly noise.

Show him small toys and let him touch different textured objects.

Say his name a lot, he'll learn it eventually. For example, while sorting laundry, say, "mommy's shirt, daddy's shirt, baby's shirt..."

Let him smell things. Hold some things under his nose such as fruits, herbs, a flower, an article of clothing you wore. Anything safe. Newborns' sense of smell is very good.

Have a conversation or act out a scene together with a puppet.

Practice grasping and holding things like rattles.

Suspend a light object over him and show him how to kick and bat at it to make it move. You can tie a helium balloon to a ribbon or yarn loosely on his wrist or ankle, so it bounces around when he moves. Eventually he'll realize the connection and move deliberately to bounce it.

That's all I can think of now. Thse games are for you as much as for baby.

amazingmommy

Post Tue, Sep 22 2015, 3:18 pm
You can carry him around in a baby carrier for good attachment, put him on his stomach. Give him things to hold on to, talk to him in a soothing tone, eye contact, tell him how much you love him!
Sounds like your doing an amazing job!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics