Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed
Husband Arrested
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:44 pm
I was once in a minor fender bender in Brooklyn and the other drivers' car was uninsured, he got a ticket and was told to get insurance. Did the law change? Or maybe the officer decided not to arrest him?

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:50 pm
Getting arrested for not having ins. sounds a bit draconian. Around here your car will get impounded and you will receive a ticket but it's not a criminal offense.

amother
Chocolate

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:12 pm
Did he have an outstanding ticket? That might be the cause.

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:47 pm
Or maybe the guy was caught doing worse but told his wife insurance issues as an excuse?

amother
White

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 11:55 am
Yes, we got him out 11:00 AM yesterday. It's not so simple as we thought. He had suspended license for not paying an old ticket. He claims he just kept on pushing off to pay. Secondly, he had a warrant for failing to appear in court for some other case he is involved. Thirdly, one of his workers is pressing charges against him which is a misdemeanor. I had to call his worker to tell him that he will start working later the next day. After learning that DH is jailed, he went to the police station to press charges. Lawyer claims the best would be to settle on a couple of weeks in prison as soon as possible, so DH can finish with all his legal issues. Please don't judge him, since you have no idea who he is and what he really did and didn't do. Thanks to everyone!!

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:26 pm
amother wrote:
Yes, we got him out 11:00 AM yesterday. It's not so simple as we thought. He had suspended license for not paying an old ticket. He claims he just kept on pushing off to pay. Secondly, he had a warrant for failing to appear in court for some other case he is involved. Thirdly, one of his workers is pressing charges against him which is a misdemeanor. I had to call his worker to tell him that he will start working later the next day. After learning that DH is jailed, he went to the police station to press charges. Lawyer claims the best would be to settle on a couple of weeks in prison as soon as possible, so DH can finish with all his legal issues. Please don't judge him, since you have no idea who he is and what he really did and didn't do. Thanks to everyone!!

I am not judging your DH and I have the utmost compassion. DH needs to figure out why he is behaving like an adolescent. Are you or your in-laws enabling this behavior? Perhaps if he goes for an evaluation the court might take this into account if he already doesn't have a record. This isn't legal advice because we have no idea why the co-worker is pressing charges.

SRS

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:41 pm
I'm not judging you, but you need to tell your husband to come clean and to come clean immediately. His story never added up and it sounds like there will be a lot of protracted legal battles. So he needs to fess up to everything. You also need to take over all of your bills and get your inlaws out of this situation. Whatever you can't afford that is vital, cut something else.

Get the written charges from the co-worker pressing charges and get a lawyer and work from there.

MagentaYenta

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 6:18 pm
And now we have the rest of the story.

imasoftov

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 3:51 pm
amother wrote:

I'm not judging him. But I'm also not sure how to reconcile the two parts I've bolded (I left out "who he is" because I don't see how that could be relevant).

amother
Green

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 8:30 pm
imasoftov wrote:
I'm not judging him. But I'm also not sure how to reconcile the two parts I've bolded (I left out "who he is" because I don't see how that could be relevant).

Right, I'd expect a default judgment on a civil matter, not an arrest warrant.

Last edited by amother on Wed, May 06 2020, 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Scrabble123

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 9:27 pm
I know someone who had a warrant for failing to show up in court for a traffic ticket. He honestly forgot. The police came to his house at night, arrested him, and took him down the station. He was held there until a judge released him on bail later that evening (with the help of a community askan). He later appeared in court and was charged a fine. He did not have to settle on a few weeks of prison time and did not lose his license. His license was also suspended. Either we're not getting the entire story or you need to find a new attorney. You don't really need to share all details with us, but if this picture is the whole one, you should really seek other legal counsel (at least for a second opinion). Good luck.

aleza

Post Sat, Sep 26 2015, 11:52 pm
In most places, you need to have a valid LICENSE (I.e. not suspended or expired), and drive a vehicle which is INSURED and REGISTERED and with a current INSPECTION. If any of these conditions is not kosher... license, insurance, registration, inspection... there can be penalties, including arrest in some places. I think sometimes cops & judges are lenient but they don't have to be. It might depend on the kind of day they're having, what you look like, how many of these four conditions you've messed up on. **EDIT** AND... if you've missed court dates, it can make it a lot worse for you.

Also, you pretty much have to have insurance (and I think proper registration, or is it vice versa) to get the car inspected. Whatever, either way, if you drive long enough without insurance, it's gonna snowball... one condition impacts the others.

Last edited by aleza on Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:50 am; edited 1 time in total

Amarante

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 8:01 am
I think perhaps the husband is still fudging critical facts from the OP because no lawyer would recommend a few weeks in jail for the transactions. Yes the DH appears to be irresponsible but people get probation or community service for these kinds of things because incarcerating every deadbeat who drives without a license or insurance would fill up more than the jails.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 8:25 am
OP, hugs and hatzlacha and may this be a zeman simchaseinu for you all.

amother
White

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 11:25 am
DH has been involved in a case that wasn't initially against him. He didn't appear to court when he was supposed to. Therefore, the judge had issued a warrant. After being arrested for driving with suspended license he was taken to that court. In court he was told that he will be prosecuted just like the others involved. For driving with suspended license he got a fine and his license was taken away for six months. The insurance issue is already solved. I understand that some people may think he didn't obey the law, and he is irresponsible. Firstly, he is a great husband, makes nice money, treats me like a queen, and spends a lot of quality time with the kids. This can happen to the best of us. Even to the ones judging not favorable others. This is probably a test for my husband and myself, and there is no reason for me to fail this test. Before judging, please imagine seeing your husband, family member, or friend handcuffed and shackled helplessly. I am sure you wouldn't be judging at that point. Thanks to all, and have a wonderful Yom Tov.

sequoia

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 11:48 am
Well if he makes nice money the laws of the land don't apply to him

amother
Lime

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 11:55 am
What a nightmare! Hugs to you! Wishing you lots of luck getting out of this mess and a good yom tov!
Please ignore all those judging you and/or dh and just enjoy your family time!
Ive been in your situation, its never so simple!
And if you havent yet, reach out to a community liason. It can make a huge difference!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:02 pm
sequoia wrote:
Well if he makes nice money the laws of the land don't apply to him

Some folks are really ok with ignoring court orders.

Scrabble123

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:05 pm
amother wrote:
DH has been involved in a case that wasn't initially against him. He didn't appear to court when he was supposed to. Therefore, the judge had issued a warrant. After being arrested for driving with suspended license he was taken to that court. In court he was told that he will be prosecuted just like the others involved. For driving with suspended license he got a fine and his license was taken away for six months. The insurance issue is already solved. I understand that some people may think he didn't obey the law, and he is irresponsible. Firstly, he is a great husband, makes nice money, treats me like a queen, and spends a lot of quality time with the kids. This can happen to the best of us. Even to the ones judging not favorable others. This is probably a test for my husband and myself, and there is no reason for me to fail this test. Before judging, please imagine seeing your husband, family member, or friend handcuffed and shackled helplessly. I am sure you wouldn't be judging at that point. Thanks to all, and have a wonderful Yom Tov.

Is he able to get permission to drive to and from work during those 6 months?

amother
Peach

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:37 pm
amother wrote:

Do you have the best local counsel? Since your husband makes good money perhaps he can do afford to get more advice. It sounds kind of draconian to have to spend weeks in jail, become a defendant, plead to something he was not initially charged with and have a record because he ignored court. Try to see if you can get a better resolution. I would consult with another attorney here.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs -> Tehillim Needed