Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you wear such leggings?
1  2  Next

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:34 am
I work in a non-Jewish setting and kind of stand out when I am dressed in a frum uniform (top, cardigan, midi skirt)

I see a lot of long blazer and shirt dresses online that cover knee but are worn with leggings or skinny pants.

Now, I am a type who wears hosiery and covers knees and doesn't wear slits on skirts.
If you have the same tzniyus standards, would you wear this type of leggings:

http://us.asos.com/Dittos-Stel.....vZC8.

If the dress had no slits and covered your knee?
Would you were leggings that are less of hosiery and more of a pant, or even skinny pants?

(just to clarify, my kids won't get thrown out of schools if I show up like that, but it will probably raise eyebrows)

rachel91

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:38 am
I see a lot of people doing it. I'm personally not a fan, but if you like the style, why not.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:39 am
nope, I wouldn't.

Good luck!

P.s. people probably respect your mode of dress even though you may feel uncomfortable! It sometimes looks silly when someone tries so hard to fit in... just my opinion!

Last edited by ahuva06 on Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:41 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:41 am
rachel91 wrote:
I see a lot of people doing it. I'm personally not a fan, but if you like the style, why not.

This is very encouraging to hear. Also among a chareidi/ chassidish crowd?

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:45 am
becca wrote:
nope, I wouldn't.

Good luck!

P.s. people probably respect your mode of dress even though you may feel uncomfortable! It sometimes looks silly when someone tries so hard to fit in... just my opinion!

I do show up dressed more conservatively, but frankly speaking it is not really my style. I would like to have off-days too Smile

ahuva06

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:47 am
amother wrote:
I do show up dressed more conservatively, but frankly speaking it is not really my style. I would like to have off-days too Smile

So follow your gut Smile

bigblueyes

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:48 am
Honestly, I only see girls that are not really covering their knees wearing that style. With a longer skirt it just doesnt look as good.
Why dont you try some fun patterned tights?

Notsobusy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:49 am
I wouldn't. I do see more frum women wearing leggings these days, but they look more like hosiery, not like pants. For me, the zippers make it look more like pants and that would bother me. Like a lot of other things in tznius, it really depends on your community.

I also would think this pair would look strange with socks or pantyhose. If you always wear hosiery, what would you do?

amother
Ivory

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:53 am
I think the Zips on the side are gaudy, and not befitting a bat melech, but if you want to wear leggings that are plain or textured go for it. Solid or textured tights would look more put together, though. Be proud of who you are. Also, making it obvious that you are orthodox will hopefully keep men away.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:58 am
If I wore long unslitted skirts then I think this sort of detail would not work with that sort of wardrobe, so no.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:00 am
The people I see wearing leggings are the ones that wouldnt particularly care to cover their knees or legs. Usually the less yeshivish crowd

amother
Floralwhite

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:04 am
In chareidi or chasidish community would not wear it

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:10 am
DrMom wrote:
If I wore long unslitted skirts then I think this sort of detail would not work with that sort of wardrobe, so no.

Right. So I wouldn't wear it with skirts.

Imagine this type of dress, with hooks sawn in the bottom so it doesn't open up

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:11 am
glutenless wrote:
I wouldn't. I do see more frum women wearing leggings these days, but they look more like hosiery, not like pants. For me, the zippers make it look more like pants and that would bother me. Like a lot of other things in tznius, it really depends on your community.

I also would think this pair would look strange with socks or pantyhose. If you always wear hosiery, what would you do?

wear ankle boots

rachel91

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:14 am
Not among the chassidish crowd, but I've seen lubavitch, who totally cover their knees in jeans leggings and just plain black leggings, maybe try those.

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:07 am
amother wrote:
Right. So I wouldn't wear it with skirts.

Imagine this type of dress, with hooks sawn in the bottom so it doesn't open up

This outfit looks like a robe and pj pants to me so I don't like it for work. Regular leggings with a long tunic can look really nice though imo.

DrMom

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 10:13 am
dancingqueen wrote:
This outfit looks like a robe and pj pants to me so I don't like it for work. Regular leggings with a long tunic can look really nice though imo.

Yes, this looks like something you wear around the house on days when you aren't expecting to leave your apartment.

If I were wearing leggings under a tunic, then I guess those zip-ankle ones are okay. They would n't look flattering on me personally, but they are okay as leggings, I guess.

They do remind me a little of Olivia Newton John's gettup in the final scenes of Grease.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:24 pm
I think the skirt with leggings look is weird. legging are for tunics and mini dresses not long skirts that cover the knee.

I would either wear boots that cover the bottom of the leggings or forgo the look

justcallmeima

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 4:14 pm
Check out Mimu maxi. They have tons of pictures of dresses over jeggings and black leggings. I personally do wear it, but it is definitely NOT mainstream yeshivish or chassidish. This would NOT fly at a Bais Ya'akov PTA meeting for example, but it just might help you "fit in" at work. I TOTALLY get what you mean about fitting in at work. I find it especially difficult in the summer when the women are wearing next to nothing!

Last edited by justcallmeima on Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:30 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 4:27 pm
dancingqueen wrote:

Well obviously these are not leggings.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics