Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Spinoff- driving uninsured gets you arrested?

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:48 pm
Someone posted about her husband driving and not having insurance and being arrested. I don't know where he is, but I was driving in NY and for a ticket for not having insurance because my card was expired.
So under what circumstances would one get arrested for not having insurance?
I understand the importance of having insurance, that's not what I'm asking about.

leah233

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:51 pm
I think it depends on the state. But in no state that requires drivers to be insured (almost all)will the cop let you just drive off if he knows you are an uninsured driver.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 2:54 pm
leah233 wrote:
I think it depends on the state. But in no state that requires driver to be insured (almost all)will the cop let you just drive off if he knows you are an uninsured driver.

When they pull you over, they know if you have insurance or not, right? Cuz it's part of the info that pops up when they run your license.
Also could it be if there's something else also, like outstanding tickets or something like that?

Coke Slurpee

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 3:03 pm
I don't think they can tell wether your car is insured or not. When they run your license they get your info, not your vehicles.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 3:14 pm
Don't forget, he was stopped for holding his phone while driving. The cop may have just decided that with both of these infractions, he is a danger to everyone else on the road.

pause

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 3:17 pm
Taken from website of DMV of NYS:

What If I Don't Follow These Steps?

Do not drive any vehicle that is not insured. You could be arrested or ticketed, and your vehicle impounded, by a law enforcement officer. If you do not follow these steps, your vehicle registration will be suspended
http://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/aut.....rance
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics