Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Help me figure out what to do with my life (job/career)

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 5:58 pm
(sorry it's on the long side, bare with me!) Ok the title makes me sound kinda desperate, I'm not THAT desperate Wink posting anon because some ppl know my story in real life.
Let me give a little background: came back from sem, and right away I got a job as a teachers assistant. Full day. That year, I focused on my teaching, and loved it. After that year tho, I decided I gotta start going to school for something, so I could start saving up, as I wanted to begin preparing for married life soon after. So I took some time to think of what I wanted to pursue. I tried studying to become a relaxation therapist, but the school was on such a low level I felt it was almost a scam, so I quit. Then I tried school to become a medical assistant, and halfway thru realized that is absolutely not what I want to spend the rest of my life doing! I was just not interested. One thing I know about myself, I have to be really interested, otherwise I don't even try to work at it. Then I had all these grand ideas, doula, shaitel macher, fashion designer, makeup artist, sonographer/ultrasound technician, lactation consultant, party planner, life coach, child therapist, nail artist...but here's the thing. I've been at my job for 6 years. I love it, but it's not what I want to spend the rest of my life doing at all. Another thing to know about me, as a married woman with a baby on the way BH, I do not want a job that requires more than a year of schooling. I'd prefer some certificate program or something of the sort. If online and I can do it on my own time, that's fine too. I don't mind if that takes over a year. A little about my personality and likes: I'm pretty outgoing, good conversationalist (lol my husband thinks I'm too good!), I could be creative in a crafty sort of way (think mishloach manos). I love ppl, love babies (like, obsessed!!), love children, love style/fashion, am a big believer in people realizing and believing in their potential and how special they are. In general, I love life and have a positive attitude and try to spread my cheer to other people Smile I'm not looking for a job that'll make us wealthy. Just a job that could nicely supplement my husband's income, but I definitely wanna make more than I am as an assistant. Any ideas based on what I wrote? There's a whole world out there, I'm sure I didn't think of a fraction of the jobs out there!

believeit

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:07 pm
I'd say based on your profile:
-Teaching play group or kindergarten (not assistant)
-Social worker

amother
Burlywood

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:10 pm
why'd you nix the jobs you listed- you don't need a lot of schooling to be a sheital macher, party planner, life coach, doulah....
might help people think of what job would be good for you if we know why you nixed those...

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:24 pm
Good point. I nixed doula for now because I need my sleep (if you'd call me at 2 a.m. to say you're on your way to the hospital, I'd tell you to keep the baby in there as long as you can and I'd come when I get outta bed. Probably not what you want to hear your doula say!) if you are wondering how I will manage with my baby who will surely need mommy often at night, at least I could be at home, in pjs. Also it's my own flesh and blood. All makes a difference! As far as life coaching, I heard that whether you get a job or not is largely based on where you live. I hear it's very popular in LA and NY, but where I live, the life coaches only coach as a side job and do not make a lot off of it. Shaitels and makeup, I just feel like everyone and her mother is doing it! Nails I don't mind doing as a side if I have a better main job. I'm really leaning toward lactation consultant, I think that would be such a special job! Are they really becoming very popular? Maybe I just need that extra push? To the poster who suggested teaching, I don't wanna do that the rest of my life...

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:29 pm
I opened my mobile craft studio after many years of teaching and I love it! I get to interact with all types of people- bas mitzvas, senior citizens.... its very rewarding. not much profit, except summer time, but enough to make it worthwhile- Im very creative and love crafts.

amother
Linen

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:34 pm
What exactly do you do there brunette? What kind of place is it? I didn't understand from your post.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics