Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Chopped meat for meatloaf

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:44 pm
I am making a meatloaf for yuntif but dont want to have to schlep to the store on erev yuntif to buy the chopped meat. Can I buy the meat on Friday and just keep it in the fridge until sunday morning or is it best to buy the meat fresher on motzai Shabbos /Sunday?

crystal

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 6:55 pm
There's really no difference whose fridge the meat sits in over Shabbos- yours or the grocer's. I doubt fresher chicken will come in between now and motzei Shabbos.

It should be fine in the fridge. Or you can freeze it now until motzei.

zaq

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 7:23 pm
Chances are the supermarket meat locker is colder than your home fridge, but whatever. I would freeze it and then defrost. Chop meat spoils quickly, and in any case, raw meat and poultry should not be left in its plastic packaging. The accumulated fluid, even if absorbed onto that absurd little diaper they put on the tray, facilitates spoilage. Take the stuff out of the package, put in an airtight container or wrap with your own wrap, and freeze. If you buy a lot, freeze in smaller portions to speed the process of both freezing and thawing.

Amarante

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 8:40 pm
I normally buy meat and poultry several days before I cook it. Buying on Friday to cook on Sunday is normal for me. I keep meat refrigerated in the meat section which is cooler than the rest of the fridge. I've never had meat spoiled in that time and if it did go bad after two days, I would return it

Rutabaga

Post Thu, Sep 24 2015, 9:02 pm
You can actually prepare the meatloaf now and then freeze it. Defrost it in the fridge overnight and cook it fresh on Y'T.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:05 am
I'm with zaq. Ground meat stays fresh one day in the fridge. I would still use it after 2 days tops if I forgot it in the fridge but it would not be fresh.
I would freeze it now and put it in the fridge Motzei Shabbos to defrost. Definitely prep the meatloaf now and freeze it in the pan raw as Rutabaga suggested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen