Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
Something besides same old roast chicken???

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 12:41 pm
I keep going back to making the same old roast chicken every shabbos because that's just what comes out best (tasty and stays juicy). I mean, I change the spices somewhat, but still it's pretty much the same.

But for yom tov when I can put food into the oven and not have to worry about it sitting in there so long and drying out I'd love to try something different. I don't care if it's on the bone or off, dark meat, white meat, whole bird, whatever. It can be an all-in-one dish (including veggies and grains or potatoes) or just chicken on its own. Any ingredients. No allergies here. Just nothing too saucy (cause my kids won't eat it) and nothing too patchke (cause then I won't make it). Oh, and nothing with ground up chicken - I just have an aversion to that.

Suggestions???

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:07 pm
What interests you?

You can do stuffed chicken breasts rolled up.
Stuffed boneless dark meat chicken with skin still on.
Chicken roll, dark or white (slices like a roast). Can be pickled. Or stuffed.
Slow roasted Cornish hens.

MiracleMama

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:26 pm
I was thinking about cornish hens but last time I made them I stuffed with rice and served every person their own thinking it's already small portion but so much got wasted and thrown out I got so upset. How do I serve/ portion them to avoid this?

ra_mom

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:33 pm
You can butterfly them and serve half per person if there are other courses in the meal. Slow roasting them makes them so so good.

mha3484

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:47 pm
I have been making this for a while and we really enjoy it
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....27807

L25

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 2:51 pm
I made the facebook chicken and rice- someone posted it here and I thought it was pretty good. what about breaded chicken?

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:01 pm
This is delicious and easy.

Chicken with potatoes, prunes and pomegranate molasses

Source: Yotam Ottolenghi

Very easy. You just throw everything into a bowl, mix well together then throw into a large baking/roasting dish.

8 whole chicken legs (each with a drumstick and thigh attached, about 4 1/2 lbs in all)
16 medium fingerling or baby Yukon potatoes, peeled
3 large onions, peeled and quartered
5 oz pitted prunes
3 tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/2 cup soy sauce
6 tbsp pomegranate molasses
1 tbsp maple syrup
5 oz sweet mango chutney
1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns
1 1/2 tbsp oregano sprigs, plus a few picked for garnish

Heat the oven to 400 F

Mix all the ingredients in a large bowl, then tip it all into a large ovenproof roasting or baking dish.

Cover with a lid or thick foil and bake for 10 minutes.

Lower the heat to 350 F and cook for 1 1/2 more hours, stirring every now and then.

When the time is up, remove the dish from the oven, stir once more, cover and set aside for at least 15 minutes to rest and allow the flavors to mingle.

Garnish with a few oregano leaves and serve with a sharp green salad and some good bread to mop up the lovely juices

Amarante

Post Fri, Sep 25 2015, 4:11 pm
Braised Chicken and Parsnips

serve this over brown rice, but bread would also be great for soaking up the sauce.

Source: Editors of Martha Stewart Living. “One Pot: 120+ Easy Meals from Your Skillet, Slow Cooker, Stockpot, and More.

SERVES 4

8 bone-in, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
2 leeks (white and light-green parts only), thinly sliced and rinsed well
½ cup apple cider vinegar
1 pound parsnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch pieces
10 fresh sage leaves
1¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth

Preheat oven to 350°F. Season chicken with salt and pepper. In a medium Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high. Working in batches, add chicken skin-side down and cook until browned, 8 to 10 minutes; transfer to a plate.

Reduce heat to medium. Add leeks and cook until tender, about 4 minutes. Add vinegar and scrape up brown bits with a wooden spoon. Add parsnips, sage, broth, and chicken (with its juices), and bring to a boil.

Cover and transfer to oven. Cook until parsnips are very tender and chicken is cooked through, about 50 minutes.

WASHING LEEKS

Leeks can have lots of dirt between their layers. To clean sliced rounds, place them in a bowl of cool water for a few minutes, swishing them around occasionally. Then lift them out of the water, leaving any dirt behind. Repeat as necessary until water is clean.”

MiracleMama

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 8:59 am
Thank you! Some very nice suggestions!

MagentaYenta

Post Sun, Sep 27 2015, 12:26 pm
What about boning out a small turkey? It's really not hard and there are some excellent YouTubes, all you need is a pair of pliers and a good boning knife. Your first try can take you about 35 minutes, but after that you can get it down to 15. I take the flattened turkey skin side down and smear it with (no cheese) pesto and break up some dried tomatoes and sprinkle them over it. If I have pine nuts and raisins about I'll sprinkle them on it as well. Then you tie and roll the whole thing up. Usually I like to rub the roll with a bit of evoo and roast it on a rack slowly at 250. It stays juicy and no sauce is needed. Let it cool before you remove the strings and slice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey