Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Save boys pajamas for daughter?
1  2  Next

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 9:25 am
I have a bunch of boys and my youngest is a girl. Should I save my boys' pajamas for her? I mean the ones that aren't too boyish but more neutral or only a little boyish. It just seems a shame to buy all new pajamas when I have perfectly good ones .

November

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 10:29 am
My girls love girly pajamas, so I would pass them along.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 1:13 pm
My dd wears all sorts of hand-me-downs from her big brothers, pjs included. Why not? They are just pjs.

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:06 pm
My daughter wears the bottoms under her nightgowns.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:14 pm
Meh. The idea doesn't attract me. I mean, YOU wouldn't wear cruddy old used DUDE'S clothing. It's hard enough when it's girl's used clothing. Hand me downs already have one strike, this is two.

I say hurting her little heart isn't worth a few bucks. I vote no. In fact I am a little disgusted. Sorry. I get that money doesn't grow on trees and I am often Miss Frugal but not this time.

Gemach them. Then come home with something from the gemach that is for a girl.

She will already be a Miss Loner in The Country Of The Boys and Who Are You and How Did You Get In Here.

singleagain

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:48 pm
How old is dd, if she's still a baby and won't really remember and stuff, I don't think it matters, but once she is old enough to have input, let her choose, maybe she'll be a tomboy and prefer something without frills.

DrMom

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:59 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:
Meh. The idea doesn't attract me. I mean, YOU wouldn't wear cruddy old used DUDE'S clothing. It's hard enough when it's girl's used clothing. Hand me downs already have one strike, this is two.

"Cruddy?" Where'd that come from?

I don't dress my kids in cruddy clothing of either gender.

sequoia

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 9:03 pm
Dolly, you are never frugal Smile In fact the vast majority of your advice boils down to "spend more money on clothes and makeup," when for all you know the family you're addressing has a hard time with food and rent.

OP, there's no reason not to, unless there are circumstances we don't know about, like your daughter hating hand-me-downs in general.

Dolly Welsh

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 9:14 pm
True.

But I also counsel making your own bread, which has a potent religious angle, but also saves tons of money, making your own pickles, making your own salad dressing, your own yogurt, making your own clothes if you can get into it, making your own sorbet in the blender, baking your own desserts, and ... wearing synthetic wigs, a big savings.

I am a fan of a low-end mass produced skin cream called Palmer's Cocoa Butter, and castor oil for keeping wrinkles and dryness off all skin all over the body. I advocate doing your own nails, using beige quick-dry polish. If you need any nail polish at all, but some do. I do.

I have little to do with the dry cleaner, and nothing at all to do with nail salons. They have never seen my face.

I also have nothing against fake pearls, and think they can cheer a woman up and give her beauty.

I think Gemachs are wonderful and have donated lots and lots of new unused wigs I bought that didn't work out for me to them.

These pajamas may still have life in them. There are little boys somewhere who should get them, and this girl should get girl stuff, at a gemach. I apologize for calling them cruddy. With several older boys, they sounded tired. But that doesn't have to be the case.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:29 am
That's right they are not cruddy. They are decent pajamas that aren't overly boyish, but nothing girly at all. She's 4, I think she doesn't care too much at this age. But if she objects when she's older I won't make her wear them.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:52 am
While we are on the topic what about winter boots in a climate where they will be worn less than 5 times that season? Blue boyish winter boots? Yes I'm being frugal, hate the idea of spending 100 shekels on boots that will hardly be worn.

Dolly Welsh

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:10 am
Sew a bit of ribbon around the bottom of the legs of the pajamas.

Paint on, or glue on, flowers to the boots.

amother
Babypink

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:24 am
Save it for ur DS for sure ! If she doesn't want to wear it then give it away. Of course buy her one or two girly stuff that she can wear at sleepovers and such but extra pjs is always a good thing!

spikta

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 3:46 am
My daughter was absolutely overjoyed by the car pyjamas her cousin gave her. She refused to take them off for gan the next morning... If you really need the space, pass them on. If not, try and see if she's OK with them.

Simple1

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 7:12 am
It really is a matter of personal preference. Pajamas can be so so cheap to buy on sale- ex. Children's place. And sometimes tossing is a good thing because you're freeing up storage space.

If they are cozy velour pajamas, I might consider keeping them because they can be expensive. But only if your daughter doesn't mind. Its not always easy being an only girl, its good to let her feel special and get girly pjs. Or you can compromise, use some old ones and buy some new ones.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 8:45 am
amother wrote:
While we are on the topic what about winter boots in a climate where they will be worn less than 5 times that season? Blue boyish winter boots? Yes I'm being frugal, hate the idea of spending 100 shekels on boots that will hardly be worn.

My daughter wears her older brother's stuff all the time. BH We have no issues with money, but it is a thing she likes to do, and it makes no sense for us to spend money when we have perfectly fine stuff already. My daughter is considered a fashion leader in our set. I wear my son's Shabbos shoes he outgrew as well. Last winter he wore my after ski boots. She wore his old ones from a couple of years ago and I wore his last year's boots.

amother
Jetblack

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 8:57 am
I liked to wear polo shirts when I was a teen, and so did my younger brothers. Our laundry frequently got mixed up, so sometimes they wore my shirts by mistake and sometimes I wore theirs. I got a couple of their shirts as permanent hand-me-downs when one outgrew me and the other switched to wearing button-downs all the time.

amother
Natural

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 9:45 am
My daughter is wearing gender-neutral pjs her brothers outgrew. But I won't be passing down the ones that are obviously from the boys' section.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:44 pm
It really depends. My daughter is a girly-girl but she was thrilled to wear elmo pajamas which technically were probably for boys. Who cares as long as she doesn't mind.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:50 pm
Dolly Welsh wrote:

I say hurting her little heart isn't worth a few bucks. I vote no. In fact I am a little disgusted. Sorry. I get that money doesn't grow on trees and I am often Miss Frugal but not this time.

Gemach them. Then come home with something from the gemach that is for a girl.

She will already be a Miss Loner in The Country Of The Boys and Who Are You and How Did You Get In Here.

Who are you? Often the most spoilt child, the youngest and the other gender...

My children happen to love family second hand. *I* love vintage which is basically tenth or something hand...

Now, depends on how it looks like.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics