Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
DD's Bas Mitzvah - is this enough food?

chocolate fondue

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 6:55 pm
My DD Bas Mitzvah is on Isru Chag. She inviting about 20 girls.
The food is supposed to be dairy (and I think everyone will be sick of fleishigs by then anyway.)

This is what I'm planning for a menu - do you think it enough?

Starters:
Blintzes (I know how to make them and I can make the crepes in advance and freeze them)

Main Course:
Lasange
Carrot Muffins
Cut up vegetables
any other suggestions?

Dessert:
Cookie dough fudge pie (from Miriam Pascal's 'Something Sweet'
maybe with chocolate mousse or ice cream

I'm a very simple cook and I don't have a huge budget.
TIA!

SRS

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 6:56 pm
Sounds fantastic!

animeme

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 6:59 pm
I would add a lettuce-based salad, and maybe some fruit. Grapes are fine- it doesn't have to be fancy fruit.

It sounds yum! Mazal tov!

ChutzPAh

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 7:11 pm
I'd probably do an ice cream buffet for dessert- a few flavors of ice cream, cute cups, and a bunch of toppings.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 7:56 pm
I would skip the carrot muffins and do a fresh salad. I would also do some lasagna and another type of pasta to suit everyone's tastes.

cbg

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:04 pm
oliveoil wrote:
I would skip the carrot muffins and do a fresh salad. I would also do some lasagna and another type of pasta to suit everyone's tastes.

I would agree. I would also skip the blintzes.
This is what I served at my DDs bat mitzvah about 30 girls

Lasagna
Eggplant parmesan
Baked ziti
Greek Salad
Garlic knots
Cake

ila

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:36 pm
Make sure everyone can have dairy or make a non dairy option - maybe spaghetti with tomato sauce

CatLady

Post Tue, Sep 29 2015, 8:55 pm
Instead of the blintzes and carrot muffins, I'd make an Italian salad like Pioneer Woman's Italian Salad You can use whatever lettuce you have available, and adjust the add-ons to suit availability, expense and individual preference.

As for dessert, is there going to be any of your "namesake" chocolate fondue? LOL

Mazal tov, and enjoy!!

Raisin

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:51 am
I would keep the blintzes. Kids like them and they are a treat. Skip carrot muffins. Make some macaroni and cheese. easy and popular. You can also serve some of the macaroni with tomato sauce and no cheese.

I would do a salad bar and ice cream bar.

spring13

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 6:23 am
I think that sounds great! You don't need to have 3 varieties of pasta+sauce+cheese. Blintzes are fun and yummy, and so are carrot muffins - plus those are also easy to make ahead and freeze. Maybe have some plain pasta available in case someone doesn't like lasagna. Ice cream with dessert is a good idea.

Notsobusy

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 6:29 am
The main thing is to make food that your daughter likes and make sure there's enough of a variety so that everyone has something to eat. It definitely sounds like enough food, I don't think you have to worry about that.

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:14 pm
OP, I don't know where you live, but if it's in a more "in town" area, be aware that lots of 12 year old girls are already watching their figures (crazy as that sounds)--
My aunt made a bat mitzvah for her daughter with lots of pasta etc. and the only thing that got touched was the salad.

ChutzPAh

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 12:41 pm
amother wrote:
OP, I don't know where you live, but if it's in a more "in town" area, be aware that lots of 12 year old girls are already watching their figures (crazy as that sounds)--
My aunt made a bat mitzvah for her daughter with lots of pasta etc. and the only thing that got touched was the salad.

This is so sad.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:54 pm
amother wrote:

That's extreme. I'm in Los Angeles and the girls are very figure conscious but they also chow down at the parties I've thrown. Having veggies or a salad bar is nice but all the nosh aka chazzari LOL got gobbled up. My mother sometimes couldn't believe how much food the girls would eat.

Cut up fruit or fruit salad would be nice and I like making fruit salad because its an excuse for me to make a huge bowl with all kinds of fruit for leftovers. Lol

Ruchel

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 7:34 am
Salads, at 12? lol forget it they won't touch it...

chocolate fondue

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 4:50 pm
Thank so much your replies.

I made up the menu based on things that I could prepare in advance as the Bas Mitzvah is on Isru Chag.

My DD didn't think her friends would go for salads. And they are not the type of crowd to worry about diets yet B"H. I really don't want to do any salads that I have to start checking lettuce for anyway.

I'm going to go with what I've got. If any kids are still hungry, they can eat again when they get home; the party finishes at 7pm anyway.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics