Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
So, who watched the eclipse?
1  2  Next

zaq

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 5:22 am
And was it as spectacular as predicted?
I missed seeing the gigantic moon-- by the time I looked it was a normal size. Nor was it remotely reddish. It was decidedly silvery and not materially different from the last "ordinary" lunar eclipse that I was privileged to see.
The coolest part to me was seeing all the people at every street corner facing the same direction and standing motionless looking up, like the ads for the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind. That, and the general camaraderie among total strangers sharing a rare experience.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 6:00 am
My husband and I were looking at the moon and he tells me there's supposed to be an eclipse tonight. I asked when. He said he didn't know. And that was that! I wish I would have known when, but I wasn't going to look at the moon the whole night. It would have been cool especially since I never saw one besides for pictures.

dimyona

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 6:10 am
It was fascinating ! We rushed our meal, and sat outside on lawnchairs, gazing at the sky for hours. The moon looked like another planet, with a reddish hue and almost completely obscured. At times, the clouds would completely hide it making the entire sky a sea of blackness.

It was an enthralling experience overall for my astronomy loving family.

animeme

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 6:47 am
The gigantic moon was amazing. We saw the first stages of it beginning to go dark on one side. And then the clouds covered everything, and we couldn't see the rest...

workaholicmama

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 7:01 am
We explained to the kiddies a little about it, and we did go out every few minutes to check up in the moon... when I went to sleep it was completely eclipsed, when I woke up, my 11.5 dd told me excitedly that she kept on going outside and the moon was uncovered just like I explained, starting from the left...

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 9:58 am
zaq wrote:
And was it as spectacular as predicted?
I missed seeing the gigantic moon-- by the time I looked it was a normal size. Nor was it remotely reddish. It was decidedly silvery and not materially different from the last "ordinary" lunar eclipse that I was privileged to see.
The coolest part to me was seeing all the people at every street corner facing the same direction and standing motionless looking up, like the ads for the movie Close Encounters of the Third Kind. That, and the general camaraderie among total strangers sharing a rare experience.

It only turned reddish once most of the moon was shadowed.

I missed seeing it huge too (was that only while it was rising?) and while we sat out for an hour to watch it happening and it was pretty cool, it felt kind of anticlimactic, not being as big or as red as was advertised. We totally called the cloud cover bluff, clearly it was a cleanup attempt by the Moon PR Alliance.

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:22 am
We didn't get any views of gigantic, but we did see a couple of stages of the eclipse. No patience to sit and WATCH it (and the view was obscured some of the time, clouds and trees) but we checked on it a few times including when it was supposed to be at its peak. It basically looked like a shadow, which I guess makes sense, but wasn't sooooo dramatic. It didn't even really cover the whole moon, as far as I could tell, there was always some edge peeking out. And it didn't look reddish at all.

sneakermom

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:42 am
It was amazing.

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:48 am
Although the sky was overcast here in Baltimore, we did see the eclipse, or at least a few parts of it.

First we saw it partially eclipsed peeking though the clouds. And then heavier clouds rolled in and there was nothing to see. So we kept coming outside to see if the skies were clearing at all. Then, after half an hour of just clouds, we saw the moon in full eclipse but just barely, because it was mostly obscured behind the cloud cover.

And finally in the last stages of the moon in full eclipse, the skies cleared just a bit and we had a spectacular view for a few minutes. The moon was a deep, deep red except at the bottom where there was a white crescent. We said the bracha oseh ma'aseh bereishis and admired the glowing disc until clouds again covered it.

I was surprised that most of the people walking by our house didn't know about the eclipse.

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:48 am
I was up that night the entire night. Totally could of seen it if I would of known about it... Now I have to wait 33 years!

JMM-uc

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:54 am

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 10:59 am
I have seen that pic all over facebook and refuse to believe there was no photoshop involved.

gp2.0

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 11:50 am
Rubber Ducky wrote:

I was surprised that most of the people walking by our house didn't know about the eclipse.

Lol, we kept a running tally of how many people stopped outside our house to look up at the sky, after they noticed us sitting outside just gazing upwards.

yidishmamma

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 11:59 am
Some of my family members saw the red moon but I missed it cuz I was in the house then. But I did c the moon totally covered . Was all black

seeker

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 1:47 pm
JMM-uc wrote:
I was up that night the entire night. Totally could of seen it if I would of known about it... Now I have to wait 33 years!
I could be mistaken but I thought it was 2033, not 33 years? Should be easy enough to confirm either way. Hang in there! Anyway, imho you didn't miss much...

fbc

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:30 pm
We saw it !! Was overcast where I am too, but was able to see it for a good while. Moon was looking very red, except for a small sliver on bottom right side. We didn't see it so big tho, moon was a lot bigger the previous night. Was really cool!! I'm happy I got to see it Smile ma rabu maasecha Hashem!

Hatemywig

Post Wed, Sep 30 2015, 2:36 pm
Missed most of it, by the time I remembered to look, I saw a crescent and slowly saw the full moon coming back to sight.

sophy

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 1:33 am
Our family found it fascinating.
It was a lesson in earth science live for my kids as well as seeing the wonders of Hashem.
We were able to witness it at every stage as there is a window in our sukkah.
Its supposed to come about once in a generation.

Volunteer

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 2:34 am
It was too cloudy. I was disappointed.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 3:21 am
seeker wrote:
I have seen that pic all over facebook and refuse to believe there was no photoshop involved.

Yes, the moon wasn't that large, not that bright, and position in the sky is wrong. The moon was starting to set in Israel when it turned a dimmer red.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics