Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How Do I get out set-in dirt stains from a coat?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 7:32 pm
My daughter has a beautiful pink coat whos sleeves are almost completely black from last winter. I just started going through my daughter's winter stuff and decided to wash the coat in the laundry and hope for the best. I took the coat out of the washer and the sleeves are just as black now as they were when the coat first went into the wash. I don't have time before yuntif to bring the coat to the cleaners. Does anyone have any easy tricks on how to get out set-in dirt stains without having to re-wash the coat? Thanks

zaq

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 8:22 pm
Chances are the coat is shot. Not much removes ground-in dirt of the type you mention. I have found that even dry-cleaning doesn't entirely erase that kind of grime. However, you can try applying liquid extra-strength laundry detergent or a product like Oxy-Clean, scrubbing vigorously with a stiff brush like a nail brush, letting set between an hour and overnight and laundering as usual. You COULD wash just the sleeves but you would have to do that by hand.

Next year, buy your dd a dark coat.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 8:54 pm
What sort of coat is it? Is it wool? A puffer coat?

amother
Peach

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
What sort of coat is it? Is it wool? A puffer coat?

It is part acrylic part polyester

tweety1

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:00 pm
Try oxi spray. Forgot the exact name. Short, blue bottle. Or if you really wanna try playing around take tide with bleach powder make a paste with hot water smear it on and leave it overnight then wash in regular cycle. This works magic. Regarding the tide with bleach part; you've got nothing to lose.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry