Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
What town in Israel is like this..?
1  2  Next

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 8:59 pm
Dear wonderful Israel people:

Since it's a mitzva to live in Israel, I thought I'd ask this over Sukkos...

Our son has difficulty walking and whenever we think of Israel, we see hills, narrow alleys, slopes, rocky paths, etc...

What would be a nice town for a Yeshivish BT family that is more flat, with nicely paved roads and sidewalks, where it's easy to drive and park in the handicapped stop to go to the supermarket and other shopping, and easy to get to our house. You know, the sprawling ranch house for around $400k, with nice frum neighbors and the Carlebach minyan kiruv shul across the street. And easy to access schools with sensitive and caring teachers... All a few minutes drive to the Alyn Institute: https://www.google.com/maps/pl.....data=!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x1502d79ffa0357d3:0x250e80b114d1ea0e

[Once you narrow down the address, please mail me the keys... Wink ]

I don't mean to be so picky, but just to give you an idea... I welcome all comments. All NICE comments. Or not nice comments worded nicely. Thank you.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:22 pm
Was that a serious post?

1. Land in Israel is expensive, so "sprawling ranch houses" are rare and pricey. You can certainly find homes with no steps. Why must it be "sprawling?"

2. Your link didn't work. Where is this place?

3. For places with excellent wheelchair accessibility, newer towns are probably best. But many older buildings are beings retro-fitted with ramps, etc. And there is a plethora of handicapped parking, bus access, etc.

In general, you will need to have an open mind if you decide to relocate anywhere, whether E"Y or China or Manhattan or London. You can't expect to scoop up your current home and transplant it.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:33 pm
Actually our current home is nearly impossible to make wheelchair accessible, so we wouldn't want to scoop it up. Since we're thinking of moving anyway, we thought we'd consider Aliyah... The Alyn institute is at "82 Shmaryahu Levine Street" according to their website. I didn't mean to be so picky, but just wanted to give an idea of the ideal and take it from there.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:40 pm
In which city is this institute?

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:45 pm
Umm... sorry to flaunt my ineptitude but when I plugged it into google maps, I couldn't figure it out, and it wasn't forthcoming on the website, which is why I just tried to link to the google maps. This link might explain, but I have no sense of where what is in Israel aside from Jerusalem, Tel Aviv, and Tzfas.

https://www.alyn.org/about-us/how-to-get-here

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 9:49 pm
PS: I'd be interested to look into a place with a little of everything I mentioned, or a lot of one, or just missing one thing, etc., I'd weigh the whole package basically.

DrMom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:34 pm
Okay, it is in Yerushalayim. How is it you know you want to live close to tbis instutution, yet have no idea where it is??

I think if you are serious abt aliyah, you need to do more swrious reaearch.

5mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:37 pm
It's in Jerusalem, in Ein Karem. The nearby neighborhood of Bayit Vegan might work for you.

How close do you need to be? Alyn is about 35 minutes from Bet Shemesh and Gush Etzion, less from Ramot.

The further out you go, the more house you can get for your money. A sprawling ranch for 400k seems unrealistic anywhere but the most isolated yishuv, and maybe not even there.

You definitely need to visit.

Ashrei

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 10:57 pm
20 minutes or so to Alyn would be fine... What's Ramot like?
Ranch doesn't have to be "sprawling," but would appreciate a new build or a decent house in good condition... 4 bedrooms + guestroom? how much would something like that go for?

5mom

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:08 pm
Ramot is a mix of mostly Charedi neighborhoods, with many apartments, and some houses, mostly attached. I have never looked for a house there, but I imagine that what you are looking for is about $1.3 million dollars. I don't mean to scare you off, that's a guess.

But like I said, you really have to visit. Are you sure you need to be that close to Alyn? How often will you be there? Where will other family members be going evey day? What are your work and school requirements?

Do you have any friends (or friends of friends) who have made aliyah? Where do they live? Geography and a good commute matter, but it's also really important to find a suitable community.

boysrus

Post Thu, Oct 01 2015, 11:22 pm
maybe Maaleh adumim. But it s not really yeshivish.

Peanut2

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 12:09 am
The cost of housing in Israel is really really expensive. It would be difficult to have a house for that amount, but a nice apartment is certainly possible. The further out you go the more likely a house will be, but I don't know that it matters so much in Israel. Houses and apartments are smaller and generally have fewer rooms of all sorts. They are built differently, with a large living area and small bedrooms.

Are you sure you need to be next to Allyn? There are other centers and programs for kids. People who know better - wouldn't transportation be provided?

ora_43

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 2:21 am
Most towns are more flat than what you describe. All of central Israel is flat, and that's where most people live. Newer towns (1970s+) mostly have decent sidewalks.

If you're serious, I suggest looking at alternatives to Alyn. Jerusalem and Tel Aviv are the most expensive places to live. If you have an option in, say, Haifa or Be'er Sheva, that would open up more possibilities.

Also, you didn't mention what kind of people you'd want around you. Beyond some frum neighbors. Are you looking for a neighborhood that's almost all frum, or a mostly-not-frum area is OK if there's a decently sized frum community? Are you looking for lots of English speakers? And what about jobs?

Tablepoetry

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 2:46 am
Much of central Israel, as Ora says. But not at those prices, unless you are looking at yeshuvim (not midsized towns) over the green line.
You could get an apartment at that price, though, a decent one in some places- four bedroom even. You might also be able to get a modest 'attached' house - but not a sprawling ranch.
Stay away from Jerusalem and Tzfat- very hilly. Haifa is pretty hilly too.

chanchy123

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 4:53 am
Alynn is in Kiryat Yovel which is fairly cheap and Yeshivish friendly. It is a city and Jerusalem (however if you would consider other institutes elsewhere in the country you can have a more flat environment) is hilly, so no sprawling ranch house but probably a nice wheelchair accessible apartment. Also Gush Etzion is not far from Kiryat Hovel, not very cheap but not of a suburb feel, although also pretty hilly.

brocha1

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 5:24 am
Hi I live I ramet beis shemesh it'snot so hilly u also need to be happy as well there are here a few children with wheelchairs u make sure u find a ground floor orssomething with a lift to go to school he will be picked up by a school bus pm me if u need anything else

grace413

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 7:09 am
Wonderful that you are thinking of making aliyah!

You will probably have to make some compromises in your wish list of perfect living conditions (as do we all). However, you never know - I was sad that we couldn't afford to live in Jerusalem but Maale Adumim turned out to be the perfect place for us!

Almost all of Jerusalem is hills, up and down. Duplexes or single family homes are very expensive.

Re wheelchair access or just no stairs the truth is that you will have to investigate building by building. Most buildings of 4 stories or less do not have elevators. You could have a building with parking right in front of your door and no stairs but the building next door could be totally different. There are apartments described as "ground floor" without telling you that the ground floor is 35 steps above street level. Beware.

Check out the NBN website. Contact ALYN, tell them what services you need and find out if those services are available in other places.

Let us know if you have any other questions and we will do our best to help.

Hatzlacha.

Sanguine

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 8:22 am
Why are you set on ALYN for your son? There are many many handicapped children in Israel and they don't all live in Yeushalayim and these children get excellent services too. Who told you that you MUST have access to ALYN?

Ashrei

Post Fri, Oct 02 2015, 12:22 pm
I just scanned the through the replies now, thank you all for taking the time. I plan to go through them again more thoroughly after yontif.

I just wanted to mention that we're not set on Alyn, it's just the only place we know of.

What's the green line?

And for sure we will (would) compromise, especially now that we have some perspective from everyone (thank you). I plan to post more after yontif.

Gut Shabbos, Gut Yontif Smile Smile

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 12:55 pm
I assumed you were given a job offer at ALYN and that is why you want to be close to there. If the actual reason is to get services for your son, then I agree with Sanguine - you don't need to be tied to this particular location.

You need to start reading the newspaper to understand the politics and history of this country, and to contact NBN to start understanding different communities, prices, etc.

http://www.nbn.org.il/aliyahpedia-home/
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions