Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Soup
Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew with Kale

Amarante

Post Sat, Oct 03 2015, 10:13 pm
Sweet Potato and Peanut Stew with Kale

This was good and obviously very healthy. Substantial enough for a main course and great for lunch if you store in individual microwave sage containers. It's from the Good52 Began cookbook.

SERVES 4

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1½ tablespoons minced fresh ginger
2 pounds (900g) sweet potatoes, chopped into 1-inch (2.5cm) chunks
½ cup (95g) red lentils, rinsed well
3 ripe tomatoes, peeled and chopped, or 1 (14.5 ounce/411g) can diced tomatoes
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
Cayenne pepper
4 cups (950ml) vegetable broth, plus more as needed
¼ cup (60g) creamy peanut butter
4 cups (300g) finely chopped curly kale
Pepper
¼ cup (25g) chopped green onions, green parts only
¼ cup (35g) roasted, salted peanuts, chopped”

“1. Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until the onion starts to become translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and sauté until the garlic is fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the sweet potatoes, lentils, tomatoes, salt, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and a pinch or two of cayenne and stir to combine.

2. Add the vegetable broth. If there isn’t enough broth to cover everything by at least 1 inch (2.5cm), add more broth as needed. Stir well and bring to a boil. Decrease the “heat to maintain a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes and lentils are very tender, 40 to 45 minutes, adding more broth as needed if the stew gets too dry.

3. Add the peanut butter and stir until evenly incorporated. Using an immersion blender (or using a regular blender and working in batches), blend until about half pureed, with some texture remaining. It should be creamy but still have visible chunks of sweet potato.

4. Stir in the kale and cook, stirring occasionally, until the kale is tender. Season with pepper, then taste and adjust the seasonings as desired. Serve topped with the green onions and peanuts.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics