Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays
Do you know your stop button?
Previous  1  2

trixx

Post Sun, Oct 04 2015, 3:17 pm
ora_43 wrote:
Yeah, but it's not like most frum people eat an entire plate full of bread and salad, then an entire bowl of soup, then another plate full of chicken. At least not in my experience.

Maybe that's how the people OP knows eat, I don't know.

I eat like half a piece of challah and salad, half a bowl of soup, etc. You can have a lot of courses without treating each one like the only course.

In my experience, if you tell irreligious guests in advance that dinner will be served in courses, they too will eat small amounts of each thing. People only fill up on bread because they assume you served all the food at once and they don't want to be rude by asking why it's just bread and salad. Not because they consider bread and salad a complete meal. Just IME.

Yes, we've learned to warn them about upcoming courses but the first time guests are still always taken by surprise.

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:24 pm
imalady wrote:
are you aware how you sound?

you are grossed out by your mother????

wow,

and you spent the meal watching everyone's plate????

wow

K totally did not mean to come across condescending. (Its hard to know how tones will be read in written word)
I'm not grossed out by my mother, I love her dearly.

What urks me is the concept of constant eating and eating and eating without stopping to register if your body has reached its limit, just cuz the food is there.
Whether its my mother my husband my brother or a stranger... Its not them that grosses me out! Its the habit that bothers me.
I'm not talking about people dealing with eating disorders.
I'm talking about the regular people that are hurting their health because they just aren't paying attention to their stop button.
I used to be not aware of it myself but once I became more conscious of my stop button I realized how most ppl around were not.
Its frightening to see.
I'm not staring but when you aren't busy eating you see everyone else around you at the table whether you want to or not.

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:46 pm
I find when there are a lot of people at the table and everyone is chatting and the meal is shlepping, everyone just picks and picks and eats loads.
I like to keep the courses coming, and I also make them small. I will have 1 or 2 dips, a small piece of fish (or 2 cubes), small bowl of soup and then I put chicken and 1 side dish in the center for people to help themselves.
This is when I have guests, for myself and my family we just have challah, salad and soup or chulent. And even then sometimes I find myself just mindlessly nashing at whatever is there and yes then I do feel sick afterwards.

Its funny how people go on and on about thanksgiving and x-mas - "huge" meals, so much cooking, so much food, being fat, gaining weight, feeling stuffed and sleepy, and for Jewish people that is like every friday night. Or in Tishrei - every day!
Its all about self control and not making loads of unnecessary foods "just because" the recipe was in the ami or something.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics