Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What's your EASIEST and HEALTHIEST weeknight meal?
1  2  Next

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 10:00 am
Looking for ideas of your easiest and healthiest weeknight dinners.

For us, it's beef stirfry. I steam basmati rice in the microwave. I buy a few packs of stir fry beef strips and two bags of frozen mixed veggies. I toss everything into a wok with sesame oil and soy sauce and stir fry until done. Easy peasy.

Looking to add additional easy dinners to my menu.
Thanks!

mha3484

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 10:27 am
Tacos/Burritos/Taco bowls (same ingredients different presentation). I layer rice, beans, corn, veggies such as sweet potato, mushrooms, bell peppers and cheese in a bowl. Sometimes I serve in taco shells or wraps.

Fritatta or quiche

Shakshuka

I use the crockpot a lot which means its quick prep before bed and easy serving.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 10:40 am
I buy skinless chicken, spray with Pam and spices and roast. Serve with fresh salad and roasted vegetables (usually
Broccoli or cauliflower)

I also bake flounder and serve with sautéed vegetables and a broccoli or cauliflower soup. Those are my easiest dinners

tichellady

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 10:47 am
Baked salmon with teriyaki sauce, short grain brown rice in the rice cooker, streamed broccoli in the microwave.
Huevos rancheros- tortillas, eggs, salsa, beans and avacado
Cottage cheese whole wheat pancakes with fruit
Seared tuna and sweet potato fries ( not cheap dinner)
Turkey burgers with broiled pineapple

lefty1

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 11:13 am
these are my easy dinners - they don't require advace prep - you can start them 15 mins before dinnertime
Rice and beans (canned baked beans)
Any form of eggs is super easy and healthy
Tofu and frozen string beans stir fried in grill pan with soy sauce.
Turkey burgers
You can also do stuffed baked potatoes/sweet potatoes with tuna, cottage cheese, veggies etc.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:02 pm
Meatballs in the crock pot with chopped veggies and a seasoned tomato sauce (whole wheat pasta cooked in advance on Sunday)

Salmon, sweet potato and oven steamed veggies baked in the oven

Grilled chicken in a pan, baked rice and quick salad

sourstix

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:10 pm
baked cutlets with a sauce. sloppy joe I add all sorts of vegetables. baked chicken with potatoes and sweet potatoes. meat burgers grilled/fried.

sourstix

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:12 pm
chicken and spices in pressure cooker. I put in frozen chicken. its the last resort after anything else. the food isnt what I love the most but again its my last resort when I am totally wiped out and nothing prepared its a life saver!

sourstix

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:14 pm
salmon fried in olive oil with basil cube and fresh garlic and lemon. easiest healthy and delicish!

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:18 pm
Try approaching dinner with an Israeli attitude. Here it's one of the lightest meals of the day. We often have cheese omelets and cut raw veggies. Dinner last night was pasta with tomato sauce, tuna patties, and carrot sticks with chumus. Tonight was salad, scrambled eggs, melon and baby mozzarella. Dinner never takes more than ten minutes to make, is usually very healthy (well, except for the days that dinner is a bowl of cornflakes because I'd be lying if I said that were never the case) and bonus: it's a LOT cheaper than serving fleishigs.

cbg

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 12:48 pm
There's nothing wrong with having breakfast for dinner.

Yogurt
Fruit
Scramble eggs
Sliced tomato and cucumber

Peanut butter on whole wheat bread with sliced banana
Fruit and greens smoothie (must be kid friendly)

Both are easy, filling, and much healthier than just cereal and milk.

nywife

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:47 pm
I'm a HUGE fan of crockpot recipes. I throw everything in in the morning, set it on low and come back 8-10 hours later to a ready meal. My husbands favorite recipe is unstuffed cabbage.
Extra lean ground beef (or you can use ground veal/ground turkey)
2 onions, diced
Green cabbage, cut into strips
Can of diced tomatoes
Can of tomato sauce
Little bit of sugar
Garlic
Salt
Black pepper

It's delicious!

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:55 pm
allthingsblue wrote:
I buy skinless chicken, spray with Pam and spices and roast. Serve with fresh salad and roasted vegetables (usually
Broccoli or cauliflower)

I also bake flounder and serve with sautéed vegetables and a broccoli or cauliflower soup. Those are my easiest dinners

Wow. We cook 100% the same way!!

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 1:57 pm
Teomima wrote:
Try approaching dinner with an Israeli attitude. Here it's one of the lightest meals of the day. We often have cheese omelets and cut raw veggies. Dinner last night was pasta with tomato sauce, tuna patties, and carrot sticks with chumus. Tonight was salad, scrambled eggs, melon and baby mozzarella. Dinner never takes more than ten minutes to make, is usually very healthy (well, except for the days that dinner is a bowl of cornflakes because I'd be lying if I said that were never the case) and bonus: it's a LOT cheaper than serving fleishigs.

So, I LOVE this idea, but the only way, it seems, to make it work is to treat the other two meals of the day as Israeli, too. Breakfast here is cereal or yogurt and fruit, which is light. And the kids get a reasonably substantial lunch.

What kinds of foods do you serve for breakfast and lunch so as to make a lighter dinner acceptable for the family?

LisaS

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:19 pm
Lentil soup

eggs, israeli salad plus toast

majadra + israeli salad

chicken + WW cous couse + vege tray

Were you looking for kid-friendly or husband-friendly?

Capitalchick

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:43 pm
LisaS wrote:
Lentil soup

eggs, israeli salad plus toast

majadra + israeli salad

chicken + WW cous couse + vege tray

Were you looking for kid-friendly or husband-friendly?

Both! I welcome all ideas and didn't specify my family's dislikes for a good reason! LOL....the list is extensive! Ugh...

Husband and kids do not eat any pasta of any kind, and husband won't eat any eggs. Oh how I wish I could do eggs for dinner! Or a quick pasta!

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 2:50 pm
Veggy soup(from freezer)
Grilled cutlets - smear on oil and spices. Dip in corn flakes crumbs grill for 15 minutes in preheated grill on fish paper.
or
Plain chicken bottoms in the grill for 25 - 30
minutes. With Mashed potatoes
or baked sliced potaotes w salt, garlic powder and paprika.

mashcsch

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 3:12 pm
Baked chicken and brown rice baked in pan together. Put a little chopped onion on bottom of pan, add rice and spices. Put chicken pieces on top of rice. More spices and water. Baked covered.

Rutabaga

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 3:50 pm
Baked gefilte fish with tomato sauce:

Defrost gefilte fish. Open can of tomato sauce. Pour a little sauce on the bottom of the pan so fish doesn't stick. Place unwrapped fish in middle of pan. Cut up veggies to put around fish. I like to use onion, zucchini and mushrooms, but you can use whatever your family likes. Pour the rest of the tomato sauce over the fish and veggies. Season with a sprinkle if salt, pepper, onion and garlic powder. If you have, add a splash of white wine. Bake covered at 350 for an hour and then uncovered for another 30 minutes. While it's in the oven, cook some rice or couscous or something similar that goes well with tomato sauce. We like the Pereg quinoa mixes.

Teomima

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 5:02 pm
Capitalchick wrote:
So, I LOVE this idea, but the only way, it seems, to make it work is to treat the other two meals of the day as Israeli, too. Breakfast here is cereal or yogurt and fruit, which is light. And the kids get a reasonably substantial lunch.

What kinds of foods do you serve for breakfast and lunch so as to make a lighter dinner acceptable for the family?

So during the school year my kids eat extra meals. First they have breakfast at home which is usually just cereal with milk or yogurt. Then they have aruchat eser at school for which I send a sandwich (usually cheese or tuna) and a fruit or veg. Then they'll have a late lunch which is their heavy meal of the day. It's a hot fleish lunch served at school, normally rice/pasta+ chicken/meat+ some cooked veggie. Then after school they'll have a snack, though something simple like carrot sticks, bran crackers, or like today they had oat bars. By supper they're certainly hungry and will eat a decent amount of whatever is served, but the Israeli approach is more about why load your stomach with heavy food you'll only really digest after you go to bed anyways. Lighter food doesn't mean not filling or only a small amount. In my family, unless we're eating out, which we hardly ever do, then we never eat meat at night. Honestly unless we have guests we don't even do meat on Friday night.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen