Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Looking for Student Loans

amother
Papaya

Post Wed, Oct 07 2015, 5:00 pm
DH is a student in the Technion in Haifa. We are struggling financially and are looking for a student loan. We have no clue where to start. DH had trouble finding useful information online. I'm hoping someone on here can help me.

DH is American, Canadian and Israeli. We are looking for a student loan, meaning very low interest until DH finishes his degree.

TIA

wispalover

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 12:08 am
Why don't you apple through fafsa and see if you are eligible? It means paying US prices to go to school there but might be worth it?

amother
Papaya

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 1:01 am
wispalover wrote:
Why don't you apple through fafsa and see if you are eligible? It means paying US prices to go to school there but might be worth it?

That might be an idea. But DH does think he already used up his Pell Grant. Either way, how long does it take to file a FAFSA and actually see some financial aid?

wispalover

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 9:42 am
A pell grant is not a student loan. A pell grant is a federal GRANT given to low-income students with no expectation of needing to be paid back. There is no way of using a pell grant up either. It continues until the degree is finished (pell grant is only available at BA level- if he is in a grad program he is not eligible for apell grant). What he may have used up is the student credit when you file taxes.
FAFSA can take a while to kick in. You need to go to FAFSA.edu, apply with all your info and let your school know you are applying since they are the ones who will receive payment and will disseminate any excess financial aid. If you haven't filed taxes yet this year, you will definitely need to file to be eligible for a student loan.
If he has used up his entire student loans allowance (I believe there is a max of 57k allowed at undergrad level) then you will need to think again.

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 11:00 am
pell grants can be used up if school takes longer. speaking from experience

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 11:02 am
sallie mae, discover student loans, pay 25$ a month while in school and then 6 months still at 25 then it goes up when you finish.

zigi

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 11:03 am
is there a financial aid office at his school they should also be able to help

MagentaYenta

Post Thu, Oct 08 2015, 1:13 pm
The Pell Grant program is expiring and has not been renewed.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics