Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Adobe Graphics Teacher
1  2  Next

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 10:58 pm
Hi!
I've been doing graphics for two years now and know the 3 programs very well: Photoshop, InDesign and Illustrator.
I was just offered a teaching position for these programs to be covered within 12 lessons.
Is there anyone out here on Imamother who can guide me? What HAS to be covered?
Is there anyone here who taught these programs? And is willing to share some tips, notes, ideas?
Thanks in advance!!

kb

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:15 pm
How much are the students expected to learn about all three programs in twelve lessons?!

amother
Gray

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:22 pm
**Disclaimer: I am not a teacher and have never taught this material! Below is some food for thought, but I don't promise that it is the best way!**

I think I would do one program at a time. Probably photoshop, then indesign, then illustrator.
1. I would start with teaching how to open a new document in each program (go through the setting options, including setting transparent background(and that whole concept) in photoshop, etc.).
2. Then teach the tools, (focus on pen tool in illustrator, selections/layers and brushes in photoshop, and all the type tool/linking text box in idesign).
3. After that I would go though the main panels,
(Photoshop: layers, history, masks, adjustments, effects, etc.)
(Indesign: pages, character, paragraph, swatches, effects, layers, links, etc.)
(Illustrator: pathfinder, layers)
4. I think the last step would be going through to drop down menus and picking a few important features to teach in each program. many of them are obvious and easily self taught, like indesign's effects, you might point those out, but not go into it. I think transformations are important in photoshop, and in indesign- under 'object', theres some important stuff.

hatzlacha!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:30 pm
kb wrote:
How much are the students expected to learn about all three programs in twelve lessons?!

They need to have a very good foundation on all three programs and know it well enough to be able to go on their own after the completion of the course. Each lesson will take 2 and half hours.
Is it at all possible or should I say the course needs more time?

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:31 pm
amother wrote:
**Disclaimer: I am not a teacher and have never taught this material! Below is some food for thought, but I don't promise that it is the best way!**

I think I would do one program at a time. Probably photoshop, then indesign, then illustrator.
1. I would start with teaching how to open a new document in each program (go through the setting options, including setting transparent background(and that whole concept) in photoshop, etc.).
2. Then teach the tools, (focus on pen tool in illustrator, selections/layers and brushes in photoshop, and all the type tool/linking text box in idesign).
3. After that I would go though the main panels,
(Photoshop: layers, history, masks, adjustments, effects, etc.)
(Indesign: pages, character, paragraph, swatches, effects, layers, links, etc.)
(Illustrator: pathfinder, layers)
4. I think the last step would be going through to drop down menus and picking a few important features to teach in each program. many of them are obvious and easily self taught, like indesign's effects, you might point those out, but not go into it. I think transformations are important in photoshop, and in indesign- under 'object', theres some important stuff.

hatzlacha!

Thanks for your time and thoughts!!! That's a great place for me to start preparing!

kb

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:36 pm
amother wrote:
They need to have a very good foundation on all three programs and know it well enough to be able to go on their own after the completion of the course. Each lesson will take 2 and half hours.
Is it at all possible or should I say the course needs more time?

So they want someone to be able to kmow each program well enough to do graphics work independantly after 10 hours of learning the program??? In my opinion, an absolute waste of time for everyone involved.

I'd say after if all the classes focused on only 1 program then maybe theyd have enough familiarity after 12c classes. But maybe I'm wrong.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:38 pm
More time, definitely, if that's at all feasible. Just the concept of layers and everything you can do with them (hiding, linking, grouping, effects) took over half an hour with my high school class.

Last edited by amother on Wed, Aug 10 2016, 11:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

seeker

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:52 pm
I agree with more time. In learning programs I've seen in the past they would usually devote that total amount of time to EACH of the programs, I think. Maybe if you are pushing it you could do a little overlapping and cover the 3 programs in 2 such semesters. It's been a while since I used them but IIRC there was enough consistency between the Adobe programs that once you got the hang of one, it was easier to learn the others. But still enough differences that they need to be learned separately. So maybe one course for the first program, and then the other 2 together in a second course.

"well enough to go on their own" in 3 different programs after 12 lessons of 2.5 hours each sounds ridiculous, assuming the students do not have any background knowledge going in.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:53 pm
kb wrote:
So they want someone to be able to kmow each program well enough to do graphics work independantly after 10 hours of learning the program??? In my opinion, an absolute waste of time for everyone involved.

I'd say after if all the classes focused on only 1 program then maybe theyd have enough familiarity after 12c classes. But maybe I'm wrong.

I think so too!! But they told me that Mrs. so and so who lives in a different city teaches it in 12 lessons. But that Mrs. so and so doesn't want to help me claiming that She's better off if I don't take the job and have those girls travel the half hour to her lessons!

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Oct 11 2015, 11:55 pm
seeker, The students have zero knowledge of the programs

Alright. I'll say either more time or I can't do it.
Thanks for your opinions and advice!

kb

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:09 am
I believe Mrs S teaches it in 12 classes. I don't believe the majority of her students end up being successful graphic artists though.

trixx

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:13 am
amother wrote:
I think so too!! But they told me that Mrs. so and so who lives in a different city teaches it in 12 lessons. But that Mrs. so and so doesn't want to help me claiming that She's better off if I don't take the job and have those girls travel the half hour to her lessons!

Honestly it is a sin to tell these girls that after 12 lessons they are ready to go out on their own. You can say that you are only teaching them the BASICS of how to NAVIGATE ie find everything on the toolbar, or that you are giving them a taste of the basic functions but not of actual design theory or typography, color etc (the amount of unskilled and frankly awful design that floods the frum community is my absolute pet peeve) but not that they will learn everything in 12 lessons... how ridiculous... geneivas da'as for the program to be billed as such.

kb

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:23 am
Please make it clear that is not that you can't do it, but that you don't think it's fair because it's not doable.

trixx

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:43 am
kb wrote:
Please make it clear that is not that you can't do it, but that you don't think it's fair because it's not doable.

Exactly - what I was trying to say above. The message, not because you are incompetent or a bad teacher but because you are so skilled that you know it isn't feasible. (especially with this other lady being all high and mighty about it)

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:53 am
I love your replies!
So true! It's g'neives daas and not doable! I'm so glad I asked!! And even more glad that you replied:)

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 12:54 am
trixx wrote:
because you are so skilled that you know it isn't feasible. (especially with this other lady being all high and mighty about it)

LOL

seeker

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:02 am
trixx wrote:
Exactly - what I was trying to say above. The message, not because you are incompetent or a bad teacher but because you are so skilled that you know it isn't feasible. (especially with this other lady being all high and mighty about it)

Totally this. From what you've shared, this other lady doesn't sound like such a great person to work with overall. Your prospective boss should not worry so much about competing with her - you will win out in quality and your reputation will quickly make up for things like time differences.

amother
Brunette

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:29 am
seeker wrote:
Totally this. From what you've shared, this other lady doesn't sound like such a great person to work with overall. Your prospective boss should not worry so much about competing with her - you will win out in quality and your reputation will quickly make up for things like time differences.

This!!! I fully agree!
Coming to think of it, all other graphic designers I came across took courses all over, but not even one friend or co-worker went to Mrs S (she runs these lessons several times a year) So I guess kb was right about Mrs S students..

Thanks again everyone!

kb

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 1:43 am
Graphic design needs knowledge and talent. The software needs to be learned, and the talent needs to be developed. 36 hours isn't enough time for ANY of that.

(I have a degree in graphics. It was the most credit heavy of all bachelor's offered. And even so, half of the girls in my class went on to do things other than graphics. )

Rubber Ducky

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:45 am
I have taught Illustrator, Photoshop, and, InDesign at Maalot Baltimore (college level and college credits) for more than 15 years: They are each separate courses. What you have been asked to do is unreasonable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics