Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chassidim moving to Staten Island
1  2  Next

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:23 pm
We "real chassidim" from Williamsburg are considering staten island but am also afraid of the change. Im trying to find out what kind of chassidim are going... I do want my children to have friends that are their type so they can have a good time socailly. Ive heard that those looking to run away from their chassidus, or the more "with it and out of the box" people are going to staten island, is that so??? If so this place is not made for us. My husband is a real warm chussid, with vasse zucken.... LOL. Were outgrowing our williamsburg apt, and were not typical willimasburg, I dont go covered nor do I go with an extremely long sheitel, my husband is originally from bp and didnt ever want to hear of settling in williamsburg for good. With the prices today in williamsburg and bp we dont have too much of a choice as to look for something in any of these towns. Thats why the staten island idea sounded like something that can work... Any info???

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 7:52 pm
Umm when you move can I please have your apartment? Tna

sourstix

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:01 pm
come to lakewood. but first make sure your kids are accepted to schools. people bought hoiusing here and their kids are not in school this year. but you can try. it doesnt hurt. otherwise I cant help with staten island. dont know a thing about it.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:11 pm
Original poster here:
We would have to stay close to brooklyn for Parnassa reasons.
Are you for real that children are not in school, what ages are u referring to??? I cant believe it!>!>!>! What are their parents doing about the situation???

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:11 pm
I know real chassidim like you, heimish chassidim (not so chassidish- but grew up that way) and "running away" chasidim that moved there or bought there.

It seems like a beautiful mix to me.
But I'm sure you realize that it is nothing like Williamsburg. It a heterogeneous community.

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:40 pm
I believe it's more BoroPark types who are moving to SI. Not Williamsburg.

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:45 pm
original poster here:
Im trying to find out what type of bp is going.. Im more a bp style than a williamsburg style...

ra_mom

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:52 pm
The few people I know who moved are frum, chassidish, bp families. Feel free to pm me. I can connect you with one of them.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 8:53 pm
The ones that I know are fine people. More to the simple side.
Also, honestly I think the only thing that all these people have in common is that they're looking for affordable housing. I wouldn't even say that they're all the same type. I was there for a community occassion a few months ago and was really impressed.

sourstix

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 9:13 pm
I have no idea. one I know just stayed in brooklyn. and is obviously working on the situation. someone will have to open a new school to get these kids in. others I know are home and father learns with them when he finishes work. its horrendous! it hurts so much. and I really think I will say some tehillim for these families. cause the pain is too much to bear. (correct spelling?) lakewooders would love to do something. we need the money. thats basically it. there are chadarim but chasidish not enough. belz just openeed but not enough classes. it will have eventually. it takes time. but other chadarim have place but dont want more. the privately owned ones are making it hard. there are people accepted but its a real neis.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:11 pm
a friend who is modern told me that a chassidish family moved next to her in SI. She described that the woman looks like a very well dressed, put together woman and you really would know that she is chassidish until you saw her husband.

happyfaces

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:16 pm
I think if you live in bp its great cuz your kids don't need to change schools, they can travel everyday to there school in bp.

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:16 pm
amother wrote:
a friend who is modern told me that a chassidish family moved next to her in SI. She described that the woman looks like a very well dressed, put together woman and you really would know that she is chassidish until you saw her husband.
sounds like a boro park couple 😊

And isn't it ON staten island, not IN staten island

amother
Wheat

Post Mon, Oct 12 2015, 10:51 pm
Original Poster here:
Im also hearing from a few agents that its very hard to find a decent house with 4 bedrooms, most are just 3 bedrooms or smaller.. thats rather small for me, even though ill be having a basement and garage maybe... Im just wondering if that is the case...

nursemomma

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 12:14 am
It depends how much you want to spend. I think for 800,000 you can get a decent size house, but if you're looking to spend less, yes, the houses are smaller.
Also, to answer your original post. I know a few people already living there, most are regular chassidisch/In-between families who like you, were looking for a decent place to live. Then there are some that specifically want to get away from bp. ...seems like a mixed crowd, for the most part I heard nice things so far.

frimamom

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:34 am
I am moving there but I would not be considered chasidish. I do however know that there are really chasidish ppl there since there are a few bp yeshivahs picking up kids from there.

kollel wife

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 9:35 am
Can you and your husband take a trip there on a Sunday - in a store you can find out where shuls are - if your husband will join a mincha or maariv, if you walk in a shopping district you may be able to see that as well.

Even a frum real estate broker would have some familiarity - even if they can't "teitch up" exactly how chassidishe or not people are, the broker could tell you locations of shuls and schools and shopping, so you'd be better equipped to scout it out yourselves and form your own opinions.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 11:25 am
my in laws just sold their house to a gerrer family from boro park. Three more (although not sure of their chassidus moved on as well)

Mommastuff

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:49 pm
I saw a map of the area where Ger and Satmar (I think) are moving there. It listed which houses just sold to the Chassidim. Maybe ask one of the locals for a copy of the map. The prices are in the $400K range for a 3 bdrm house.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:09 pm
so what can you get for 400,000? attached or not? garage? how many bedrooms? basement? legal basement? how old would the house be?
so I just looked on zillow. give a look there and see what there is avail.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating