Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Would you let your son/daughter go back now to yeshiva/sem?
1  2  Next

amother
Hotpink

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 1:55 pm
My son is supposed to fly back tomorrow. Should I let him, or push it off? till when? What are others doing?

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:01 pm
No one can answer that question for you, but for some perspective: My friend told me that she was due to go to sem the year of the Gulf war. She and her cousin both asked the same Rabbi. Her cousin was told to go and she was told to stay home.

How does your son feel about going? Is he the type to be able to handle it? What about you? Can you step back and feel that Hashem is orchestrating things and that He is watching you wherever you are, or will this cause alot of tension and anxiety for you?

Whatever you decide, accept yourself and be at peace. We are all different. Wishing you the clarity to decide what's right for you and your family.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:04 pm
I went for my year in Israel during the second Intifada. My parents were not thrilled, but I was 18 and they couldn't stop me. If he wants to go, don't fight him on it, he's a big boy.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:07 pm
Good time to ask now - 2 days after my son went to Yeshiva (for his first time) Smile .

Seriously though, I would not let my child go to any other place of danger - Ukraine, for example. But Eretz Yisroel is different. It is our home (even if we don't live there.) It has extra shemira and hashgacha from Hashem. And it is not considered putting yourself into a makom sakana if you are going there to learn and daven.

That said, if s/he does go, make it clear to him/her that they are not to consider any tiyulim or adventures whatsoever without specific permission from you.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:08 pm
Hi. Ukraine isn't dangerous, except the actual war zone. No one is going there, presumably. Most of Ukraine is a normal, safe, touristy place. Thanks.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:13 pm
I agree with chayalle

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:19 pm
sequoia wrote:
Hi. Ukraine isn't dangerous, except the actual war zone. No one is going there, presumably. Most of Ukraine is a normal, safe, touristy place. Thanks.

Not going anyway. NO offense meant.

sequoia

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 2:22 pm
amother wrote:
Not going anyway. NO offense meant.

That's fine Smile I just didn't want people to think it was an unsafe place to travel.

oliveoil

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
I went for my year in Israel during the second Intifada. My parents were not thrilled, but I was 18 and they couldn't stop me. If he wants to go, don't fight him on it, he's a big boy.

Um... if they're bankrolling it they certainly can stop it.

amother
Black

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 4:08 pm
oliveoil wrote:
Um... if they're bankrolling it they certainly can stop it.
Who said they were?

pond user

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 5:05 pm
Remember the war in the north of Israel 10 years ago? I was booked to fly to Israel as a teen for the very first time. My mother tried to stop me going but since I had paid my own airfare I insisted. When I arrived I felt so safe. Then I heard about the 7/7 bombings taking place back home. Now I was the frantic one trying to reach home to see if my parents were safe.

I guess what I'm saying is... who really knows?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 5:54 pm
My 19. Yr old is flying from JFK tonite for his yr in yeshiva
I'm really not happy about but bad stuff happens everywhere

A few years ago in this very forum I shot my mouth off about how dangerous Europe has become
That night a girl was abducted and raped from a gym parking lot in Lakewood

animeme

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 6:00 pm
Can you talk to the yeshiva and get their take? It's likely that once he gets from the airport to yeshiva, he won't leave it for awhile, since all the school's are on lockdown. It also depends where the yeshiva is.

Chayalle

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 6:05 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
My 19. Yr old is flying from JFK tonite for his yr in yeshiva
I'm really not happy about but bad stuff happens everywhere

A few years ago in this very forum I shot my mouth off about how dangerous Europe has become
That night a girl was abducted and raped from a gym parking lot in Lakewood
And during that time period, my cousin was badly beaten up by three thugs trying to break into his home in Flatbush.

I think everyone has to act according to their comfort zone...but as for me, if you offered me a free ticket to E"Y I'd be on the next plane.

amother
Taupe

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:39 pm
My daughter landed yesterday, to start a shana bet program. I held my breath until she called to tell me she was in her dorm. She's staying there for now, but I'm nauseous with nerves. It's been a test of my emunah, but I refuse to let the terrorists win. DDs fate is in Hashem's hands. Anywhere she goes.

sourstix

Post Tue, Oct 13 2015, 7:42 pm
oy naturalmom I remember that horrible story. it gives me nightmares. oh I need to erase it. I cant imagine the pain this girl went through. how is she today?

amother
Ginger

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 9:46 am
I wouldn't unless home was similar.

oliveoil

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 10:51 am
amother wrote:
Who said they were?

the OP posted about yeshiva and sem. Most kids that age don't have $20,000 lying around to pay for themselves.

allthingsblue

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:34 pm
oliveoil wrote:
the OP posted about yeshiva and sem. Most kids that age don't have $20,000 lying around to pay for themselves.

Actually, by saving up babysitting money and summer jobs throughout the years, or tutoring, a kid can afford yeshiva/sem on a scholarship. Maybe this poster was using her own money as well as a scholarship.

amother
Apricot

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 12:36 pm
sourstix wrote:
oy naturalmom I remember that horrible story. it gives me nightmares. oh I need to erase it. I cant imagine the pain this girl went through. how is she today?

I don't think that is appropriate to ask on a public forum.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions