Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Pizza panic
1  2  Next

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 9:01 am
so ... one of the days that we were in brooklyn ... 3 of my teens travelled by train to Manhattan ... they started off late 4:30 and came back late 10:00 - my sis called on the way home from work "should I bring home pizza" I said "the kids are out and chances are they will find pizza or something on the way home" so she didn't and the kids as I said came home 10pm with 2 pizza pies ... who is hungry when you're tired - not I ... then the next day my little dd says she paid and wants the money back $28 ... so I said I thought my son paid ... and why did you buy 2 pies there aren't that many people and I would have only bought 1 pie thus being more money conscious ... you should have called and asked ... so in the end I decided since I would have paid for them to eat out or bought 1 pie that is all I would pay for - keep in mind money is very tight - she was very upset and so was I - but I felt like I had to stick within my financial means and also teach her that you can't just charge me for stuff I couldn't get ... the dif could have been $10 -15 vs the $28 ... what do you think ???

technic

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 9:16 am
she DEFINITELY needs 2 learn - BUT since shes still learning, can u meet her halfway? explain the sitch (in future she shouldnt spend ur money w out checking, should keep expenses down etc), tell her she SHOULD pay half now- but that since she didnt know all this b4hand, on THIS occasion ull pay half of her half...make sense? Very Happy

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 9:27 am
in the end I paid $14 my son added $10 ... and p.s. they have more money than me ... because the little I get has to pay for bills ... and in this case gas money to get back home ... but she was still angry ... also had my sister bought it for them ... she would have treated and I would have not needed to pay at all ... but she was still angry ... there are phones she should have called me and my 18 year old son should have known better ...

technic

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 9:30 am
ok...I hear u...ur right....

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 9:35 am
it's not that I want to be right ... I just felt really bad ... cause as a mother yes I should have been able to buy them pizza ... I told them so ... I wish I had the $$$ I wouldn't think twice ... and then she was so upset and she was going to camp and I was afraid she would still be upset ...

technic

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 9:59 am
let it go...its no more than it is....shell get over it and so will u and iyh it wont happen again...lots of parents wish they had more $$$ but thats life, and thats how kids learn the value of money Very Happy

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 10:08 am
I think u did the right thing, u gave her a lesson in responsibilty and on money, and she knows u love her and u wihs u could buy her pizza every time she asks.....
just wanted to add, I think ur a great mother and u are too hard on urself!!!!

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 10:34 am
la456 wrote:

just wanted to add, I think ur a great mother and u are too hard on urself!!!!

thanks - but I don't deserve that much credit ...

lamplighter

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 12:16 pm
like I said - too hard on urself!!!!

take some credit!!!

shayna82

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 12:49 pm
yeah two pies sounds like a lot for your crew. I think u did the right thing, if parents dont show kids at that age to learn to save money, and make smart purchases, it only gets worse.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 12:56 pm
shayna82 wrote:
yeah two pies sounds like a lot for your crew. I think u did the right thing, if parents dont show kids at that age to learn to save money, and make smart purchases, it only gets worse.

they though others would be eating as well ... so they brought for them ... but on a weekday that late ... maybe on motzei shabbos ...

Ima'la

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 2:35 pm
definitely think you did the right thing - let them learn to be more careful with money, to call first esp. before spending s/o else's money, etc., etc. and after all, she doesn't need to save her money to pay bills (sorta like you pointed out), so the money won't make a dent in bare necessities for her... sometimes it's a good thing when we don't have enough money to give our kids everything they want - helps us hold back from spoiling them...

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 2:56 pm
A pie had to feed 4 people or 5? Usually a pizza is 8 slices which for 4 people would be 2 slices each. If the mother is also eating, then some eaters would only get one slice. That is a small supper for some people. Extra pizza could be used the next day or frozen for another occasion. It is an understandable miscalculation and the food would not go to waste.
I once allowed my teenage son to go to the shoe store to get himself shoes with my credit card. Before leaving the store, he called and told me that the shoes were $140. I made him return the shoes and come home. I told him that about 50% of a shoe purchase in that store was the sales commission. I went with him to a self-service store for a better deal. I also told him that before ever agreeing to such a price, call home. They do have to be taught to shop rather than to just buy and to try to get the best price possible.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 3:12 pm
so I will look at it as a learning lesson ... hopefully they learned well and will remember ...

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 4:03 pm
ihate being forced to spend money that I do not have . .

southernbubby

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 4:09 pm
That same son who thought that $140 was a normal price for shoes is the same guy who keeps watch over how many cell minutes we have left. He has saved us lots of money by being on top of it.
Money is something that sometimes we win and sometimes we loose. We can only have so much control over it. It could be that $14 was overspent on pizza this week but greenfire will find $14 in coupons to lower her food bill next week.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 4:47 pm
such faith in my abilities ... why thank you southernbubby

MommyLuv

Post Wed, Jul 04 2007, 6:00 pm
Dr. Laura would be proud of you...( I mean that in a good way. Dunno if you agree with her theories or not....)

I think your kids will benefit from your honesty about the $$$....not today, but one day...

Don't feel too bad...They are learning how to become responsible adults, coddling them and paying for everything they want won't make that happen.

Dayzmom

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 5:42 pm
Honestly I feel very bad for your kids. It's not their responsibility to feed YOUR family - that's your job. If you were responsible you would have told them when they left,"Since you are leaving late and will come back late, do not over buy." They were probably so proud of the fact that they were independent enough to bring home the pies, probably excited thinking that everyone would want to eat.

How can you deflate their self esteems so cruelly? Maybe they didn't call to ask b/c they were being respectful of you and didn't want to possibly wake you.

Shame on you for cheating your kids out of their money.

louche

Post Thu, Jan 24 2008, 6:18 pm
dayzmom, what was the point of that remark? even more so now, half a year later?

green already said she felt bad, what are you accomplishing by making her feel worse? but facts are facts. teenage kids are old enough to know that they shouldn't just go and spend and expect Mom to cover the cost, especially when money is tight. The right thing would have been to call Mom and ask. I think green did exactly the right thing, splitting the cost with the kids. That teaches them a lesson where it's learned best--in the pocket--but isn't overly harsh.

green I would have done exactly the same as you, even if I had been rolling in dough.

dayz, shame on the kids for wasting Mom's money--and shame on you for hurling such a horrible accusation at green.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette