Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Wax paper??? What's it for anyway???

Bitachon101

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:02 pm
I almost burned down the house cuz of wax paper. At least that's what my smoke alarms seemed to think as one after another they screamed "Fire! Fire!" As I ran around from detector to detector pushing buttons pulling batteries and losing my mind trying to stop the wailing while my kids looked on terrified.

No there was no fire. I didn't even smell smoke (I guess I should be happy they detect before smoke can be smelled!!!!)

The culprit?? you ask...
Duh. Wax paper.

Um, last I checked the box of wax paper listed one of the uses as lining cookie pans so they don't stick. It even had a picture on the box.
So What Did I Do Wrong??? Anybody???
Somebody??? Enlighten me please!!!!

If you didn't figure out yet... I made cookies, and instead of spraying the pan I decided to use my trusty wax paper that's been sitting in the pantry for quite awhile (now I remember why cuz last time I used it something similar happened!) And I put my cookies in the oven and 3 minutes into baking my smoke alarms started screaming, my kids started crying, my cookies for pulled out raw and then put right back in cuz nothing seemed to be smoking. Yet the alarms shrilled and shrieked so I just pulled the cookies out and resorted to plan B.
And the alarms calmed down. (After taking out batteries and the whole above mentioned fun).
But if wax paper is meant for lining pans then what in heaven did I do wrong? And if its not meant for pans... Well then what's it for and why does the box say its for lining pans???

Oh grumpleness.

I think I'm resorting to staying out of the kitchen. I'll have to hire a cook. Oh wait. No money for that, scratch. Darn.
Um... Any ideas???

Feeling unconfident. (Though you'd never know... Hahaha - good thing there no window display to the mind!)

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:04 pm
Wax paper is not parchment paper.
Use wax paper to wrap sandwiches. (I personally don't buy it as I wrap in foil)
Use parchment paper to line baking pans.

cnc

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:07 pm
It reminds me of the time that I baked chocolate chip cookies in elementary school. I had assumed that parchment paper and wax paper are interchangeable. Well I learned that they definitely are NOT. And so did all the neighbors when they came running to check what the smoke and smell are all about. That was the first and last time I ate wax flavored cookies.

Amarante

Post Wed, Oct 14 2015, 11:11 pm
Are you sure it said for lining pans. If it does, I would contact the company because that's a HUGE danger.

Wax paper is great for layering stuff like cookies, cake slices so they don't stick or pieces do chicken, burgers when freezing. I have a roll that lasts a long time because I don't use often.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 9:26 am
I use narrow strips of waxed waxed under cakes when frosting them. After you frost the cake you can pull out the strips. It's also useful for lining shelves for Pesach.

And in the ancient days before Ziploc bags it was used to wrap sandwiches, because it holds in moisture..

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 9:57 am
The wax paper is also good for wrapping up homemade taffies/caramels....

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:26 am
I have a number of cake recipes made in layer cake pans which call for a circle of wax paper (the size of the pan) to be put in the bottom of the pan to line it. I've done it for years without a problem. I'm sure parchment paper would work too, but these are old, old recipes from long before I'd even heard of parchment paper (if it even existed on a consumer level then).

Amarante

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:42 am
OOTBubby wrote:
I have a number of cake recipes made in layer cake pans which call for a circle of wax paper (the size of the pan) to be put in the bottom of the pan to line it. I've done it for years without a problem. I'm sure parchment paper would work too, but these are old, old recipes from long before I'd even heard of parchment paper (if it even existed on a consumer level then).

You are right and I had completely forgotten watching my Bubbe bake years ago.

But this was only for cakes so the paper was completely covered and the heat was never hot enough to ignite the paper. I also remember when I first started baking that we would cut out from the brown grocery bag and butter it although obviously you would never use paper in an exposed pan like a cookie sheet.

I love reading old cookbooks and many of them do assume a certain level of knowledge learned by working in the kitchen with mother and Bubbe.

joy613

Post Thu, Oct 15 2015, 10:48 am
This might help, op.

http://www.craftsy.com/blog/20.....king/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins